Scared to have a baby in France - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-01-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scared to have a baby in France

Hi there,

I'm new to this website. I have been living in France for a year now and am likely to be here for some time yet. I have a 17 year old and a 2 year old. When I gave birth last time I had a severe post partum hemorrhage and very nearly died. I lost pretty much all the blood in my body and had several transfusions of blood and plasma. Afterwards I was told that it was due to a torn cervix.

I personally feel it may also have been down to a rushed and poorly managed induction and the midwife hurting me with her nails when she tried to stretch my cervix (sorry for tmi).

I am worried that my son, being now 2 and a half, will not benefit from a sibling close to him in age if I do not have another baby again soon. However I am so worried it will happen again and that I will die this time. I also think I may have an unrecognised history of bleeding (I've had several smaller hemorrhages through the course of my life).

Though an elective C-section has occurred to me, googling suggests C-sections are just as likely to result in hemorrhage, and I have had a lot of problems with anaesthetic before. But most of all I would prefer not to have a caesarean because I want to feel the instinctive rush of love I felt after my first birth and which hours of natural labour and pain can help to elicit. (Being away from my baby for hours during the hemorrhage I had some trouble bonding with him afterwards).

I do not speak any French yet and I have been quite worried by visits to the Doctor here - perhaps it's just my Doctor, but the standard of care and understanding of illness seems a little old fashioned. (and recently my 2 year old had chicken pox and the Dr told me to put fluorescent dye (!) on the spots and prescribed 3 different medicines (!?) but no basic calamine lotion) I would like to be able to find a really good obstetrician, preferably one with expertise or experience in Post Partum Haemorrhage and who can speak English. But I know the chance of me finding anything or anyone is very small. I know I need to learn French and I do struggle to know how anything works here.

Can any one advise me or offer any suggestions. Has any one been in a similar situation?

Thanks x
#2 of 4 Old 08-02-2014, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
No advice about your medical condition. Hugs.

I would suggest using a translator for all medical visits. I couldn't imagine doing something so important in a newly learned second language. Be gentle on yourself. Learning a new language can be hard. Even if your doing well in a new language medical terms are complicated.
#3 of 4 Old 08-03-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
could you send me details of your location by private message ?
i could try looking up things near you ...
#4 of 4 Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Isn't Dr. Michel Odent in Privitiers, near Paris? Or has he retired? He pioneered water birth in an ob setting, as I recall.

Dr. Ferdinand Lamaze practiced in France too.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page