homebirth midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to have a homebirth in February and my German doctor said he would ask around and try to find me someone. I'm 20 weeks along now and that hasn't happened so I'm hoping to find one on my own. Does anyone know how to find a midwife who will do homebirths in the Bitburg/Trier area? I speak very little German, but my husband is almost fluent.

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 AM

go to hebammensuche.de, type in the first two or three letters of your zip code and you'll be given a list of certified midwifes in the area with a discription of the services they provide and sometimes the languages they speak.

i searched for the bitburg and trier zipcodes, couldn't find a homebirth midwife in bitburg (but one who offers birthcenter births and several who'll be your on call midwife and accompany you to the hospital to help you have your baby there) in trier i found two! look for Anja Lehnertz and C. Nummer (neither say they speak english but they may anyway).

just to give you a heads up, it's generally advised you find a homebirth midwife asap once you find out you're expecting, but you may be lucky and one of them doesn't have any births for february yet.

even if you don't end up doing the homebirth, german health insurance (if that's what you have) will fully cover for you to have midwife care during pregnancy, childbirth and however long you end up nursing for. it's really nice to have a midwife take care of you at home towards the end of pregnancy and post partum rather than to have to drag your butt and your baby to doctor's offices for check ups. :

btw, i'm due in february too! so hi, due date partner! lemme know if i can do anything else to help you.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enielangstrumpf View Post
go to hebammensuche.de, type in the first two or three letters of your zip code and you'll be given a list of certified midwifes in the area with a discription of the services they provide and sometimes the languages they speak.

i searched for the bitburg and trier zipcodes, couldn't find a homebirth midwife in bitburg (but one who offers birthcenter births and several who'll be your on call midwife and accompany you to the hospital to help you have your baby there) in trier i found two! look for Anja Lehnertz and C. Nummer (neither say they speak english but they may anyway).

just to give you a heads up, it's generally advised you find a homebirth midwife asap once you find out you're expecting, but you may be lucky and one of them doesn't have any births for february yet.

even if you don't end up doing the homebirth, german health insurance (if that's what you have) will fully cover for you to have midwife care during pregnancy, childbirth and however long you end up nursing for. it's really nice to have a midwife take care of you at home towards the end of pregnancy and post partum rather than to have to drag your butt and your baby to doctor's offices for check ups. :

btw, i'm due in february too! so hi, due date partner! lemme know if i can do anything else to help you.
Thanks, I'll take a look. I have American insurance, Tricare through the military. They said they cover home births except for the midwife's transportation costs.

military wife to Eric, mommy to Ani 11/06 and Emi 2/09 and our angels angel1.gif 12/10, and angel1.gif 2/12 and our newest addition Izzy 4/13

Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I tried C. Nummer and she doesn't speak English. Anja Lehnertz didn't answer her phone so maybe I'll try again later or have my husband call. Thanks

Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 AM

Well, hope it works out! :
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

found one! I emailed one of the English speaking midwives here in Bitburg and she gave me a couple names. If anyone else needs to know Elisabeth Schmidt-Bäumler speaks perfect English and lives in Trier.

User Tag List