Anyone attending the Germany 2011 Midwifery Today conference? (x-posted in Birth Professionals) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm planning on attending the Germany 2011 Midwifery Today conference and am on the search for hotel roommates :) I will be flying (or driving if I can find a local driving buddy with a car) from northern Italy with my son, who will be 1yo a week after the conference.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#2 of 7 Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 AM

You can also look into a youth hostel as a very cheap alternative to a hotel. Don't know about co-sleeping in a twin sized bed though . . . Where is the conference taking place?

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#3 of 7 Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

oh, great tip, thank you! The conference is in Bad Wildbad.

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

#4 of 7 Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM

I was just thinking you might not find enough information just googling for youth hostels in Englisch - youth hostel is "Jugendherberg" in German. I googled for youth hostels around your location since there doesn't seem to be one in Bad Wildand directly and these are what google came up with:

http://maps.google.de/maps?nfpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=bad+wildbad%22+jugendherberge&fb=1&gl=de&hq=jugendherberge&hnear=Bad+Wildbad&ei=1o-sTZymH8iUswbWltWeCA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=5&ved=0CAQQtgMwBA

I imagine that you won't have problems phoning and getting someone to speak English for you - most younger Germans speak a fair amount of English. So good luck and I hope you get a baby friendly spot!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#5 of 7 Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I really appreciate that info :) How would you recommend I get from the airport to the hostel to the conference? I imagine public transport is excellent in Germany like it is in Italy. Also, which German airport is closest to Bad Wildbad? I'm also looking into the possibility of taking a train---would InterRail be the cheapest option for that?

#6 of 7 Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 AM

Public transportation really is good in Germany. Depending on which youth hostel you take, you could fly in to FKB - Karlsruhe/Baden Airport - or Stuttgart. But I think FKB is going to be closer. Then take the train to Baden Baden and change trains/bus there to get to your youth hostel. If your really lucky and get into the youth hostel in Baden you could reduce a lot of travel time. I would ask when booking your room how to get to Bad Wildbad. I hope it's a pretty fast and straightforward affair for you.

Good luck and have fun, mama!

ETA: And do keep in mind that you'll most likely be sharing your room with a few other people so don't pack any valuables you could otherwise live without should they go missing. I'd hate for you to show up and be at a total loss of what to do with your stuff. Maybe they've got lockers available in the rooms. That would be something to ask about, too.

#7 of 7 Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM

Hi! I used to live in Germany, and I lived in Italy for 3 months too! I would highly recommend taking the train over flying, so that you don't have to worry about limiting your carry-on and snack items, checking in early, going through security etc. The good thing about train stations are that they are usually in or very near town centers so it is much easier to get to where you want to go.

Also, you might consider taking a night train, so you an sleep through the journey and arrive in the morning.  If you are only doing a round trip from Italy to Germany then you can simply purchase a regular ticket, no need for an Inter-rail. You can usually get some really good advance purchase fares.

Have fun at the conference. I went to one in Paris a few years ago and had an amazing time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page