The Secret Life of An American Teenager - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 263 Old 07-28-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone watch this? I kinda like it. I am just so tired of all the "reality" stuff and was looking for something light, but entertaining.
#2 of 263 Old 07-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xmom View Post
Does anyone watch this? I kinda like it. I am just so tired of all the "reality" stuff and was looking for something light, but entertaining.
I've been watching this show and I do like it as well. Some of the teenage drama gets a little silly at times, but I think they've done a pretty good job of portraying a teenager who suddenly finds herself accidentally pregnant. I also like that they none of the characters are all bad or all good, even the "bad boy" character.

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

#3 of 263 Old 07-28-2008, 02:47 PM

It's my current guilty pleasure. : I don't think the acting is great and I get a bit tired sometimes of the seemingly hypocritical "preaching", but it IS by the creators of 7th Heaven, and that's something I got used to with that show.

I have to admit, though, I like it.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#4 of 263 Old 07-30-2008, 01:41 PM

I was was actually offended on the one last week. Grace (cheerleader) almost got attacked and defended herself with a broken beer bottle; the next day the video of it (caught by a security camera) was on the news and everyone was making fun of her. Hello!!!!??? She almost got raped, not something to make fun of.

Shannon 30 DH 31

dd- Kennedy 03/28/10

BFB on 2/12/13 due on 10/23/2013!!!!!

#5 of 263 Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM

I watch this too, and while I find alot of it unrealistic I like it. Though the acting is BAD, even Molly Ringwald whom I was looking forward to seeing.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#6 of 263 Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM

The acting is terrible. I just want to grab the girl by the shoulders and say, "JUST TELL THEM ALREADY!" Which I know she is but sheesh. And before I am blasted, I was a pregnant teen (at 15 years old!).
#7 of 263 Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyabuv View Post
I was was actually offended on the one last week. Grace (cheerleader) almost got attacked and defended herself with a broken beer bottle; the next day the video of it (caught by a security camera) was on the news and everyone was making fun of her. Hello!!!!??? She almost got raped, not something to make fun of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
The acting is terrible. I just want to grab the girl by the shoulders and say, "JUST TELL THEM ALREADY!" Which I know she is but sheesh. And before I am blasted, I was a pregnant teen (at 15 years old!).
Oh yea that really bothered me!

I am into the show, because my sister (14) is really into it and wanted me to watch. My thoughts are that it is a good show but they do a bad job of character building. Hearing Amy go on and on about "you don't know my parents, I cant tell them" bugs me because they haven't shown us any real reasons why her parents wouldn't be understanding. I don't mean the regular old "I cant tell my parents, they will be so mad" I mean that Amy makes it sound like these are the kind of parents who will kick her to the street and they have never built the parents to make me think that she couldn't tell them.

Jack bothers me. Period.

One thing though is that the show really does make me want to encourage my sister and make sure she understands that if she ever does end up in that situation that she does have someone she can talk to about it.

Angie,
Wife to Eddie. Mommy to Jamie (4), Allie (2) & Luke (born 11-14-11)

#8 of 263 Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 PM

DSD (15) and I watch it faithfully, it's "our thing" now heh...
We laugh out loud at bad acting, cheer on the silliness, ooo, and aaah, in all the cheesy places. The show is not very believable, so many things make zero sense, yet, I like being able to share it with dsd.

When we can't watch it, we record.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#9 of 263 Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't get airing the broken beer bottle thing over and over and didn't like that part either.

I remember my sister got pregnant in high school and didn't tell until she was 6 mons. along. We even shared a bedroom and I had no clue.

Either I was so spacey in the 80's and thought Molly Ringwald was it, but she isn't doing a very good job acting in this show. However, it won't stop me from watching it though.
#10 of 263 Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 PM

I like this show, too.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#11 of 263 Old 08-01-2008, 02:02 AM

i think it's super cheesy and badly scripted, badly acted, and the background music (twangy guitars of doom) remind me too much of 7th Heaven...

...but i still watch it every week.
#12 of 263 Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM

I am hooked on this show, seriously. We had a girl's night out last Tuesday night and dispite my pregnancy fatigue you KNOW I stayed up to watch the later showing of it at 11pm.

I too was a pregnant teen, and not only did I not tell my dad, I myself didn't know for a LONG time as I had frequent bouts with no periods due to being really skinny and really active in sports... it is a miracle I got pregnant with my DD at all with the whole female triad and all that.

