Where to buy an organic mattress in Frankfurt? Which one to buy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-16-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I will be moving to Frankfurt in the next few months and am looking to purchase a new organic mattress and convertible crib/toddler bed for my 15 month old.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to go? Any brands I should check out? Right now we have a Lifekind organic mattress which is amazing but we cant take it with us. I may consider an organic Latex mattress too. I really want the best and purest mattress I can find.

Thanks in advance for the advice...

Hana

#2 of 11 Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Do you read German?

Oekotest testing service tested 15 mattresses for harmful substances in 2009 and apparently 11 of them have tested "very good", four tested good.

check out this link (according to the website, all the mattresses listed tested "very good" or "good", though they don't tell you which ones only tested "good", all those with "nature" in the brand name should be organic and tested "very good" ).

http://www.biobay.de/test/kinder-matratzen-test

You can buy the original test results here for 1,20 €:

http://emedien.oekotest.de/cgi/index.cgi?artnr=94252;bernr=07

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#3 of 11 Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks so much but unfortunately I don't speak German--can someone help me translate?  Which ones are listed as Very Good?  If someone is willing could they purchase the original test results for me and tell me which ones scores the best?  I would be more than happy to Paypal the 1,20E fee plus a little extra for the time :)

I better start leaning my German :)

Thanks again,

Hana

#4 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 03:41 PM

I was going to buy the results for you and found out they amended the article I linked to and now it says all the mattresses that tested "very good" are bolded. I swear this wasn't the case when I first checked it out! smile.gif

So I guess we don't have to bother with paypalling money.

Edited to add bolding does not show here! But you can head over to http://www.biobay.de/test/kinder-matratzen-test and see for yourse  anad  

and see for yourself.

Organic producers appear to be Dormiente, Lonsberg and Prolana. Prolana and Lonsberg ones appear to be coconut fibre, the tested Dormiente one appears to be latex, but they do coconut too. The Prolana got excellent results from another testing service too (Stiftung Warentest, which tends to have broader criteria than oekotest, which focuses on the organic part, like durability, price etc).

I'd think you can order all of those via amazon. I'd check out Prolana products first, they tend to come out right on top when you google relevant search terms. Their website lists Frankfurt stores, too.

http://www.prolana.de/shop_content.php?coID=1600

•  

• Alvi Lena Latex-Matratze

• Aro Sanistar Kaltschaum-Matratze

• Ascade Dornröschen Kinderbett-Matratze

• Dormiente Natural-Kids Heidi Basic

• Dr. Lübbe Air Premium Kindermatratze

• f.a.n. Medisan Care Kindermatratze

• Klima LaPur Kindermatratze

• Lonsberg Naturbetten Kindermatratze Latex, mittelweich

• Malie Benjamin Kinderbett-Matratze

• Paradies Iris Baby- und Kindermatratze

• Prolana Naturbettwaren Ronja Plus Allergie Kindermatratze

• Sultan Sussa Kindermatratze

• Sun Garden Kinder-Rollmatratze

• Teddy Kindermatratze

• Träumeland Softwash Anti-Allergic

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#5 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you thank you Tigerle!  That is funny about the article being edited (I'm an editor myself--a beauty editor--its a little weird to go back and edit an article unless very necessary-so I guess that info was VERY crucial! :0 . But anyway I was already thinking of going with the Prolana--I found the most info in English about it on the web and it seems like a really good brand.  Do you have any suggestions on cribs?  Its been very hard to find info on cribs (they are called cot-beds, yes?) in Germany. I want to buy one that converts to a toddler bed (my daughter is 13mos)--solid wood (no MDF), made in Germany/Europe (not China), unfinished/nontoxic finish--any brand suggestions?

I live in NYC now, hoping my move to FF wont be too hard :)

Cheers,

Hana

#6 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We have an Ikea crib (Kinderbett) size 140x70 cm, which converts to a toddler bed. It's all wood, and we got it used on EBay for pretty cheap. It is finished, though, but if you're worried about off gassing, buying used should make that a little better. Anyway I don't know if Ikea makes unfinished wood beds or not. Sorry I can't think of anything better.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#7 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Okay, here is an abstract from Oekotest crib testing results:

Tested products:

• Alvi Kinderbett Carina, Kiefer Alvi
  • Herlag Kinderbett Tina, Pinie massiv Herlag
  • Jako- O Bett Lotos, umbaubar, Art. 698041
    Jako- O (Versand)
  • Kinderbett LF Mia, Gitter Buche, Oberfläche Ahorn
    Wellemöbel
  • Kinderbett LF Tweedy Holzart Ahorn/ weiß Wimex
  • Kinderbett Penny, Buche natur Zöllner
  • Kinderbett Träumerle, Fichte vollmassiv, lackiert
    Möbelum
  • Leksvik Kinderbett Ikea
  • Pinolino Kinderträume Ole Buche massiv, geölt
    Pinolino
  • Prolana Kinderbett Joshua, Buche geölt Prolana

Abstract on results:

Mia Superstar:

Perfect
IKEA Leksvik:

Somewhat impractical, otherwise fine

Tina: unsafe parts

Penny: unsafe parts
 Träumerle, Ole: holes to big
Tweedy: bad quality
 Carina: unsafe

Lotos: unsafe, harmful substances
 Joshua: unsafe

FWIW, our DS has all IKEA Leksvik furniture, we find it's pretty and practical in a somewhat oldfashioned style (and it's affordable!), though we did not happen to get the crib as we are using a friend's second hand crib, partly unassembled and customized to fit right next to our bed for DS who refuses to sleep alone anywayorngtongue.gif.

#8 of 11 Old 11-11-2011, 02:27 PM

Has anyone bought a matress from Dormiente store? I have been waiting for 7 weeks for delivery with really bad customer service! Beginning to think its some type of scam! I had to pay 50% upfront and the rest when its delivered...still I think its dodgy! Just wondering if any one has any feedback on this German store! I bought it from their representatives in Portugal.

Thanks for any help!

#9 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Hi, I think the best place to get your mattress would be from HealthyChild since they have the best prices as well as free shipping. I've provided you the link to the organic mattress page directly. I hope it's of some use!

-Tavish

#10 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im coming to Germany soon as well, currently in the US. I have been looking at this site for information on mattresses Urban mattress but I don't know if the mattress brands are the same in Germany or not? My apologies if I should have started my own thread and not hijacked this one :P. I'd like to already know a few things on baby mattresses before I arrive. Any advice on where to look at is very much appreciated.
#11 of 11 Old 08-13-2014, 05:25 AM

Miracleswin, if you let me know what your specific question is, I'll be happy to help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page