Looking for Childbirth Resources in Garmisch - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi my husband is German and I am American. We live in East Africa on assignment with the UN. We are expecting our first child, and planning to deliver it in Garmisch where we can stay in my husband's family's vacation home. We plan to be there for about 4 months in 2012. We will only arrive 6 weeks before the baby is due so I will need to have already chosen an OBGYN, midwife, etc before arriving. We are planning to visit around Christmas time to scope everything out.

Can anyone out there recommend resources for me in Garmisch? I do not speak German (even though my husband does I don't want to rely on him having to translate everything) so especially English-speaking resources would be appreciated!!!

OBGYNs, hospital or clinic recommendations

Midwives

Childbirthing classes

Mother clubs

Baby stuff shopping recommendations (online, in Munich, or in Garmisch)

Accupuncturist

Any other advice!!! We have no idea what we are doing but we are very excited!

Thank you!!!

#2 of 4 Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 AM

Hi there! When are you actually due??? That might make you think twice about some clinics/midwives depending on the weather and road conditions.

In Germany you don't have to go to an OBGYN if you don't want to or need to. You can get all your prenatal care from a midwife. Of course, if you want ultrasound then you need to go to a gynecologist for this. So find a midwife (Hebamme) because she's the one who will be accompanying you during your birth, not a doctor. Of course, if you just show up at the maternity ward of a clinic, you'll be cared for by their midwives, but its nice to have your own who knows you inside out (no pun intended, heh). But ask if she's allowed to do births in the clinic you've chosen. If you're considering a home birth, then you're sort of in luck. It's legal here in Germany, but the number of midwives who actually do homebirths is sinking due to insurance reasons. And most of your midwives also do accupuncture these days, but ask, of course.

So here's a list of midwives in your area, some of whom apparently also speak English:

http://www.familienbande24.de/nachwuchs/hebammen/ort/Garmisch

Here's another link with a whole bunch of resources. Apparently there's a Geburtshaus in Garmisch, too, where you can just go in, have your baby and head home. The midwives in all cases visit you for up to 8 weeks after birth to make sure you heal well, your baby is nursing well, etc.

http://mami.erdbeerlounge.de/Tipps-und-Empfehlungen/Garmisch-Partenkirchen_c11480

Run this list by your dh. He'll be able to help you more. But do make sure to go to a "Geburtsvorbereitungskurs" - birthing class, find where you want to do "Rückbildungsgymnastik" (postnatal exercise class) or ask your midwife for a recommendation

For mother clubs, well, you can look for Krabbelgruppe, but you might want to look for other Englisch speaking moms and just meet them, especially if you aren't going to be there long and dont know the language. Maybe someone else can help you out with that. Are you staying on a base? If so, you might want to check with the base if there are any such groups there.

Good luck, mama!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#3 of 4 Old 09-01-2011, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Terrilein. This is really helpful.

No, we are not on a base. We are not military or USG. My husband is German and I am American and we work for the UN in Africa. we will only arrive in Germany 6 weeks before the due date which is in April, so hopefully weather will not be an issue, but my husband and I both grew up in snowy resort towns so we should be okay. I think we will lease a car for the 4 months we are there, and our familly's condo is near the historical town center.

Do you know what hospitals or clinics there are in Garmisch? We would prefer full medical services- we are defintiely not having a home birth. We have had some issues already in the pregnancy so we would like to take all precautions possible. I looked up the hospital in Garmisch and it seems to specialize in joint replacements and there is no neonatal clinic. Are you familiar with the area? We would like to find a Dr and a midwife who will attend the birth in a hospital. Is that going to be possible?

I have sent the links to my DH- this is all very exciting! I appreciate your advice!!

#4 of 4 Old 09-01-2011, 02:31 AM

Sorry, I'm in Cologne and have no clue about Garmisch and the surrounding area, but I had some free time on my hands and decided to google a bit to help you out.

One of the clinics listed seems to be a private clinic doing whatever. The other hospital though does have a maternity, does accupuncture and homeopathy, has rooming-in and family rooms so that your partner can stay with you in the hospital. And there's an NICU right there, too.

http://www.klinikum-gap.de/klinikum/Gynaekologie-Geburtshilfe-Team.htm

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page