So I think they do portray Amy well. I mean, my dad would NEVER have kicked me out (and my mom passed away the day before my LMP of that pregnancy, just so yall know why I say dad instead of parents), but even when my swimming season ended and my period didn't return, and I started suspecting, I didn't say anything to him. A friend's mom noticed I was gaining weight "in all the right places" and she said something to my dad, and he brought it up with me. I don't know if I could have told him myself even if I had known though, I was so scared.

I don't think Grace is a very believable character. Ben is a bit weird as well. I just don't see there being many people out there like either of these two. You know which character I think is the MOST realistic? Ashley... haha! Typical 13 year old (being the mom of a 13 year old).

Courtney ~ Mom to Melissa (1/14/95), Logan (7/21/06), Derek (8/14/08), and Baby Girl (EDD: 9/8/10)
#13 of 263 Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Ben kind of gets on my nerves.
I think Amy's dad used to play on As The World Turns or General Hospital.
#14 of 263 Old 08-07-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xmom View Post
Yeah, Ben kind of gets on my nerves.
I think Amy's dad used to play on As The World Turns or General Hospital.
He used to play on One Life to Live as Ben I am happy to see him on another show.

Jack is so unbelievable to me. One minute he is all about getting sex, then he is oh so I want to be a Christian and then he is I only dated you because they asked me to and now he is .. I really do want YOU. ugh.

Angie,

#15 of 263 Old 08-07-2008, 06:42 PM

I also love this show. I teach high school and do see many similarities in the characters. The one thing that drives me nuts is the constantly ringing cell phones at the high school.....I have never taught at one that would allow that! LOL. And when students were just leaving school on their own? Also doesn't happen- talk about huge safety liability. But for all the bad acting and reality type problems, I do love watching the show. I like the character of Amy and can see her as a typical teen ager. I see many girls like her.
#16 of 263 Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMaedchen View Post
i think it's super cheesy and badly scripted, badly acted, and the background music (twangy guitars of doom) remind me too much of 7th Heaven...

...but i still watch it every week.
me too

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#17 of 263 Old 08-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 14 yo ds got me hooked on this. WE watch together. I remember characters EXACTLY like all of these characters when I was in high school(and i am 33 now!) we live in deep south so religion is big..all the cool jocks would go to church on sundays but be screwing on friday nights, ugh ugh ugh. I remember alllllllll to well. And Grace was very typical for many girls I went to school with. Adrian is too. The only character that I cant believe is Ben. How many 15 year old boys would act the way he does? I want him for my son. He is awesome!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#18 of 263 Old 08-08-2008, 12:03 AM

I have been watching this on Youtube every Thursday night. I knew she was going to keep the baby, because thats the whole premise of the show and all, but I cried tonight when she and her mom were sitting at the table talking.

I think a lot of these characters are believable on some level. Ben, kind of.. my little brother would have been that type at that age. And Jack... on my gosh, please write him off. He is a horrible character. Like somebody else said, very flip-floppy. But then again, that can be teenagers!
#19 of 263 Old 08-09-2008, 02:12 AM

i'm addicted! i am not a very good critique so i don't notice any bad acting...or i pass it off i love the show!

i also didn't tell my mom i was pg until i was 5 months, wore the larger shirts/jackets as well (i could pass that off since it was cold out until i told my mom) and i was turned 19 just a few days before i told her and i hadn't even LIVED in her house for 2 years!

ah....Ben...just a good kid! wonderful portrayal of his relationship with his dad...if only it was all like that! i can see how my dh would be that way if it had happened earlier...heck add 3 yrs to bens age when it happened and thats EXACTLY what my dh did...down to the baby not even being his! so those characters do exist in life...just so happens i think i married the last one

adrian....although she's not portrayed as a very good person on this show i HOPE HOPE HOPE that if somehow i become some don't care deadbeat parent i have a kid like adrian. smart keeps up with school work, keeps a clean house, takes CARE of herself (cooking cleaning etc) and is at least responsible with sex. i mean really what 16 year old can boast being able to take care of herself like she does (supposedly). i hope more shows are on like this when my kids are teens!
#20 of 263 Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM

I looove the show! The acting is horrible, the storyline kinda sucks, and the dialogue is pretty bad at times, so I'm not quite sure why I love it, but I do. I think the girl who plays Amy & the girl who plays Adrienne are intriguing somehow.

