Where would you move in the UK? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now we are in Northern Europe but will likely need to move to the UK next fall. Where would you recommend?

These are the things we appreciate:

- not a big city (or at least a chance to escape the city close by)
- beautiful place (more old-fashioned than modern)
- possibly rural areas somewhat close
- possibility to buy raw milk, organic, etc. a big +
- lots of homeschoolers (but I suppose this is somewhat true anywhere)
-friendly people

Basically, we are looking for a beautiful, friendly, small village, where we could rent a simple, little cabin. However, the reality is that we need to be close to a place with a university.

TIA!

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#2 of 26 Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM

I would say the South West is good. We have just spent two years in Cornwall, which is beautiful. It is expensive and can feel remote, but spectacular countryside and beaches. The homeschooling is fine as long as you drive, there are groups all over, but it's easier by car. I did sometimes feel a bit like an outsider in Cornwall,(I'm English, dh is Canadian.) but chose to ignore all that rubbish, great place.

Bristol/Bath/Avon area has always appealed to us as well, great homeschooling network, lots of lovely little villages where you could rent a cottage, very pretty. Bristol is a huge city so you could live just outside of there or Bath..

We are now in Norfolk, again a lovely area, so you could look at East Anglia as well, which is cheaper to live in.

HTH

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#3 of 26 Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM

I live in South Bucks, not far from Windsor.

We are not far from Heathrow, 20 mins by train from West London, close to 2 major motorways so good links to rest of the country.

BUT we are also quite rural and have some LOVELY countryside within walking distance. Best of both worlds I always think - I grew up here and haven't managed to leave. When we do I suspect it will either be west towards Bristol (but not that far) or up to the North west where dh comes from - now there is some spectacular scenery.

Downside of where we live is price...

Claire - wife of 1, mum of 2! Jess 10-01-96, Millie 08-11-06
#4 of 26 Old 11-07-2009, 03:29 AM

My first reaction was definitely South West as well.
Bath area (but not cheap housing). Or Exeter/ Exmouth/ Totnes - county of Devon.
#5 of 26 Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!

Right now dh is looking at Wales (three places) and somewhere in England.

I was just reading about Aberystwyth and their farmers' market. That would be so lovely! We don't have anything like that here. Can't wait to escape our suburban life. Right now we spend about 3 days out of each week at my famiy's summer place and would stay there, if we did not have commitments here.

#6 of 26 Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Somerset. Commuting distance from four universities, some coastline, rural community, good local authority and you have Bath and Bristol for when you fancy the bright lights of the city, which are both excellent crunchy cities.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 07:23 AM

north west!
#8 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM

Yes, the NOrth West is lovely - close to Manchester, ********* and Leeds but also the Peak District and North Wales. Very friendly people !

~ Mum to ds1 , dd : and ds2
#9 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM

North East of Scotland.
Friendly.
Countryside. Some of it pretty wild.
Old fashioned.
Small big city near by, with two universities.
Not crowded, prices relatively low.
#10 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM

How about the outskirts of Edinburgh, Scotland? The city is small compared to a lot of cities, and the centre is very old with loads of historic buildings. There are a few universities, lots of lovely countryside and homeschooling groups too. Oh, and there's a really good farmer's market, various organic veg box schemes, and there's at least one farmer's market that supplies raw milk.
There are a lot of smaller towns and villages only half an hour from the city centre, and the buses are great.
#11 of 26 Old 11-10-2009, 11:58 PM

Aberystwyth is nice when the sun shines but on a rainy day it is pretty grim. I'm not sure which smilie to put here so this one will have to do.

I'm not sure how Welsh folk take to Americans either. We know English folk who have moved to Wales and found that it has taken them years to be accepted as normal and trustworthy.

Between Bath and Bristol or south towards Somerset as Flapjack suggested would be good, or in Oxfordshire but it is a bit more pricey here in terms of buying or renting.

Chard has its own home ed place which is unusual.
#12 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 AM

To put it in perspective, Oxfordshire and Berkshire are the next counties east from us, and we can't afford to move there. There's roughly a £100k difference on the cost of a small 4 bed house between us and them, and the further east you go, the more expensive.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#13 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

That home ed place in Chard seems just amazing. Wish there were more such! We are homeschooling an only child, so we need to be able to make some connections.

#14 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 AM

If you talk to Education Otherwise, there's a number of ways that children are being educated outside of mainstream schools, and all over the country.

#15 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Finding home educators is not a problem!

You may not have a family next door but you are certain to hit at least one, if not 20, within a half hour drive of wherever you are.

The EO Site is a good place to start looking and there are links on a page there for local yahoo groups.
#16 of 26 Old 11-11-2009, 03:52 PM

South Wales!!

You have the Gower, Brecon Beacons and the beach all around Swansea. It's small enough to know everyone but big enough to have everything you need. We have a thriving Home Ed community. It's cheaper then the rest of the Uk and the people are incredibly friendly!!

