The Secret Life of An American Teenager - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 263 Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
And UGH! I really DON'T like what Adrienne is doing. Yes, I expected Grace to suggest "secondary virginity" to her, but I did NOT expect Adrienne to be interested in it! It just seems so cliche, and it's turning the whole show into a giant ad for abstinence.
I agree here. It just doesn't seem heart felt on her part. I have known girls who wanted a fresh start after they felt like they messed up. But it doesn't feel right from her character. It's just kind of silly, and once again, unrealistic.
#122 of 263 Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 AM

The abstinence/Adrienne thing will be stupid and completely unrealistic if she's for real, which I doubt. She has to be playing it like that for a reason and not because she buys into the born again virgin crap.
I really hope they aren't turning the show into an after school special for abstinence.

They definitely have money but why is the dad hiding it?

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#123 of 263 Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I suspect that George is hiding money from Ann to discourage her from divorcing him and/or to get a better financial deal out of the divorce ("you need me!" "Fine, go ahead and divorce me, but then you'll be paying ME alimoney!")

I'm thinking how that he used a friend's apartment on purpose for that visit with his daughters, hoping he'd get caught (so Ann would hear how broke he is.)

I'm truly hoping Adrienne dumps Ricky (he's treating her like crap anyway) but goes on to have sex with whomever she wants to (such as her stepbrother.)

I just realized that we haven't seen any of the school counselor since the day Adrienne walked into his office and said "I want to sleep with my brother" and the counselor shooed everybody out of his office unless they had an actual school-related issue. Is that really the last we're going to see of him? Those were REALLY funny scenes, but did they just write out his character?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#124 of 263 Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM

#125 of 263 Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 PM

No, I don't think Ben's dad has been inconsistent at all. He was 100% supportive of the two of them getting married WITH PARENTAL CONSENT and then letting the newly married couple live in his home while he helped them out. Since Amy didn't get consent, he doesn't see the marriage as being valid. Since Ben is Amy's boyfriend, not her DH nor the stepdad of the baby, Ben's dad sees a very different role for Ben in Amy's life.

I'm not sure he ever planned to completely support the new couple. Let them live in his house, yes. Make sure they didn't starve or go without any basics? Yes. Do all that and expect nothing in return? I don't think so. I think he always expected Ben to actually WORK and learn the value of working, but he didn't do a very good job of conveying that to Ben.

#126 of 263 Old 03-04-2009, 04:09 PM

Can't say I was surpised she chose to keep the baby. It's not like she was interviewing any more couples.

It does seem kind of odd that there's this big push for everybody to get jobs NOW, rather than months ago. Why didn't Ben's dad offer jobs to Ben and Ricky before now? Why not when Amy first announced her pg? Why not right after the fake wedding?

And it seems more than a little contrived that the job at the Church nursury includes health insurance. Wouldn't Amy and her baby both be covered under George's insurance plan? If not, wouldn't the baby qualify for Medicaid?

At least Amy realized she needs to quit the marching band.

#127 of 263 Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM

I am happy with the turn of events. The insurance thing I don't get either since Amy is a minor she would be covered by her dad's insurance.
I like how everyone is so willing to help Amy keep her baby. They could of saved Amy a lot of heartache though by being so supportive earlier on but better late than never I guess (plus it made for a better drama the other way).

#128 of 263 Old 03-06-2009, 09:22 PM

I kind of figured Amy would end up keeping the baby, but I'm disappointed the show has diverged so far from reality in favor of theatrics. There are ways to keep viewers interested without creating such an unrealistic view of teenage motherhood. I understand that they are trying to avoiding romanticizing teen parenting, but I think they're going a bit too far.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#129 of 263 Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderMae View Post
I am happy with the turn of events. The insurance thing I don't get either since Amy is a minor she would be covered by her dad's insurance.
I like how everyone is so willing to help Amy keep her baby. They could of saved Amy a lot of heartache though by being so supportive earlier on but better late than never I guess (plus it made for a better drama the other way).
when i was 17, i was pregnant with my oldest. i was covered for non maternity on his insurance... i could have mat if he was covering me over 18, or regular coverage since i was under 18 but not mat and be under 18 :sigh: because i was pregnant, i ended up on medicaid.

and well..it got WEIRD. im still trying to figure out the job thing, too. noone really suggested amy get a job until she was obviously showing. umm..duh, if she needed one before the baby came, she shouldve went for it before showing! and then the guys just now getting jobs is strange too lol. bens dad has been telling him he needs a job..sort of anyway..for a while now but then NOW decides "oh, duh! i have a company! i could give him a job!" :headscratch:
#130 of 263 Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 PM

UGH UGH UGH! It was so hard watching Amy in labor, staying in bed, not moving during contractions, etc. I felt like screaming at Ann "Your daughter is in labor! She needs you! Turn off your cell phone and don't keep on walking out of the room! Just stay there with her!!!!"

I'm glad, however, that they seem to be making her birth normal (for a hospital birth) and not adding excessive drama to the birth process itself. I think the doctor was really cool- I liked her attitude.

