German translation help (bitte) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to prepare the signs/email which will go out after birth but I am having trouble writing this part in German so its not rude but clear that we have 'boundaries'

Can anyone help me?

Quote:
We need plenty of rest the next two to four weeks. So while you are welcome to come to our home for a brief visit, we ask you please call prior to arrival (no exceptions), and bring a warm meal, flowers or groceries with you. Anyone who wishes to stay longer than ten minutes should start or fold laundry, do dishes, walk the dog or sweep the floors.

We are first time parents and need any help we can get.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 AM

I'll gladly do this for you later today. Got to get some stuff done first.
#3 of 8 Old 11-16-2009, 07:21 AM

This just sounds to me like you don't want visitors. If I were to get the message, I wouldn't stop by. That's just me. When I had my kids, I wanted everyone to stop by and see how beautiful they were, and just to say hello. Most people will bring something without being told.

Maybe you have extenuating circumstances?

Your message borders on rude. Just MHO.
#4 of 8 Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your concern kimellett. I am open to other suggestions on how to handle the situation..

We actually are fine not having visitors.

Our friends all live out of town, my family and friends are anywhere from 8-19 hours away by air. We have no support system here at all, unless we hire help. Literally.

My DH family live in the area but when they come to 'visit' us they expect a home cooked hot meal everytime, they usually overstay their welcome (2-5 hours unannounced) and bring a huge slew of their misbehaved childrens friends with them who are usually sick or recovering from being sick. We live in a 250 sq ft apartment and there is no where to 'escape' if they are here.. It is horrible to be honest.

They only come to our house to eat, drop off their kids for us to watch (again without announcing it), or to argue with my DH, and I have no interest in them coming by wanting us to cook and play waitstaff on them per usual for a few weeks after birth. I am going to really need my DH help and attention . When they are here, it takes all of his energy to meet their needs.

Unfortunately my DH wants to stay on good terms with them, so if we just tell them they can't visit, it won't go over well, and so I feel I have to make a blanket sign for the door for 'everyone'.. the 2 friends we do have, live an hour away, and will know who the sign is directed at and have already been told clearly they are welcome.

I am really open to other ways of handling this, but I felt like a sign on the door was the easiest and least dramatic way to go..

#5 of 8 Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM

Well I don't see it as rude, I see it as honest and very possibly necessary for what you've described. Plus, Germans (and I assume Austrians too) are very straightforward people. I think most would far prefer this note to the sidestepping "Southern hospitality" sort of note, IMO.

Mama to a wild girl and a chill lil' man , wife to a mad scientist , and resident of a country that I love to hate and hate to love.
#6 of 8 Old 11-16-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think most would far prefer this note to the sidestepping "Southern hospitality" sort of note, IMO.
true there is this HUGE cultural differences thing with how direct people are here... esp. in this region.

#7 of 8 Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Revising my earlier take on this. Sounds like you need to be painfully blunt with these people, and the message is necessary. I don't envy you having to put up with them! I'd even ammend the part about bringing dinner to say something like even take-out would be appreciated. I don't see them actually bringing a home cooked meal.

Good luck!
#8 of 8 Old 11-17-2009, 10:40 PM

Good luck!

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page