homebirth...so how does this work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2008, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so I am up here in Schleswig-Holstein pregnant and due in late May. I have some stressful domestic issues going on (kid's school, work, getting a DL/car?, shipping belongings (incl. maternity clothes!) from the US, my mother just out of hospital for life-threatening condition) so I have been distracted. I haven't even told my family yet. Just some internet friends and of course my husband.

The midwife I was sort of planning to use is out of touch training in New Zealand this fall. I found another willing to support me in a homebirth VBAC, but I talked to her on a cell phone and the connection was not very good. IN any case she is coming to my house in 1.5 weeks for my first appointment.

I didn't get a chance to ask her, but does insurance usually pay for a homebirth here? I have Tecknikerkrankenkasse (sic), and I believe she said she takes it, but how much does insurance usually pay towards a birth? What usually happens for a homebirth in Germany?

Thanks,
Walosi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 04:16 AM

Can you get something in writing from your insurance company or do you have a benefits summary?

If you need any advice about the DL conversion, I went through it. (Or do I remember correctly and your hubby's work is helping you?)

Hang in there.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 AM

the krankenkasse normally pays for all of your prenatal, birth and postpartum care in full. some midwifes charge an "on call" fee of 150-200€ for a HB.

my midwife has a sheet in which she charts every prenatal visit and the duration of it which i sign every time she sees me. that's what she uses to get paid by the health insurance.

if you have any more questions, i'll be glad to do some research and help you answer them.

and i'm sorry you're going through so much right now.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 AM

it really should be covered by your insurance, however it won't hurt to just call/email them and ask. there might be extra costs like the rufbereitsschaftspauschale that enie mentioned, but your midwife will let you know how much that is well in advance. A homebirth is much cheaper for your krankenkasse as enie stated, it will also pay for all your prenatal care, for a midwife to visit you after the birth and the birth itself.

eta: do you get the magazine by the TK in the mail? In issue 1/2008 they state that they pay for homebirths. it's in German but the pdf version of that magazine issue is here. it's in the last few pages somewhere.

hh2.gif

Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Tecknikerkrankenkasse is one of the better state run health care plans (in my humble opinion), and they DO pay for homebirths. They also pay for any pre-natal prep classes you may want to take, postpartum care, fees for a lactation consultant up to 6 months post partum, and post partum exercise classes. If you have health issues with yourself or your child there are also some other things covered as well.

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

Old 10-01-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollycrand View Post
. They also pay for any pre-natal prep classes you may want to take, postpartum care, fees for a lactation consultant up to 6 months post partum, and post partum exercise classes. If you have health issues with yourself or your child there are also some other things covered as well.
this should be the case with any state run insurance, too.

hh2.gif

Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info :-). I'll post more as things progress.

Walosi
Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
this should be the case with any state run insurance, too.
Yes, but AOK is a lot more reluctant to cover things - they demand more 'justifications' from the doctor

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

User Tag List