Cambridge Questions! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 06-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just to add my two cents... (or maybe I should say two pence..)

Ely is nice and certainly a lot cheaper than Cambridge. It is considered a town, not a village, and it does have a lot of ammenities, as well as a lovely cathedral and nice tea shops! It would probably take about 30 minutes to drive from Ely to Bar Hill, but be aware that there is a lot of traffic on that Ely to Bar Hill road.

Camborne is not for everyone. It is a very big, very new development. It is considered a village, but it is very big. It depends on whether you like that kind of environment or not.

South of Cambridge is more expensive, as it is closer to London, and therefore appeals to the London commuters as well as Cambridge people. But it is very nice. I live south west of Cambridge in a village, and it is very suitable for families. Some villages are on train lines, so that is worth investigating.

For family life, I would recommend villages or Ely, as Cambridge is so expensive and more for the student/young couple/couple with no kids types. You can always go into town at the weekend and enjoy the environment, then go home again. That's what we do!

Have you looked at the website 'Rightmove'? Almost all houses for sale or rent in the UK are on there, and you can put in any area and details of what kind of place you are looking for. It helps if you are not here when you are looking for a place.

Good luck in your decisions to move and your house hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 06-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Oooh I like Ely a lot, I would consider living there if I had to choose again. I was going to suggest Newmarket, my town, but then I looked where Bar Hill is, and thought Newmarket might be a bit far of a commute. Although getting on the A14 is really easy.

I really like this whole area, although I'm usually a bit more north, I don't go south of Cambridge often, unless it's to London.

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine! I'm hoping this is the BBQ summer we were supposed to get last year!
#33 of 58 Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Mom View Post
Just to add my two cents... (or maybe I should say two pence..)

Ely is nice and certainly a lot cheaper than Cambridge. It is considered a town, not a village, and it does have a lot of ammenities, as well as a lovely cathedral and nice tea shops! It would probably take about 30 minutes to drive from Ely to Bar Hill, but be aware that there is a lot of traffic on that Ely to Bar Hill road.

Camborne is not for everyone. It is a very big, very new development. It is considered a village, but it is very big. It depends on whether you like that kind of environment or not.

South of Cambridge is more expensive, as it is closer to London, and therefore appeals to the London commuters as well as Cambridge people. But it is very nice. I live south west of Cambridge in a village, and it is very suitable for families. Some villages are on train lines, so that is worth investigating.

For family life, I would recommend villages or Ely, as Cambridge is so expensive and more for the student/young couple/couple with no kids types. You can always go into town at the weekend and enjoy the environment, then go home again. That's what we do!

Have you looked at the website 'Rightmove'? Almost all houses for sale or rent in the UK are on there, and you can put in any area and details of what kind of place you are looking for. It helps if you are not here when you are looking for a place.

Good luck in your decisions to move and your house hunting!
Could you expand on Cambourne, what kind of environment, what kind of people seek out the place, etc.
#34 of 58 Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Also, does anyone know anything about the Steiner School in Cambridge, or is it in Fulbourn? What is the word on the street
#35 of 58 Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM

From the pictures I have seen of Cambourne, it loks like a place where you need a car to get to the chain/box stores, which are the only local shopping options..
We are currently living in a place similar to Cambourne. There is no sense of community. It's made for people with cars. THere is no central gathering place/square where people can sit down and relax . There are a couple of playgrounds but I rarely see other parents there, just bored kids hanging out .
On weekend nights the teenagers hang around in front of the takeaways because there is no place for them to go.