I do think it's really stupid how Ben didn't even know Amy on one episode, and on the next one, he suddenly "loves" her. Still, the romantic in me is hoping they get married and keep the baby and Ricky falls into a black hole somewhere.
#21 of 263 Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Oh, and I LOVE Ashley. I think she is hilarious!
#22 of 263 Old 08-10-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
I also love this show. I teach high school and do see many similarities in the characters. The one thing that drives me nuts is the constantly ringing cell phones at the high school.....I have never taught at one that would allow that! LOL. And when students were just leaving school on their own? Also doesn't happen- talk about huge safety liability. But for all the bad acting and reality type problems, I do love watching the show. I like the character of Amy and can see her as a typical teen ager. I see many girls like her.
About the whole students leaving on their own...I don't know how it goes now but when I was in high school plenty of kids had their own cars and drove themselves to and from school. The district didn't provide buses but Metro had a program where they would re-route their buses so that some of us could take the bus home. Also if we wanted to leave, most of us just did that, but made sure we either had a note or didn't let the teachers see us. As far as cell phones, I know most schools don't allow them to be on like that but a lot students still have them and keep them on silent except for between classes or at lunch. However, the constant cell phone ringing on the show does seem a bit stretched though.

I think overall the show is more realistic than some teen shows out there, but obviously played up quite a bit for entertainment value. I could completely see a quiet person like Amy completely freaking out over a pregnancy and not telling her parents (I was a pregnant teen, so I can understand how she might feel-although I did not have the same reservations about telling my parents). I agree that Ashley however does seem to be the most normal teen on the entire show! I'm curious to see what Amy ends up doing with the baby-will she keep it and raise or give it up for adoption? Part of me thinks that the show will sort of use this as a way to popularize adoption for teen moms and show Amy giving her baby up. That would bother me immensely if they did that because statistically most teen mothers raise their children, so if realism is what they are aiming for, it would probably be most realistic to have Amy keep and raise her baby. Not that there is anything wrong with teens who choose to give up their babies, but I don't like the pressure so many of them receive. It's a personal choice that should be made based on unbiased information, not parents, teachers, and doctors telling you what you "should" do and what they think is best. Also, there aren't many teen shows that really acknowledge that there are teen mothers who are in the schools, and who have many friends, and it's not always a sad story. Many teen mothers do great, and I think it would be awesome have Amy have her baby and continue on with her schooling, while dealing with teen issues.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#23 of 263 Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 AM

I've only caught glimpses of the show, but what I did see made me laugh. Mainly just because the title is secret life of an american teenager, or whatever. Yet in reality only about one percent of the american teenage population is rich, white, pretty and pregnant. hehe.
#24 of 263 Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 AM

I really enjoyed last night's show. No complaints at all and I think it was because Jack wasn't on it. I don't like his character at all.

Angie,

#25 of 263 Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last nights show was eh. Ok i guess. I guess it was pretty predictable Ricky would try and be the "good" guy and step up or whatever. I am kinda disappointed in that, I wanted someone *normal* on the show. Ricky to me is the normalest(is that even a word?) teen on the show IMO. I hate Amys dad. He gives me the creeps. I cant wait til it all comes out about him sleeping with Adrians mom. I love the way the show talks openly about sex and its complications, but also involves birth control too. Its a really good show for teens, IMO. My 14 yo son loves this show so much!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#26 of 263 Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Waiting patiently for this episode to be up on youtube....
#27 of 263 Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls181 View Post
Waiting patiently for this episode to be up on youtube....

You can see it on abcfamily now

http://abcfamily.go.com/abcfamily/pa...ager_Full_1007

Angie,

#28 of 263 Old 08-13-2008, 12:59 PM

yeah, we got rid of our cable, and i am mildly intriegued by this show....

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#29 of 263 Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 PM

So I watched it! Anybody else seriously annoyed by Grace's dad? I cannot stand people who think they automatically know what is best for everybody in every situation. Adoption may be a good decision for a person like Amy... but maybe not! Her family is very supportive, her boyfriend is very supportive, and the father of the baby is coming around and wants to be responsible as well. It doesnt seem like adoption is her only choice... and maybe, just maybe, a baby deserves to be with its mother if at all possible.
#30 of 263 Old 08-13-2008, 02:01 PM

It's so very 7th heaven-y cheesy. But for some unexplainable reason, i look forward to it every week. Go figure...

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page