Moving to Mainz/Weisbaden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And hoping to find other crunchy families! We have 2 girls (6 & just turning 4) and a boy (will turn 2 the day after we arrive) and eat mostly paleo, have a lot of food intolerances (even within the paleo thing) and are homeschooling and generally ap. (and into homebirthing/unnassisted birth, non vax, etc...) I know most of that stuff is pretty unusual, but I am hoping there might be some kids around who might fit our kids ages and want to play. If we could get advice on finding health food shops or nice grocers, butchers, etc, pediatrician/family docs, even better! 

We should be arriving at the end of March and will be looking for housing for a bit, but if anyone is free to meet up we'd love to get in touch. (Should add, we are American, but are starting to learn German and I'm sure the kids don't need to all speak the same language to have a good time!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 PM

I will be moving to Wiesbaden in April!  I have one 3 year old girl, and am a doula and birth photographer, hoping to get in well with the homebirth midwifery community there, and just had my first freak-out today at Whole Foods thinking "Where am I gonna get my fish and coconut oil in Germany?!" 

#3 of 8 Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hey! Sorry I didn't respond more quickly, we have been moving.  ;-) We got here yesterday, so let us know when you get here and if you want to meet up or anything. I don't have much of a feel for the birthing community here so I'm no help there. I tend to just hermit it out and do my own thing re:birth stuff but if I hear of anyone interested I'll try to hook you guys up. 

I APO'd coconut oil from amazon a while ago but we got to the post office too late yesterday to see if it made it. Will let you know how that goes as well. I was told that if the american (or other) company is willing to ship it APO it will most likely make it to you here without a problem. I have set our default amazon prime address to our APO/CMR box and now when browsing there are warnings on the product pages of certain items (strollers, heavy/bulky things, meat, etc) that say "this item is not able to be shipped to your default address" or some such thing. I think I saw carlesons lemon fish oil on the amazon.de site for the same or slightly cheaper than it is available in the US so I had stopped worrying about that as well. Plus I hope to check out some "reformhaus" groceries in the next few days to see what I can just get in person. 

#4 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Hey!

We are from around Frankfurt am Main and just moved here from California in December.

We only have one baby atm though, so probably not the right play mate.

I just noticed you eat paleo and don't vaccinate, we do the same among many other things.

bedheadmaestro

There is a few (mostly) natural food stores here in Germany. Tegut has some things, and I hear Kleinmarkthalle in Frankfurt is very good, we are planning to check it out.

We also buy online from Austrian sellers (raw butter)

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Cool! Nice to (internet) meet you.  ;-) 

Forgot to post back that in fact the amazon apo shipment of coconut oil came through! So that is one less worry. I haven't doen it yet but am planning on ordering carleson's fishoil from amazon.de since I can't find it anywhere in person. I have been going to Denn's, Alnatura and occasionally Tegut for snack type things. Denn's here in Mainz is bigger and has a nice selection of nut butters, dried fruit, nuts/seeds, apples (etc) and coldcuts that have been pretty helpful to have in the hotel room. 

#6 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Hey! :)

We tend to order a lot from Amazon UK, since it seems they have a better availability.

Nut butters would be something I would want to try. I have trouble keeping my weight up on the paleo diet, so I have been supplementing with raw dairy and cold pressed olive oil. 

Prio to that I tried eating a lot of nuts (raw macadamia) but it did not do the trick for me.

I never heard of Denn's, is it a chain?

Tegut is only good if you really pay attention to what you are getting imo. The workers there always seem very surprised that I care about how an animal was fed before I would eat it. The crowd tends to assume anything labeled "Bio" is good ;)

Whole Foods certainly had better stuff.

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#7 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if Denn's is a chain or just one store, but the one here in Mainz is relatively large. I also don't know about the humane status of the meats I've been getting, I am incapable of discussing the issue with employees so I'm pretty happy to even find stuff that I don't need to cook and doesn't have ingredients like milk powder, etc... We have resorted to some rice and other things in addition to the usual meats and veggies because it is not feasible to subsist so heavily on cured meats. Plus eating at restaurants has meant quite a bit of potato for the family members who can tolerate them. We can't wait to have a kitchen b/c all the different stuff is wrecking havoc with the kids digestion but I have been relieved that there are several things we have found that seem to work ok in a pinch.

I hope at some point to find a source for buying meats from a local farm but I am not stressing about it and will happily take whatever protein we can get at markets in addition to mostly bio fruit/veg. I thought Germany did not allow the use of the worst pesticides so even non-bio fruit was not too bad, is that not the case? I do have a farm we were told about that sells bio raw milk and fresh eggs but we can't do the milk most of the time. (we occasionally try it to see if the bad symptoms don't re-appear but so far no luck) 

I'm sorry you have trouble keeping your weight up, that is the opposite of my own problem. ;-) You might try added good fats with a starch like sweet potato (sadly I and my son do much worse with those than even white potato) or coconut milk with fruit for a carb/fat blend that is both (extremely) palatable as well as insulin raising. My kids adore strawberry coconut milk icecream with no added sweetener other than the strawberries. 

#8 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Well, I'm German...so I can usually ask about anything. Just sometimes it is hard translating things like "grassfed meat", and they look at me a little funny.

A lot of animals are fed "silage"(ger.), grains and just little grass and hay.

I also eat some potato or rice, because I very slowly transitioned from a SAD diet into the paleo diet, and I would have episodes of dizziness, probably due to the lack of carbs.

Sorry it is messing with your lo's tummies. If you have any questions regarding german stuff...foods, brands...whatever helps you find more suitable foods, feel free to message me.

We have some organic farms around here, that also sell good meat. We like Dottenfelder Hof in Bad Vilbel. And Margaretenhof in Karben. By car it is not far, but you might have farms closer to you.

Pesticides - in German markets fruits and veggies from around the world are sold, and many do have a bunch of pesticides and other toxins. Mostly you are still advised to buy Bio only if you want to be sure: http://www.greenpeace.de/themen/chemie/nachrichten/artikel/pestizide_in_obst_und_gemuese_auf_die_herkunft_kommt_es_an/

Quote:
„Nur etwas mehr als die Hälfte aller Obst- und Gemüseproben in Deutschland sind frei von Pestizid-Rückständen“, sagt Manfred Krautter, zuständiger Experte bei „Greenpeace Deutschland“. 

|Only about half of fruit and vegetable samples taken in Germany were free of pesticide traces, says Manfred K, Expert in charge for Greenpeace Germany...|

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellschaft/gesundheit/pestizide-im-obst-die-taegliche-ration-gift-1515193.html

Quote:
I'm sorry you have trouble keeping your weight up, that is the opposite of my own problem. ;-) You might try added good fats with a starch like sweet potato (sadly I and my son do much worse with those than even white potato) or coconut milk with fruit for a carb/fat blend that is both (extremely) palatable as well as insulin raising. My kids adore strawberry coconut milk icecream with no added sweetener other than the strawberries. 

Thats sounds delish, will try it for sure. I have tried other sources of fat, but so far none worked as well as butter when it comes to keeping my weight up. However from what I read on the raw paleo forums, raw butter is not all too bad, because it does only contain the fat from dairy, plus it is raw. Once I have stabilized, I will try to cut out the butter. 

Sorry for the late reply btw., I did not receive an email notification.

fly-by-nursing1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page