It was interesting to see all those flashbacks from before the first episode. The whole Jack/Grace thing makes SO much more sense realising they'd only been dating a few weeks when the drama started- I'd initially thought they'd been dating for months, if not years.

And it was great seeing the whole Amy/Ricky hooking up thing. Both of my daughters came away from that understanding how Amy got pressured into sex, and feeling more like it was Ricky's fault and less like they were equally culpable. It wasn't that she "wasn't being careful" and it wasn't quite rape, but it certainly wasn't a healthy interaction. It made both of them think "hey, if that happened to me I'd put a stop to it when I was getting uncomfortable" and IMO it probably empowered a lot of adolescent girls in the viewing audience to keep similar situations from getting too far.

Just thinking about it, this whole show is really opening up various "flavors" of adolescent sexuality as discussion points. Both Grace and Adrienne are fairly safe from accidental pg, though they're taking widely different approaches to it. All we need now is a gay character to round things out (and it wouldn't surprise me if Leon and Donovan foster a gay teeanger next season.)

#131 of 263 Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 PM

She is having a hard time coping (which is completely understandable and I agree her mother needs to be there for her). But the way she was acting was getting on my nerves. I didn't think they let you eat (anything but ice chips anyway) in the hospital once you are deemed to be in labor, not that I agree with it at all. Ben fainting was just stupid.
I did like the flash back part, it was nice to have things pieced together. I just wanted to tell Amy to run when Ricky was manipulating her.

#132 of 263 Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 PM

I'm just ready to see that baby! He's been a long time coming. Two whole years now! The longest pregnancy ever.
#133 of 263 Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 PM

the show just came out last july, shes actually due around now! hehe.

Anyway, wow...thats about how strange that was. i wasnt watching really, but listening and got totally confused when they started the flashback stuff!

the eating in labor thing made me laugh though.

and "how do we even know I have a birth canal?" OMG!

hats scary if someone is 15 and in labor and doesnt know what a birth canal is and that they obviously have one though...
#134 of 263 Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 AM

dh pokes fun at me that I like this show I couldn't help but think though during this past episode..... "and this one time, at band camp..." I'm also dying to find out what she names the baby!!!

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#135 of 263 Old 03-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amj'smommy View Post
dh pokes fun at me that I like this show I couldn't help but think though during this past episode..... "and this one time, at band camp..." I'm also dying to find out what she names the baby!!!
I had the same thought during the first episode as well.

I just can't imagine that she HASN'T thought of any names yet. I understand about avoiding the topic when she was considering adoption, but come on! Wasn't it mentioned in any of the baby care books she read? Hasn't Amy ever named a doll or stuffed animal? Why didn't the whole family (especially Ashley and George) start talking names with Amy as soon as the decision was made?

I wonder if Amy is going to breastfeed. I suspect she'll do it for a few weeks then switch to bottles.

#136 of 263 Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Since I can only watch this show on Youtube, I found a clip of pictures of everybody holding the baby. Amy was, of course, bottle feeding. But for a naive 15 year old girl who doesn't even know if she has a birth canal, I suppose breastfeeding would be completely unrealistic.

I think that is the one thing that irritates me the most about this show. Amy is completely out of tune with her body, and this show portrays it as being acceptable for a 15 year old girl. Sure, it happens quite frequently, that a young girl has sex, but doesn't realize that her female anatomy consists of two holes (my best friend in high school) but I hate the media perpetuating that as okay.

But then again, maybe it will get young girls more interested in their own anatomy. Amy just seems to ashamed of her body, and I hate that.
#137 of 263 Old 03-20-2009, 04:06 PM

My 12 yr. old dd was really taken aback that Amy didn't know she had a birth canal.

#138 of 263 Old 03-21-2009, 10:36 PM

I love this ridiculous show. My 15 year old daughter and I watch it every week and we laugh and laugh.

I wanted to pop Amy when she was whining for the "frip" and the hamburger while she's in labor. Holy cow.

and she was really jamming on that french horn at band camp.

and Adrienne doing the deed during the baby shower was great.

like I said, I love this show. can't wait til Monday.
#139 of 263 Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 AM

Aw, that baby was SUPER sweet. He actually looked sort of like Ricky!

I love the name they chose, too.

I actually really liked this episode and thought it was much less stupid than normal!
#140 of 263 Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
Since I can only watch this show on Youtube,
way ot but youcan watch on abcfamily's site. normally better quality than youtube too
#141 of 263 Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 AM

It was a super sweet episode. Awwwww itty bitty babies are so cute.
I'm so glad breastfeeding was at least mentioned but all the bottles are not going to make it easy for Amy and John to get off to a good start with it. I don't understand why Ann didn't already mention and encourage Amy to start bf'ing soon after John was born. I just find it odd the conversation about bf'ing came after the bottles were already started.

I think it's so funny the dad bought the house next door. I have to say since the parents are being civil to each other it's not a bad idea. I would want it that way if dh and I divorced but that's probably too idealistic and not very realistic.

