do you drink the water (tap water)??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We moved here from Portland Oregon, and they have delicious tap water so I am used to drinking water from the tap. Is is safe here? I realize most Europeans prefer bottled water, but in the interest of reducing (and saving money!!) I wonder if it's really necessary?

We live in the city of Stuttgart, if it matters.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 04:37 AM

it is generally very very safe as it is heavily controlled by authorities. Many people just buy bottles because they prefer sparkly water. that said, if you live in a very old house you might want to think about lead pipes, but newer houses should be just fine. My husband works in that sector and also says it's fine.

hh2.gif

Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 AM

If you're worried, buy a Brita. But the water will definitely be safe. I live in France and we drink (filtered) tap water-- we visit Germany often and drink it there, too.

Nothing to worry about!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 PM

I always drink it here. Particularly since I despise carbonated water, which seems to be all the hype here for a reason that's beyond me (in the Netherlands, though, you've also got to watch out for carbonated Lipton ice teas).

If anyone could shed some light on WHY, I'd love to hear it, because it just baffles me and has ever since I got here.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM

I personally prefer (still) bottled water just because of the taste, but (over here in neighbouring Belgium anyway ) tap water is completely good and safe to drink! My mom used to edit the yearly reports from the Water Company and it had results of all the testing etc they do to make sure it's safe and she's always telling me I should just drink tap water (which I try to make myself do more often!! I just prefer the taste of Spa water and it's my one great "sin" cause I try to minimize my carbon foot print in all other ways... )
Like PP said, it's very heavily controlled etc.

Some reports actually suggest it's healthier than bottled water, even, and of course a lot friendlier to the environment than bottles... and waaaaay cheaper.

There can sometimes be a taste/smell of chlorine to it, especially in summer (I read this tip somewhere - actually i've never really noticed a chlorine taste myself), but if you just for example put water in a jug, and leave it for a few hours (in the fridge if you want), any trace of chlorine will evaporate and the water should be taste-less.

Marijke Rose, I don't know what to tell you I dont like carbonated drinks myself so yeah... I don't know what the carbonated Iced Tea is about, it's sold here too. Carbonated tea. weird.

Mommy to DD bouncy.gif born August 2008 

Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisha View Post
Marijke Rose, I don't know what to tell you I dont like carbonated drinks myself so yeah... I don't know what the carbonated Iced Tea is about, it's sold here too. Carbonated tea. weird.
Hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't really like carbonated drinks.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 AM

I drank the water. My sister lived in Baumholder for 3+ years and drank the tap water. When I stayed with her for a month, I drank the tap water!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM

Of course we drink the tap water. As a PP mentioned, it's one of the most controlled items in Germany. And I like sparkly water! I even have a little Soda Club thingy to make sparkly water out of my tap water.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 AM

Is Flouride added to the water in Germany, like it is in the U.S.?

Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM

Not that I'm aware of, no.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No I'm pretty sure they don't fluoridate here, and at least here in Köln it is not chlorinated. I drink the water. We have a Brita filter, which I use most of the time but to be honest I'm not even convinced I need to. My DH found somewhere online a report from the city about how much of certain metals and other substances are in the water here, but it was incomprehensible to me as the info I have about safe levels is in English and uses different Measurements.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 08-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Using the Brita filter mainly gets rid of the limescale, and boy, does Cologne have limescale in the water!

Mind you, limescale doesn't interfere with the taste and it's neutral health-wise, but if you like tea (like I do), it'll kinda float on top in splotches, which looks funny.

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

User Tag List