Paperwork for after the birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-21-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone,

I'm in Dusseldorf and due in 5 weeks. I'm trying to find exactly what I need for after DS is here. DH and I are Canadians and we are only here on visas until April. I was told we both need our birth certificates and also our marriage certificate. I need to make sure as I don't have any of those here with me. I would have to order copies before the birth but don't want to go thru all the trouble if I don't need them. If you know any other documents needed please let me know. Thanks to all of you.
#2 of 11 Old 09-27-2009, 08:52 AM

Not really sure I can help but did the Standesamt tell you that you need your birth certificates and marriage certificate? Are you trying to get a Geburtsurkunde/birth certificate for your little one? If so, you will most likely need an officially translated copy beglaubigte of official copies of the birth certificates and a marriage certificate. I think I needed these too but was married in Germany so I only had to get my birth certificate officially translated in order to get married here.
#3 of 11 Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 AM

Yep, you will need both birth certificates and your marriage certificate (official translations--so you need to take in your originals to the translator) along with your visas. You don't have to do this immediately, but I'd get those certificates mailed to you soon! Because this will be how you start your process for the child's Canadian birth certificate and passport, you'll want it all done well before you fly home.

Mama to a wild girl and a chill lil' man , wife to a mad scientist , and resident of a country that I love to hate and hate to love.
#4 of 11 Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM

has anyone done all of this for the US? I am wondering how long the process will be for us trying to get the birth cert, ssn and passport come January-- ish :P

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#5 of 11 Old 10-10-2009, 03:49 AM

I have gotten my US birth certificate but I cannot remember exactly how long it took. If you have already requested the documents for yourself, I think you will get them before Jan. If you need a translator, I can look and see if I can find the name and number of who I used in Berlin. Just let me know.
#6 of 11 Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 AM

sorry I was unclear. I still have all my US stuff (I needed it when we moved here to get my residency visa etc) but I am wondering how long it will take, once we apply for my DS stuff (e.g. we have to apply for him to get a US SSN, Passport etc).

Mostly I am just curious because we'd like to visit my family in April and I am wondering, if its anything like the green card process is, if we can apply in Janurary or Feb for his US Passport etc and get it before we leave in April or if it has some sort of insane waiting period..

#7 of 11 Old 10-11-2009, 04:55 AM

I think the passport was pretty quick, in just a few weeks. I believe I brought more paperwork than required and a photo since I was paranoid their photobooth would be broken.

Though contact your local embassy and ask what the turnaround time is.

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/chi...issuances.html
#8 of 11 Old 10-11-2009, 05:36 AM

thanks for the info and sorry for the thread hijack

#9 of 11 Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 AM

Yep, it doesn't take so long. After you get everything in German for the baby, you'll start the American process. Then, the passports go to the top of the production list, because they're already abroad and obviously need them sooner than those back home. I believe the entire process took us 6 weeks-ish, which is long before your April trip.

Mama to a wild girl and a chill lil' man , wife to a mad scientist , and resident of a country that I love to hate and hate to love.
#10 of 11 Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 AM

I called the US embassay (in Vienna) and was told once the forms for everything is submitted the process time would be around 1-2 weeks. So we should receive everything well within a month..

#11 of 11 Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 AM

This is the translator I used. If you need one, pls tell her you were sent by Jennifer B.
http://www.jap-de.com

Edit: I recently used BRIGITTE GROVE in Dresden and she was much cheaper. PM if you want her email addy. (Everything was done online or through mail.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page