Recipe for baby's first birthday, European ingredients - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for ideas on baby's first birthday cake...with ingredients I can find in an Austrian store. My MIL is coming over from the US next week and could bring some dry ingredients if needed. I do have a stash of real vanilla liquid on hand...

eat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Just thought I'd bump your post up for attention. Hopefully someone will respond with some helpful info. :)

Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the bump- ended up making a pumpkin apple spice cake sans the nuts but with whipped cream. A big hit- we now have a new word...mnummy mnummy mnummy!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

On a related note: I have made my own vanilla extract many times. Just look online for recipes but all you do is get about 4-6 vanilla bean pods, chop them up and scoop out the goop from the middle, put it all in a few cups vodka and soak them for 8 weeks. I haven't done it lately because it is time-consuming to wait and then have to time it to make more that you always have some (I was putting a spoonful in my coffee, which is delicious BTW, so going through it kinda quick). Even if you buy the cheapest alcohol you can find, the vanilla is expensive and in the end I realized why vanilla extract is so expensive!!! But in a any case it's pretty easy to do, so if you're jonesing for pure vanilla extract just make your own! thumb.gif

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

User Tag List