Appropiate student-teacher ratio in France - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 year old son is attending the kindergarten at the French School in Caracas, Venezuela. There are 27 children in his classroom, and 1 teacher with 1 auxiliar. All parents beleive at this point that this is not a good ratio, since the children have been totally unsupervised and many problems have risen since we beleive there are too many children and not enough adults.

Does anyone have an idea of how we can approach the school? The director says that in france a 2:27 ratio is fine, but during recess there are 150 children of the preschool who play together in one same space and only 4 teachers. Is this legal? We (the parents) have offered to volunteer during recess (where most of the kids get bullied, hurt or receive agressions from other kids) but the school wont allow us to do it.

Please help with any way how we can approach this

Mariana

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

this seems standard and consistant with what I am presently living in France (children in kindergarten & elementary school) ..., there ARE issues at recess & classes are up to 29 students, sometimes even 30, teachers DO complain about it (AND go on strike about it every year, several times a year too...) , but the government is NOT replacing quite a number of the teachers who are retiring so that's a logical consequence

am not saying that it's ideal, mind you.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your answer!! Do you know how open the french school are to parents volunteering at school to aid with the children at least in recess time??

At the French school in Bogota parents can voulunteer to help the children during lunch time, but no idea of how things are in France

thanks again,

Mariana

Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 PM

in my experience, ... am afraid that french schools are NOT open AT ALL to parents wishing to help at recess times .... am sure they'll find a good reason such as ... lack of inssurance cover, or something similar ....

i've heard of ONE kindergarten who was thinking that maybe the newly arrived indian mother could volunteer for an art class (her speciality back in India) but in my experience it's very rare ....

i was once asked to come and help cover some library books (= no contacts with children !)

and in France you are not allowed in at lunch time (lunch time is not covered by teachers but by people paid by the local city, different status ....)

am talking about state schools

now, if you happen to register in a private school, rules might be different

Old 04-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Hi,

In French school you can help for an activity outside of the school like go to zoo,or swimming pool or in "classe decouverte" it's like a camp with all the kids of the class but i think it's the only thing you can do.Rules in France are very differents than in USA,like Isa say maybe if you register in a private school it will be different but i'm not sure!

SAHM of Callie (08/03/2009) and Cleo (03/15/2012).

bfinfant.gifsewmachine.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif

I'm French so excuse my mistake

http://cmamankafait.canalblog.com my blog in french!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 AM

yes, the only school I know of where parents are actively encoraged to participate a lot ... is a religious school (protestant, not catholic) which is independant from the state system as far as the curriculum goes, and they are very flexible about most things, drawing in quite a few foreigners who can then find accomodation to their particulary cultural habits/preferences etc ....

User Tag List