Kaiserslautern - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I'm going to be moving from the U.S. to the Kaiserslautern area in March, and was hoping to begin networking so our move isn't such a lonely one.

I currently have a 3 year old daughter, a 2 year old son and a 5 month old son. We intend on having one more, probably while we are in Germany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 PM

hi rene,
did you read the thread "help me find a herbalist"? the mom posting there is living in the area
we're from stuttgart.
good luck with your move!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM

I'm a little over an hour away in the Bitburg area. What branch of the service is your husband in?

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

AF, he's a fire fighter. We're planning on living on the economy, but since there are a number of different FDs he could be assigned to, we couldn't start looking if we wanted to...
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 AM

Living on the economy is great

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

Old 01-10-2009, 11:15 AM

momtomializ - we're living in K'town at the moment and have a 2 year old son with number 2 on the way. We live on the economy and love it. If there is anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to contact me.

Not long and you'll be here a feeling like a local!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mijkij, thank you so much, and also to those of you a bit away from town. I'm so excited to begin our new adventure! It all starts in the next week or two w/ the return of dh from deployment, then 2 weeks leave, then only 4 or 5 weeks to get everything in order! That IS an adventure!

Mijkij, where will you be giving birth? I had my youngest (6 months today, boy time flies!) at home, and I'm certain I could never go back to the hospital. We are planning on one more (and, considering dh's long-time absence and my fertile tendancies despite exclusive BF, one might be able to predict the timing, lol)

So please, ladies, tell me a bit about yourselves! What branch are you all associated with, how long have you been military, where else have you lived/been stationed? What do you and/or your husband do?

As I said, we're Air Force, and my husband is a fire fighter, which he enjoys imensely. We're currently in Cheyenne, WY, and this is our first base. I am kinda a military brat - my dad was Army when I was young (in fact, I was born in Landstuhl!), but seperated when I was 6 or 7. We then lived in NC for 7 years while he went back to school, after which he got a job in Ohio, where I went to high school and college (ohio university) and met my husband (who went to Urbana University, which was very near my parent's home).

Most people might be intimidated by the whirlwind of activity that is about to descend on our household, with the return of dh and nearly immediate move overseas, but our life in general has been a veritable whirlwind. We met in 02, got engaged (and bought a dog!) in 03, married in 04. near the end of 04 he enlisted, at the end of 04 we got pg. DD was born in 05, ODS in 06, we... bought a new minivan?... in 07 (lol), and YDS was born in 08. Obviously, 09 will bring about an overseas move, and if all goes according to plan 10 will bring a 4th and final baby. phew, it'll make your head spin!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:30 PM

Hi Rene,
We are about 1/2 an hour away in a town called Homburg. They have a great flea market here every month that a lot of the US military people come to (one of the few chances I have to hear native English speakers, even if only second-hand!). We have been here since early this past fall and are non-military.

Good luck with your move. It is an adventure!

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:32 PM

I have a good friend in Landstuhl which is very close to Kaiserslautern who would probably love to meet up. She is German but speaks perfect English. I'll PM you her e-mail.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a short FYI to you in the Kaiserslautern area:
if you are still among the BF mothers (I haven't checked birthdates here) or pregnant, there are LLL meetings held in English in Landstuhl. The Leader's name is Melanie Feddeck, she is American (married to a German) and lives in KL. You can find her contact # at www.lalecheliga.de, go to "English area" (LLL of Germany).

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I'm getting so excited - we leave here in just a couple of weeks and will be visiting family for a bit, will be in Germany by end of April. Andrea - big thanks, I'm very involved w/ LLL, looking forward to making new league friends!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

We're finally here! Got into town about a week and a half ago and are starting to get settled. We're still in the temp apartment on base and will be for another three weeks, until the house we're renting in Rutsweiler opens up.

DH is back to work (24 hour shifts) and we're ready to start meeting people and learning our way around! I've tried calling Melanie (LLL) a couple of times, machine picked up and I feel funny leaving a msg in English...

Any ideas on how to meet people? Preferably English-speaking individuals with a bit of a crunchy streak?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 AM

HI! We're in Baumholder, but plan to be moving closer to your area this summer. PM me, maybe we can get together.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker

User Tag List