I am really hoping to find a home/community in a village that offers locally owned and run businesses and has some character and soul, and cultural and social activities.
#36 of 58 Old 06-23-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Leopard View Post

I am really hoping to find a home/community in a village that offers locally owned and run businesses and has some character and soul, and cultural and social activities.
Same here. What are some names of the villages you are considering?
#37 of 58 Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM

We have been concentrating on the south villages such as Great Shelford, Great Chesterford and Saffron Walden. I have heard good things about Royston too.
However, when DH realized how much cheaper rents were to the North of Cambridge he said he wouldn't mind a longer commute if we could get more house for our money, so I am looking at Ely as well.
#38 of 58 Old 06-30-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We have been concentrating on the south villages such as Great Shelford, Great Chesterford and Saffron Walden. I have heard good things about Royston too.
However, when DH realized how much cheaper rents were to the North of Cambridge he said he wouldn't mind a longer commute if we could get more house for our money, so I am looking at Ely as well.
How cool!! I really got a good vibe just driving around Ely, not sure what it was but it had a good feel
And Ely has the train line to Cambridge and London.
#39 of 58 Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Have you had any luck househunting? I haven't seen much so far that is the right price/size/area...
#40 of 58 Old 07-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxinator View Post
Oooh I like Ely a lot, I would consider living there if I had to choose again. I was going to suggest Newmarket, my town, but then I looked where Bar Hill is, and thought Newmarket might be a bit far of a commute. Although getting on the A14 is really easy.

I really like this whole area, although I'm usually a bit more north, I don't go south of Cambridge often, unless it's to London.

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine! I'm hoping this is the BBQ summer we were supposed to get last year!
Could you tell me a bit about Newmarket? Is it a good family town? What is there to do there? Any areas that should be avoided?

Also, do you know anything about Littleport?
#41 of 58 Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Could you tell me a bit about Newmarket? Is it a good family town? What is there to do there? Any areas that should be avoided?

The only feedback I have one Newmarket is that it is dominated by horseracing.

My husband went to see a couple of houses in Ely today, right on Stour Green which is a big park. He said it was nice lots of kids outside, people playing in the park. It had a very nice family feel. I am checking www.rightmove.com everyday
#42 of 58 Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've heard there is a good home-ed group in Cambridge.
Do you remember the names of any. I know there is one that had a website but I cant remember the name, and all my googling is not finding it.
#43 of 58 Old 07-06-2010, 03:22 PM

Yeah - I am obsessed with rightmove! I came across three houses that looked really good, but were taken by the time I called. Sigh. Now DH is saying he doesn't want to live in Ely, but it looks really nice to me.

I have not been able to find the yahoo home ed group but a friend just joined and will send me the link. I will pass it on to you.
I think the main group is Cambridge Home Educating Families (CHEF).
#44 of 58 Old 07-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Hello you two!

Just enjoying reading your exchange. We're dreaming about Scotland, but reading this, maybe we'll consider England too. I like the homeschooling community part.
I'm excited to see where you both end up! I like the sound of Ely.

Josefina.
#45 of 58 Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:

I love Newmarket. There are a ton of horses walking around, but my little ones loves watching as they cross the street. It's not ever really impacted our daily lives at all though. There's an average high street, and market days on Tues and Sat. A bunch of Americans out here, I don't know if Ely might have more though. There's a nice playground which they just redid this past spring. It's an easy, pretty drive to Cambridge. At night High St is popular. There's a lot of bars and clubs and it gets pretty rowdy.
Ely seems a bit more calm, but then again, I've never been there at night. Honestly, if Ely wasn't so out of the way for us I might want to live there instead.

Soham looks like a nice town too. Littleport might be a bit far for you though, what looks close by on a map actually takes forever. Especially if you'll have a left side car and can't see around the giant tractor going 25 MPH.

Have you thought about any of the bazillion little villages in the area? There certainly are a lot, and they seem so nice and quiet.
#46 of 58 Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmamma View Post
Hello you two!

Just enjoying reading your exchange. We're dreaming about Scotland, but reading this, maybe we'll consider England too. I like the homeschooling community part.
I'm excited to see where you both end up! I like the sound of Ely.

