Moving to Dusseldorf for 6 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-22-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband found a job for 6 months in Dusseldorf. I'm a bit puzzled as to going or not because I'm 27 weeks pregnant and we have a 2 year old. I have a great team of midwives here in PA. I wouldn't travel with my husband as he needs to leave in two weeks and there is no way I can be ready in such a short notice. So, my question pretty much is would I be able to quickly find a midwife there that would take me and speak english? Are the birthing experiences similar in Germany and in the USA? I just need to make up my mind so any of your advices or comments are welcomed! Thanks everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-22-2009, 05:10 PM

I found this in the archives which may be helpful.

hh2.gif

#3 of 10 Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks it was really helpful!!! I may just let my husband go by himself for a couple of weeks to check things out and get to know the area where we will be living then go meet him with DS and the dog
#4 of 10 Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 AM

wow! That archive was a blast from the past. I miss Hollycrand. She knows everything about Germany!

I lived in Duesseldorf as an expat. Definitely meet up with the American Women's Club Duesseldorf http://www.awcduesseldorf.org/ Since it's only 6 months and you're pregnant you might want to just stay put. If you have a strong backup at home, stay home. You will not get a homebirth in Germany and midwives are simply not the same. Go, visit while you still can, you may want to have a travel partner because my son was 2 at the time and I will never fly with him again after those transatlantic flights. If your husband has private insurance you will be able to find excellent english speaking doctors. Many women are there when their children are young and often have their children there because it's a great time since they won't be able to work. I thought our pediatrician was a little weird and we saw as little of him as possible. Put my son's well child visits 6 months behind but no complaints. We had public insurance Depending on how you feel about health care and vax you may want to just stay put for well child visits as well. There are many cultural differences and opinions when it comes to medical care. Homeopothy and such is often used but if you have issues (hope not!) with your new little one, stay home. With private insurance the doctors are excellent and will treat you very well because they are very easily getting well paid for their time.

If your husband has an apartment in Kaiserswert where most Americans with families live you will be set. Lots of english spoken and it's a beautiful place to live to boot! If he has an option that is where he should look if you plan on visiting often or living there full time after the baby is born. We lived on the other side of town but my husband is German and I speak enough and had lived there before so I was fine with a child. The public transport is very good and my son and I had a wonderful time running around the city. It really is the most perfect city in Germany. Large enough to have everything and small enough to be totally manageable. You will be there for Christmas with is really great!!!! Christmas is Germany is the BEST!!!! Breast feeding in public is a total non issue. You will want a good stroller. I strongly recommend wearing baby and pushing the 2yo. A double stroller would be way too big. If you can do it strollerless, all the better but that's just me. German children are quite used to sitting in strollers for long periods of time. Many tram stops are easy to walk on and off but some are still older and you will need help with the stroller. Usually you can just smile at someone and they will help you. Yes, many speak english but don't but if you are friendly people will go out of their way to help. Just get someone's attention, smile, point at the stroller and say "bitte" (bit-a) That's german for please. Than thank them with Danke (dank a) or Danka Shoen (dank a shun) And, by all means just say please and thank you in english it will be just as well received!!

If you go through the American Women's club you will find an instant group of friends in the same boat and it will be easy. Not crunchy, but perfectly nice anyway :

I think I could keep going. If you have any questions please PM me. I'd be happy to answer them or at least try. We moved there to be near my husbands family and HE hated it so we moved back within a year. So many wonderful opportunites there. Enjoy!!!!

Victoria:-)
#5 of 10 Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thank you so much for all the great info! I'm not sure where we will live yet but I'll find out next week when my husband gets there. I will for sure make a list of questions (when they come to me) and see if you have answers for them! Once I know where we'll live then I can ask you more specific questions like where to find toy stores, baby stores, groceries, etc... Until then thanks a lot for your input.
#6 of 10 Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 AM

since you will most likely be living in an apartment everything will be within walking distance. Unless his company rents him a house for 6 months and a car etc... In Germany, that is quite an undertaking. That is probably the thing you'll like best. You can do so much on foot with a stroller. To the bakery or the grocery store. There are small groceries and bakeries everywhere. Bring as much over the counter medicine with you as you think you will need because it's more difficult to find there. You have to got to an actual pharmacy to get tylenol. You may just find many things you'll want to stock up on there though. My favorite are acetominophen suppositories for little ones. Just stick it up their butt and be done with it. No droppers or anything! There is a fabulous toy store right in Kaiserswert and also several downtown. Duesseldorf is home of The Ko which is short for Koenigsalle. It Rodeo Drive meets Germany. You will LOVE the toy stores with Playmobile and all the traditional wooden toys. The Euro isn't astronomical against the dollar at the moment either. These days you can get most things in the grocery store. You may need to go to a drug store, which is different then a pharmacy for diapers etc... That's just to have more choices. Basics are still at the grocery. Take your re-usable grocery bags. That's a must. You have to pay for them otherwise! Yes, 10 cents for a plastic garbage bag. If the weather is favorable you will have a great time just exploring! Like I said, anytime, just ask!!!

Hope the belly is doing well. DS#1 was born at The Birth Center in Wilmington, DE. Are you in SE PA?
#7 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 AM

ya should not go with ur husband u made the right decision

Dennis44.
#8 of 10 Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM

nevermind - really old thread...
#9 of 10 Old 03-25-2010, 04:36 AM

Interesting post dude....discussion are always helpful in one way or the other. Thanks for giving out information. It’s really nice and mean full.

JN0-100 000-100 JN0-350 220-702
#10 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 PM

hi - for anyone else moving to dusseldorf with a baby or toddler, you can meet others in a similar position through this facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dusseldorfmamasandpapas/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page