moving overseas and ttc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so we have exactly one month before our big move to Austria (I know this is the Germany tribe but alas I think there are only two of us in the Austria tribe)
and... we.... are.... freaking.... out..... its tense and stressful and neither DH or I have any patience for one another's bull crap. Perspective? basically none. Scared to death? Basically all. We are just trying to remember how pretty it will be. How interesting it will be. How refreshing it will be.

plus I'm in the middle of ANOTHER tww (will this ever end?)

Remind me ladies, that moving overseas is a great and fun adventure and that I WILL be able to learn German!! (and while you're at it, maybe remind me that one day I wont be spending half of each month waiting to see if I'm knocked up.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 01:54 AM

Hi! I'm not actually from this tribe at all, but saw the title of your post on the main Tribe page and it caught my eye. We are considering an overseas move if my husband gets a job and of course it's exciting, but it's been stressful, too...just not knowing so much about how it will turn out with kids, money, leaving family and friends, etc. So, if we do go, I should expect things will get much more stressful. If you have any advice, I'd be happy to hear it. Are you shipping stuff, and if so, how are you doing it? Is it a temporary move or do you think you'll be there forever? I just starting reading a book called Raising Global Nomads by Robin Pasco. Have you read any of her stuff? I guess she is a well-known ex-pat author.

It sounds like a great adventure in a beautiful place, so close to many cultures. Hang in there!

Sarah
Old 11-17-2009, 02:05 AM

I'm so sorry...I just put together what ttc means. Good luck with that, too. That certainly adds another dimension of stress, doesn't it.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM

Well, we moved over here (Germany) about three years ago, and I was 20 weeks pregnant at the time. So I know completely about the fears that go along with everything...plus the fears of finding a doc immediately and insurance and whatnot.

Honestly, I'm SO glad that I've had children over here! We actually got pregnant with the second this year, partly because we wanted him to come in Germany instead of the States. The reason being is that the insurance systems in most EU countries are standardized, cover natural birthing/remedies, and are extremely preggo/family oriented. My homebirth will be fully paid for!!! They also pay for pre- and post-natal midwives to come to your house and give you helpful tips about everything from caring for baby to stomach-strengthening exercises. It's heavenly.

And about the language--you will learn what you WANT to learn. If you work to become fluent, there's no reason that you can't be within a few years. If you sit in your house and stay away from the public (which I've done a lot because of newborns and PPD and such), you won't get as much. My suggestion would be to enroll in Volkshochschule (like community college) immediately upon arrival for a German course. After the baby comes, you can maybe still go to the classes, or you could try to supplement at home by getting Rosetta Stone or Berlitz software.

So I say--be prepared to enjoy yourselves. Know that it's hard to make friends here they tend to stick with people they grew up with, and offices aren't usually as "social" as in the US. But there are ways--seek out online forums (Stillen und Tragen is a German MDC), always seem willing to learn about the language/culture, and get out to neighborhood events often. Also, TRAVEL!!! Sooo many beautiful things here!!! Even if you have rough times, you'll discover that it's all totally worth it in the end for the experiences you'll never forget.

Good luck on your move, and with TTC!!

Mama to a wild girl and a chill lil' man , wife to a mad scientist , and resident of a country that I love to hate and hate to love.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Hi, Servus

there are plenty of Chrunchy Groups in Austria (and of course in Benelux, Germany etc).

Normally the crunchy circles are a little bit more skilled in English and happy to invite and integrate non-native speakers easily.

If you have just arrived new in town, a trip to the local organic shop is usually a good start, ask the staff and look at their blackboard.

If you need more specific help, just message me.

Good luck and enjoy your stay

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::
Old 11-18-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

so good to hear other women's are moving overseas and having a good time. deep down I know that its going to be pretty amazing and life changing but right now, I'm just in fear mode.

yes ttc AND big move AND having had a stressful year and a half before all this (which might be why we are having a hard time ttc in the first place) just adds to what moving to a new country can bring.

and good idea summermay, about checking out the local health food stores. I also found a doula/parenting center that looks like a good place to check out.

anyhow, thanks to all you mamas for your kind words. I really appreciate it

: )
Lapis
Old 11-29-2009, 07:16 AM

basically everything trinitylou said was pretty much what I wanted to say.

Also even in my small Austrian town, most doctors speak really good english.

I have learned a lot of german in the last year just by listening to my DH (whos native) speaking to others.. but I also HIGHLY suggest classes as soon as you can. I waited way to long to start and it would of made everything easier had I had gone right into them.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 PM

We have been in Germany for about 15 months now and it is an adventure! There are many things that I really do like about being here, but there is also a lot that I miss.

I think the biggest obstacle for me is not speaking the language, but even in my case I am able to get by (my husband speaks a little, I speak none). I wish I could have taken a class when we first got here, but the courses at the Volkoshcule were cancelled due to low enrollement. I can't afford Rosetta stone and don't have the motivation for most self-study methods! I did manage to take a few weeks of an intensive immersion course this fall, since my daughter is now in KITA, which has been helpful, but I am still pretty lost most of the time! I have met a few friends who are either Germans who speak English or native English speakers, which has helped immensily. However, getting any of the bureaucratic stuff done seems to be a bit of a nightmare. Even with all of this, it is still possible to enjoy yourself!

We have been able to do some traveling, which has been a great advantage to being here. I do wish we had a car though....even though it is expensive to have a car over here, it would be cheaper than what the car rentals are!

Hope you 2ww went well and that you are getting excited about a move.

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!

User Tag List