oh, my.....

http://www.drudgereport.com/rr4.htm

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 15 Old 10-25-2003, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My personal theory about Ronald Reagan's years in the White House is that he was mentally out to lunch (Alzheimers?), thought he was making a movie the whole time, and some other group of people were in charge.

Not that that makes him any less culpable, but this theory just seems to help explain to me why everything old Ronnie did was O.K., and that someone else was doing the important, responsible stuff behind the scenes.

I remember when he was elected governor; I was only 12 years old and I thought it was strange that an actor would be elected governor; -

- yikes! twice in a lifetime!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#3 of 15 Old 10-25-2003, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes, AJ.. I know what you mean... twice in my lifetime too.

by the way...somehow I think this is probably true.

"Page 16 of script:

NANCY'S STEP-FATHER: Nancy, I don't know what you see in Hollywood. As far as I can tell, it's nothing but Communists and drug addicts.

NANCY: It didn't used to be this bad -- did it, Mother?

NANCY'S MOTHER, EDITH: Hell, no. When I was here, it was just wall-to-wall Jews and queers."

#4 of 15 Old 10-26-2003, 12:03 AM

Joe Crummy is on KABC radio taking calls about the movie this hour.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 15 Old 10-26-2003, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ketchup is a vegetable! It is not a meat, right? So IT IS a vegetable"

Quote:
they make horrible accusations about the Reagans and nothing is proven they the situations and wordages used are even true.
I remember when RR said Ketchup was a vegetable.

#6 of 15 Old 10-26-2003, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I bet you, the life of the director and the cast of the film would be even more interesting than that of the Reagans.
judy davis? nah... but maybe james brolin.

by the way, from reading the drudge article and their excerpts of the script this mow looks way, way, way too campy to be taken too seriously. I don't think anyone can confuse a John Waters film with a Oliver Stone film. This smacks of Waters.

it will air, people will talk about it the next day and it will be forgotten by day two.

#7 of 15 Old 10-27-2003, 10:23 AM

trabot, what is a mow?

When is this going to be on? It reminds me of the show (comedy) that was on as soon as Shrub was elected, which was extremely irreverent. Forget what it was called,"Oh that George" or something?
#8 of 15 Old 10-27-2003, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

mow is "movie of the week".

I should have written it as m.o.w.

#9 of 15 Old 10-31-2003, 10:31 AM

Still not sure when this is going to be on...

I was briefly watching the O'Reilly Factor on Fox the other night and Bill was discussing this show with 2 TV guys, one worked for TV guide, I remember. Anyway, you should have heard Bill trying to get all het up over how this show was so cruel (of course he hasn't seen any of it), how it will cause a huge boycott of CBS from "the folks" of the Midwest, whom he claimed to really undertand the psyches of. How advertisers were bailing like mad. He was saying this movie was such a "horrible thing."

The TV guys were saying, no it was not cruel, it was funny, no big deal. They have seen a trailer of it. Some of the "cruelist" jokes have been cut. And supposedly Ron never said AIDS was God's punishment for gays, so that was taken out too. (Makes you wonder what will be left in?) It was about Nancy as much as Ron. No, it wouldn't cause a boycott of any import. After all, CSI (biggest show on TV) is on CBS, who is going to stop watching their CSI b/c of a farce about the Reagans?

They were calling it a mini-series, but I thought it was a one night MOW?
#10 of 15 Old 11-01-2003, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I havent' heard that the writer did not research the film.

I did see this:

"While Gillespie -- who acknowledged that he has not seen "The Reagans" and has formed his opinion of it based solely on news reports -- had a number of complaints, he said he was most concerned about a comment attributed to Reagan in one episode. There is no evidence that the president told his wife during a conversation about AIDS patients, "They that live in sin shall die in sin," Gillespie said.

The author of the screenplay, Elizabeth Egloff, has acknowledged that there is no evidence Reagan ever uttered those words, but she told the New York Times that "we know he ducked the issue over and over again, and we know she was the one who got him to deal with that."

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/31/reagans/

edited to add: Not brilliant on her part, I will admit. I also heard Chris Mathews on MSNBC take issue with this statement too. He felt it was very unlikely that RR said it.

#11 of 15 Old 11-01-2003, 07:22 PM

I don't have cable so I can't watch this, however, I have no nice things to say about Reagan so I will just not say anything at all.

Also, these have been made about presidents of both parties and are usually hit hard by critics and are in bad taste-I mean it is network TV!!

I am not surprised by that guy on Fox-this is his mo. I am assuming that none of these people have seen it, right?

I remember that his daughters book was not to flattering either.
At least that is what I remember watching on TV-media!

However, shouldn't people watch it before having such a fit? This has happened so much to many people on network TV. When will people learn? If it is a farce, lets hope its funny. eh?
#12 of 15 Old 11-01-2003, 09:21 PM

I do not see why is should be such a scandale. Just think of all the bits about Presidents, probably numbering in the hundreds, that SNL has done over the last 30 yrs.

Not to mention Conan, Jay, even Johnny...

Is it just because it's prime time?
#13 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 01:03 PM

Regarding Ronald Reagan, president, governor, and politician:

I clearly recall a "Laugh-in" segment in 1968 in which Dan Rowan did the news of the future.

Keep in mind, Reagan was governor of California only two years into his first term of office at this point in time. He had only then begun to express a desire to run for President, and everyone laughed.

Dan Rowan said,

"...News of the future, twenty years from now: ....

.... 'President' Reagan (...canned laughter...) today announced the fall of the Berlin Wall. The celebration was cut short when the Wall was replaced with a moat full of alligators... (...canned laughter...)."

I personally feel that Ronald Reagan had the early signs of Alzheimer's while in the White House. It may have been precipitated by brain damage from the assassination attempt of March, 1981.

My best guess is that he thought he was making a movie for eight years. Everyone else did the work for him. Everyone said he was so good at "delegating" authority.

#14 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 01:20 PM

Well, everyone probably heard the network caved, cancelled the show and sold it to Showtime. :
#15 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 06:04 PM

I just do not see how Reagan should get such special treatment over all of the other presidents before and after him. If you don't like it, don't watch. If you like him before the show, you will like him after and the reverse.

I only wish these people who made such as big deal out of a MOW would put their efforts into real worries of the world.

It will be interesting to see how many watch Showtime.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page