Mothering Forum banner

Living in the UK and getting your child diagnosed with an ASD..

678 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BusyMumof5 
#1 ·
My eldest has history, plenty of it and we have good, serious reason to believe he is somewhere on the ASD.

My guess, is ADHD, but I am no medical professional, I am going on what I have read and more importantly, experienced with being his parent!

He has seen many : Gp's, health visitors, Paediatricians and now even an Educational pychologist!

CAN you go private for a diagnosis?

How much does it cost?

He is now 6 years old and at the last appointment with the paediatrcian she said ''it's clear he has some developemental issues'' but no one, anywhere is even slightly interested in diagnosing him!

He has already been kept back a year at school and I am scared it will happen this year too, without a clear diagnosis and more help that's needed being offered..

#2 ·
I think the UK is a bit behind in terms of diagnosis compared to the US. Generally historically this has been a country that accepts quirkiness and eccentricity as normal and not that noteworthy and we aren't that keen on medicating children. (For example you have to be really ill to get antibiotics here nowadays)

I have worked in schools with children with statements then later worked educating teaching assistants who support children with special educational needs and my experience is this: as far as schools are concerned a diagnosis leads to education assistance in the form of a statement or just additional classroom support and both of these cost time and money.

All that said, what do you hope will change if you have a diagnosis? Statements are not easy to obtain (due to time and money constraints) and additional support is also not simply a matter of requesting it and it being instated.

I now home educate my two youngest children and within our local HE community there are some children whose parents would say that they are on the spectrum and who struggled in school but are thriving in ways that could not be predicted at home. Often the school has flagged an 'issue' which itself is fuelled by the school environment and once the school factor is removed, the child is just a person who is accepted with their quirks, not a bundle of labels. If you find that school is not offering you the support that you hope, your local HE community may be a great source of support and understanding with people who see past the labels.

I hope you find a solution that suits your family and your son's needs in time.

#3 ·
Thanks for that!

(I grew up in Oxfordshire btw)

In a diagnosis I am hoping to seek support he needs and if possible put him the appropriate medication to help him concentrate long enough to take in things at School.

He's seen an Educational Phys. who last listed all the symptoms of some type of ASC but the community paediatrician who refuses to even offer him an appointment to talk about our concerns states ''he does not appear to be an autistic boy'' which is complete and utter rubbish, She ought to of read the educational phys report!

He's not going to have a FULL assessment (not just an observation) from the Ed Phys. Thanks :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.