Here is the link to the Home Ed Group
http://www.wiseuphe.netfirms.com/
#17 of 26 Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 PM

Cumbria

Loads of happy unschoolers
Organic food
Crunchy folks
Lovely scenery

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::
#18 of 26 Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 PM

If you're considering the north at all, Hebden Bridge is a really funky little town about an hour (by train) from Manchester. Winters can be fairly grim, but there are soooo many cool things going on. DH's aunts live there and it is one of my favourite places to spend time.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#19 of 26 Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 AM

I would say any of the small villages around Bristol.
You'll want to be in the Gloucestershire area.
You'll want to look in the south west of england anyhow I think. Make sure you don't move to a place that is easily flooded though!
Its a bit more pricey living this way I think - But a lot of it is rural and about 30 mins away from a town/city in any direction really. A lot of home educators out this way (why would anyone want to be stuck in a stuffy school in this beautiful part of the country!? lol) ...raw milk...you will struggle finding that anywhere but I know there is a shop in Glouceter that sell it. You wouldn't want to live in Gloucester (city!) - but from any small village around it, its about a 30 min drive to get there so not too bad.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#20 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anumaria View Post
Right now we are in Northern Europe but will likely need to move to the UK next fall. Where would you recommend?

-friendly people

Basically, we are looking for a beautiful, friendly, small village, where we could rent a simple, little cabin. However, the reality is that we need to be close to a place with a university.

TIA!
*subbing*
#21 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpurnia View Post
north west!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajax View Post
Yes, the NOrth West is lovely - close to Manchester, ********* and Leeds but also the Peak District and North Wales. Very friendly people !
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
If you're considering the north at all, Hebden Bridge is a really funky little town about an hour (by train) from Manchester. Winters can be fairly grim, but there are soooo many cool things going on. DH's aunts live there and it is one of my favourite places to spend time.

i live in the north west

i'm in **********, we have citys less than an hour away by public transport but there are fields and trees and lots of green where i live, there is a farm at the top of my street and people ride horses past my hourse every day, we have beautiful parks with ducks and geese and frogs and squirrles which the kids love

there are a few uni's in this are (*******, **********,central **********) and theres a college round the corner that does university courses

i dont think i could live any where else

i hope you can see this http://www.pals.org.uk/pan_acc.htm it was taken from the highest point in accrington (where i live) and shows a few towns, not just mine

my boobs are eeeevil.................eeevil i tells ya....
#22 of 26 Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Agree South Wales is good

In Cardiff we have farmers markets on both Saturday and Sunday, you are very close to loads of countryside, beaches, etc. There is a HE scene, both in Cardiff and within driving/train distance. WiseUp, as mentioned above, is do-able by train from Cardiff.

We have several universities, and it is possible to get around by public transport and bikes.

The cost of living is lower than in the South West of England.

Wales also has an identity separate to England, and a rich history of its own. And about a million castles.

I am not Welsh, though I live here, and I think it can possibly take a while to settle in, compared to other cities I've lived in-I think it just has a more settled population, and incomers usually have a family connection, meaning that those of us who don't sometimes have to work a bit harder. But tbh I've found that true in most areas of Britain outside London and Edinburgh-I don't think Wales is any worse, personally. I think also, if you move to Wales, it is really important to at least show an appreciation of the local culture, language, etc-you don't need to learn Welsh, but the Welsh do appreciate people recognising that they are not actually English.

All that said, I think Edinburgh, Gloucester and Oxford would all be great choices too.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#23 of 26 Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 AM

I'm hoping to move to scarborough sometime this year it's a nice seaside town in yorkshire surrounded by country side and i'll be home schooling my lo's when we move which will hopefully be very soon and i can't wait

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#24 of 26 Old 09-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
CARDIFF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anumaria View Post

OK Cardiff's quite a big city but it's not huge, and there are loads of smaller villages near by. Anyway it doesn't feel big everyone seems to know each other
very beautiful. lots of old buildings thought I have to say many of our new buildings are very beautiful too. cardiff also has loads of parks and I beleive the most green spaces in any city in Eurpoe. And loads of castles round here.
Brecon beacons one of the most beautfiul places on earth is about 40 mins drive. Also mumbles and west Wales/pembrokshire are faily close and very beautiful. We have mountains and sea so close by.
The sunday market sells goats milk and organic everything. There are three wholefood shops and loads of health food shops that seel organic.
sorry no idea
-friendly people
yup! well thats my experince but I suppose other people could find it differnt. I certily know loads of people that have made frineds just by chatting at gigs etc.
OK I may be a little biased!

Missing my dh everyday candle.gif and hoping there is a brighter future for me out there

#25 of 26 Old 11-11-2010, 12:54 PM

I live in a small village in Derbyshire. I think we are rural, there are horses and cows at the end of my garden. 

There are loads of home educators here and i can travel easily to Nottinghamshire / Yorkshire / Leicestershire and well into the Peak district (although you will need a car)

We can get local organic veg and milk.

It is very friendly here - people accept you very quickly (we moved from the SE)

It is very cheap to rent/buy

It is not an affluent area, lots of normal people without loads of money to throw around but i love it.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#26 of 26 Old 12-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Right now, I want to go over where I was brought up - OXFORDSHIRE :D

Natural & Proud hbac.gif and Breast Feeder.heartbeat.gif I Believe in Awareness! ribboncesarean.gif..ribbonpb.gif..redbluerib.gif

Birthing against medical advice was necessary!
love.gifheartbeat.gif~~ Doula In Training ~~heartbeat.giflove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page