Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fox *ROCKS*

db
Old 04-09-2002, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't see him interview Rosie and he may have been very pleasant to her, but he was less than kind in his column the next week. He just can't get over the incredible bias that by not hiding their sexuality gays are "talking about their sex lives". It's just tiresome and it is by no means spin free. He thinks gays should just stay in the closet and not live their lives freely as everyone else does... that's a hell of a spin!
Old 04-10-2002, 12:28 AM

NM, there is a huge double standard, which I think I have mentioned to you before. If you say, "Last night my husband John and I took our kids to the movies." you are just mentioning something moderatly mundane about your life. If I say, "Last night my partner Susan and I took our kids to the movies" you and Billy O say that I am talking about my sex life. It's BS. I am mentioning something as mundane as you are.

By special rights do you mean not getting fired, having their kids taken for no good reason and not being murdered for who they are? I don't think they are so special.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:38 AM

Why is it about sexuality? It's really just about love.

Mary
Old 04-10-2002, 05:35 PM

Fair enough Nursing Mother... but O'Reilly does feel that way. He compared, in print, Rosie's 'coming out' with her buddy Madonna's "Sex" book and sexually explicit videos etc. That's spin baby! And it's pretty conservative spin.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Nursing Mother
He is neither left or right, didn't vote for Bush or Gore, but yes, he has many conservative leaning, what is wrong with that?
Nothing - Just don't like it in my media (any bias either way for that matter), especially something that many people view as a "news" source.

Actually, I don't think that you can ever get the FACTS from television. it's a fact that people who get their 'news' from television know much less about what is actually happening than those that get their news from other sources. Too bad it has all become so sensationalized since it has the potential of being a valuable medium.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:28 PM
glh

He had a segment on breastfeeding in public last night. A senator from NY was on because there is a federal bill pending to make it illegal to harass a women for pumping at work and to make all public breastfeeding legal. Even though O'Reilly stated that he supported breastfeeding, he acted like kind of a jerk about the whole thing. Did you see it Nursing Mother?
Old 05-11-2002, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

The "Oh Really?" Factor
Bill O'Reilly spins facts and statistics
By Peter Hart
If it’s spin to back up your arguments with bogus facts and statistics, and to dismiss numbers that don’t fit in with your preconceptions, then Bill O’Reilly’s Fox News Channel show isn’t, as he repeatedly claims, a "no-spin zone"-- it’s Spin City.
During an interview with National Organization for Women president Kim Gandy (O’Reilly Factor, 2/5/02), O’Reilly claimed that "58 percent of single-mom homes are on welfare." When Gandy questioned that figure, O’Reilly held firm: "You can’t say no, Miss Gandy. That’s the stat. You can’t just dismiss it. . . . It’s 58 percent. That’s what it is from the federal government."
But by the next broadcast (2/6/02), O’Reilly was revising his accounting: "At this point, we have this from Washington, and it’s bad. 52 percent of families receiving public assistance are headed by a single mother, 52 percent." Not only is that a different number, it’s the reverse of the statistic he offered the previous night-- not the percentage of households headed by single mothers that receive welfare, but the percentage of families receiving public assistance headed by single mothers. That’s a distinction that O’Reilly did not attempt to clarify; he seemed unapologetic about emphatically putting forward an inaccurate statistic the night before.

here's the link to the article in its entirety.
http://www.fair.org/extra/0205/oh_really.html
Old 05-11-2002, 10:53 AM
glh

Well the letters posted last night were all in favor of public bf and Bill didn't make any dumb comments. I sort of forgive him.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by glh
Bill didn't make any dumb comments. I sort of forgive him.
How come we forgive commentators for not making 'dumb comments'. : ????? Since they have such power to affect change and promote thinking, shouldn't they have to uphold a certain amount of 'smartness'?
I'm totally dumbfounded that this unquestioning continues...
Old 05-11-2002, 02:31 PM
glh

I think almost everyone in our society tends to make dumb comments about breastfeeding (except of course the mamas on this board). That's what I was talking about. I don't agree with everything O'Reilly says, but I do believe he has a different viewpoint than almost all the commentators or newscasters on ABC, NBC and CBS. Just because he is more conservative than the others doesn't mean he is ALWAYS wrong. FWIW, I only watch O'Reilly once in awhile and I do not rely on TV as my sole source of the news.

User Tag List