#142 of 263 Old 03-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Does anyone think they are going to write Molly's pregnancy into next season. I kind of think the conversation with her boss/boyfriend? was leading up to that.

#143 of 263 Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I think it's so funny the dad bought the house next door. I have to say since the parents are being civil to each other it's not a bad idea. I would want it that way if dh and I divorced but that's probably too idealistic and not very realistic.
My husbands parents did this when they divorced. It was out of the city limits, so they had more space between the two houses than had it been in the city. But they did live next to eachother.

Quote:
Does anyone think they are going to write Molly's pregnancy into next season. I kind of think the conversation with her boss/boyfriend? was leading up to that.
On Celebrity Baby Blog, they have said repeatedly that they are going to write her pregnancy into the show. Molly Wringwald has even said how excited she is about that.
#144 of 263 Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 PM

I thought it was pretty appropriate that Ashley named the baby- sometimes she seems like the only family member with a head on her shoulders! Her comment was pretty funny too "a simple name, his life is complicated enough."

Loading up a moving van to move next door is such a George thing to do. A complete waste of money and time (it would have been so much easier to carry boxes next door!) but the kind of thing his character would do, just to annoy Ann. It means that he won't keep on popping into Ann's house just to poop or shave, but he's close enough to pop in unexpectedly anyway.

A few things are annoying me about Amy's parenting already. If she read all those baby care books, why was she clueless about heating up formula in a microwave? And why is she heating up formula anyway, if she's breastfeeding at all (implied by the LC scheduled visit) or if she has any of those free sample single-serve bottles from the hospital.

I like that the baby was set up right next to her bed- is that one of those "arms reach co sleeper" thingies or just a portacrib next to her bed? I suspect that she'll set up Ashley's old room for him once Ashley's fully set up next door. Then again, they may need that bedroom for Amy and Ashley's little half sibling. Could you imagine sharing a room with your uncle, who's only 8 or 9 months older than you?

I hope Grace decides NOT to have sex with Jack, even though she's taking the BCP (and taking them in the hallway at school?????) I hope she thinks it through and decides that she'll wait for marriage, but maybe get married during college rather than after med school. IMO, teens watching this show need to see that abstinence IS a realistic option, just as safe sex is a realistic option.

Anyway, here are my predictions for next season:

1) Ann will discover she's pg with her new BF's baby within the first 3 episodes, possibly on the season premiere.

2) Amy will be fully formula feeding in 2 months' time (although I wouldn't be surprised to see Molly Ringwald nursing one of her own babies in later epidoses- I'd love it if she literally nursed on camera!.)

3) Leon and Donovan will be new foster parents to a troubled teen (possibly a gay teen) who will go to the same high school.

4) The counselor's baby will end up in the daycare center where Amy works.

5) No other teen characters will become pg during the run of this show unless an actress gets pg and they write it into the storyline.

#145 of 263 Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 AM

I think your predictions are dead-on, Ruthla. I wonder if they'll have Molly be pregnant with twins or just one? Twins would be more interesting. Maybe they'll use her real life babies on the show! That'd be awesome.
#146 of 263 Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
It was a super sweet episode. Awwwww itty bitty babies are so cute.
I'm so glad breastfeeding was at least mentioned but all the bottles are not going to make it easy for Amy and John to get off to a good start with it. I don't understand why Ann didn't already mention and encourage Amy to start bf'ing soon after John was born. I just find it odd the conversation about bf'ing came after the bottles were already started.

yeah what a cute huge kid! hehe. i sat there and looked at the baby and yeah, its a cute babe but dang if its not a huge one! i have a 3 week old who was born over 10lbs and thatkids is way huge. obviously theyre not going to give her a NEW newborn but geez

the breastfeeding thing baffles me...i get that shes kinda freaked out about that, but if her mom wanted her "to at least try!" then someone should have mentioned that BEFORE ya know, giving the kid bottles for days already.
and why cant her mom help her if shes bf her own kids? wouldnt she know that you need to start soon? wow that was weird.

omg, the driving off in the truck then backing up right there was hilarious!

Quote:
yeah. i think its kinda strange she was hinting she wanted a kid with the dude she just met but okie d
okie then. watch, shell already be pregnant instead of "discussing" it or something.

either its getting a bit better or im getting used to brenda hamptons weirdness again...hmm.
#147 of 263 Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 AM

My dh said that is not a newborn. But itty bitty compared to my 2.5 yr. old, damn they grow so fast. :

#148 of 263 Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I thought it was pretty appropriate that Ashley named the baby- sometimes she seems like the only family member with a head on her shoulders! Her comment was pretty funny too "a simple name, his life is complicated enough."
That was so funny!
But yeah, I think it was good that she named him, I like Ashley.

I don't think baby-John was a newborn though, but cute and adorable indeed.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#149 of 263 Old 03-29-2009, 12:45 AM

Was anybody really expecting a newborn? These shows ALWAYS use 2-3mo babies to play newborns.

#150 of 263 Old 03-29-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Was anybody really expecting a newborn? These shows ALWAYS use 2-3mo babies to play newborns.
That's what I was thinking too.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page