Moving to Edinburgh and looking for Aping/unschooling community - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone! Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I am a forum newbie. :) In about a year we will be moving to Edinburgh ( or possibly Fife) and was wondering what the natural parenting/ unschooling or homeschooling community is like there. We also are planning on having a second child about that time, and although I am British I am unfamiliar with VBACs in the UK as well as homebirth there ( I have lived abroad for most of my life).

We have a nearly 4 year old daughter, who is still breastfeeding/cosleeping. We currently live in Thailand and she has had problems with the neighborhood kids trying to hit her or run away when she approaches. We have to wait 7 months for our dogs/cat to get cleared to enter the UK, or we would move sooner. lol

Would love to cyber meet some of you in that area, and one day meet you in person!!

Elizabeth

http://www.sattvicfamily.net

unschooling mom, family travel enthusiast and holistic living advocate

#2 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 02:26 AM

Hi there! I live just outside Edinburgh. There is a great home schooling community here, and I think even branches of it in Fife! There are loads of us, and many different meet ups and groups to go to for all ages and interests. Here is the website; http://www.ebhe.org.uk/joining.html Once you are a member, you have access to forums, blogs and all the events and groups that EBHE has to offer.

We also have a meetup at the museum in Edinburgh for new members, where you can meet everyone and discuss all things homeschooling.

I have an almost 3 year old daughter, and we go to a couple of toddler groups, although not as aften as we'd like to. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, and hopefully I'll see you at one of the future meetups :)

#3 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Nettlesoup BRILLIANT!! God I wish I was there now, as there are only a few of us home ed/unschoolers here. My daughter is really struggling with making friends. I am so happy to hear you have a great, supportive community there!!!

Right now we aren't certain what we will do for work, which is one of the other things keeping us from moving sooner. My husband is Canadian American ( we are both mixes lol) and he will be the one working, if he can't work from home. I have no idea how to get him a visa but from what I have read it isn't too challenging, since I am a Brit. He plans on going to the Royal Conservatoire at some point for his MA, so maybe he will get a student visa.

Off the subject, but any suggestions for sites that help people find employment, or help entrepreneurs start up their businesses? He is a wellness coach (http://www.holisticdad.net  so ideally we would just like him to work from home doing that. We have heard that the natural health movement is quite popular in Scotland.

Sorry for all the questions!!

unschooling mom, family travel enthusiast and holistic living advocate

#4 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 AM

Work isn't the easiest thing to get here at the moment, but it maybe easier as he can be self employed. I'm afraid I don't know anything about Visas, but on the work front, Business Gateway may be a possibility for him; http://www.business.scotland.gov.uk/bdotg/action/home?r.l1=1075193162&r.s=l&site=202 But I'm not sure whther or not you need to be Scottish, or a resident for a certain amount of time.

Either way, good luck with everything, and hopefully I'll eventually see you at the home schooling group :)

#5 of 6 Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 PM

I see the thread is pretty old, but just wanted to chime in on the visa issue. While I don't have experience with British immigration, if it's anything like in the US, a marriage based visa can take several months to get. Also, if you think of getting a student visa for your husband, make sure to check if that's possible when the student is married to a Brit. Those visas are only valid for a specific length of time and it may not be possible to upgrade to a marriage based visa while still in the UK (which requires him to return to Canada/US for a few months). 

Check with the various immigration forums online. For UK specific info, immigrationboards is good. 

On the subject of jobs--is difficult in all branches of business to find employment in Scotland? 

#6 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 PM

He will have to get a marriage visa, and that can take a little time but it shouldn't be months. You will have to apply from where you are now though.

Also, they lifted the quarantine rules for pets starting in January I believe, so you no longer would have the 7 month wait under the PETS scheme.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page