Josefina.
Scotland looks prettier. This area is flat as a pancake.
#47 of 58 Old 07-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info Jaxinator. I know DH doesn't want a long commute, but the area where his work is very expensive. We will be in Cambridge on Friday, and have arranged viewings of a couple of places. SO, another question about Newmarket - specifically Exning Road. Good? Bad?
#48 of 58 Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 PM

It's a busy, main road, but it has it's plus sides. It's easy to get to High Street, and to the market. There are some really pretty houses on Exning, but there are also smaller row houses. It's not a good street or a bad street. There's a primary school at one end, so it's very crowded in the AM and afternoon. We actually wanted to see a house on Exning, but the letting agent never called us back
Are you looking to rent or purchase?
#49 of 58 Old 07-07-2010, 03:14 PM

We will rent. We are actually supposed to look at a house there on Friday. It looks nice, but it is still quite pricey. I guess we'll have a look just to get an idea.
#50 of 58 Old 07-07-2010, 05:06 PM

You know, tomorrow the Newmarket newspaper comes out (it's a weekly thing), and there are a lot of "to let" ads in it. Check to see if they delivered it to the house you're going to look at, or ask whoever shows you the house if they have a copy. I love just looking at it to see what I'm missing out on.

You know... you could get really lucky and find a house with 110V and 220V outlets. That would be my dream
#51 of 58 Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 AM

jaxinator--i sure like hilly, but flat can be pretty too i suppose, as long as it doesn't look like north dakota or texas panhandle. is the landscape bare?

are any of these towns and villages self-supporting (not necessarily for jobs, but conveniences)? or just bedroom communities (dead during the day)?
#52 of 58 Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Kmamma- It's not bare, no. I grew up in low mountains and after living here for awhile I tend to get excited for hills. But it really is pretty here, the flowers are amazing, it's usually very green (although it's a bit dry right now), and there are lots of trees. But I think there are much prettier areas of GB. The Cotswolds are beautiful.

I don't think anyone works in my town, High St is always so crowded! In fact, many of the towns seem to be like that, people around all the time. It's rather nice. We have pretty much everything here except for an A&E. Two grocery stores, 3 gas stations, clothing stores of all price ranges, drug stores...
Even the smaller villages seem to at least have a pub or two that people go to eat and socialize at.
#53 of 58 Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Well, both the houses we had planned to see tomorrow have been let - so back to the drawing board.
#54 of 58 Old 07-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Oh, I'm sorry to here that. It's very frustrating when that happens. I actually looked at our rental agencies website to see what they had, but everything they have is even further than Newmarket, in the wrong direction. Don't worry though, there are so many houses for let around here, there's such a huge market for it.
Look into Burwell too, it's a nice village about 10 minutes from Newmarket, towards Cambridge.
If you have any questions about the area please don't hesitate to ask me, I'll try to help if I can.
Info for next year: If you celebrate 4th of July (I don't know if you're American or not), every year one of the RAF bases around here has a carnival and fireworks display, and it's open to the public.
#55 of 58 Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxinator View Post
Oh, I'm sorry to here that. It's very frustrating when that happens. I actually looked at our rental agencies website to see what they had, but everything they have is even further than Newmarket, in the wrong direction. Don't worry though, there are so many houses for let around here, there's such a huge market for it.
Look into Burwell too, it's a nice village about 10 minutes from Newmarket, towards Cambridge.
If you have any questions about the area please don't hesitate to ask me, I'll try to help if I can.
Info for next year: If you celebrate 4th of July (I don't know if you're American or not), every year one of the RAF bases around here has a carnival and fireworks display, and it's open to the public.
Sounds like my French DH's worst nightmare! I'm American, though, and that sounds like fun.
I did see a couple of nice houses to rent in Burwell, but for the moment we do not have a car so we really need to be near a train station. Or at least somewhere where there are good bus lines.
The house search is frustrating, but I knew the houses we were planning to visit weren't going to be ""the ones". I just have to be patient and wait for the right place to come up.
#56 of 58 Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 AM

The buses are really good out here actually. I would be surprised if it didn't go right through Burwell. I've seen buses stop in the most random spots.
Best of luck!
#57 of 58 Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well, we ended up back in Mallorca and plan on staying here atleast a year. Cambridge might still be in the future, but not now...things change fast with dh's job But thank you mamas for the help
#58 of 58 Old 08-28-2010, 04:37 PM

Oh no! That's too bad for us but good for you, I'm sure. Enjoy your time in Spain.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page