Mothering Forum banner

Dealing with horrible news stories (child death mentioned)

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  marinak1977 
#1 ·
I don't usually post in this forum, and I'm not sure if this is this should be in personal growth, but it is about a current event. An awful news story has been in our local papers (and maybe national, but I don't watch national news so I don't know how far it has gone). Before I say what happened I just want to say that I am looking for support in how to cope personally with this because I haven't ever been this affected by a news story. I'm generally pretty selective about what I'll read and watch because I know I do take things like this pretty hard, but this is a local story and virtually impossible to avoid.

Again, this is about the death of a child.

A few days ago a young boy was found dead in the woods not too far from where I live. It sounds like he died/was killed shortly before he was placed in the woods. The police still have no idea who he is and have not released the account of the autopsy. They think he was around 4 or 5 years old.

I drive near the location he was found when I go to work and cry every time, I'm having nightmares. There was a candlelight vigil for him this evening but I wasn't able to go. I think it would have helped, to be grieving with other people right now.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't help you, because I don't know how to deal either! I haven't even read your second paragraph lol!

The news of the 28 day old baby from another post has thrown me for a loop. I didn't even read the article, but my mouse scrolled over another poster's reply, and I saw the story's title. Wow, that was enough! For the past few nights, while putting my DD to sleep, I can't get the terrible image out of my mind. This also happened last summer, when there was a local tragedy involving a baby. I heard the beginning of the story on the news, and immediately turned the channel, tears flowing uncontrollably. Then, days later, my neighbor and niece, 2 separate occasions, brought up the story to me....."did you hear about....".... I tried to avoid the story, because I have a tough time dealing with stories about children.

All I can do is cry about it, and pray for them. I don't know anything else to do. These stories do have an unfortunately positive side effect though--they always bring me closer to my own children and loved ones.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

I can't help you, because I don't know how to deal either! I haven't even read your second paragraph lol!

The news of the 28 day old baby from another post has thrown me for a loop. I didn't even read the article, but my mouse scrolled over another poster's reply, and I saw the story's title. Wow, that was enough! For the past few nights, while putting my DD to sleep, I can't get the terrible image out of my mind. This also happened last summer, when there was a local tragedy involving a baby. I heard the beginning of the story on the news, and immediately turned the channel, tears flowing uncontrollably. Then, days later, my neighbor and niece, 2 separate occasions, brought up the story to me....."did you hear about....".... I tried to avoid the story, because I have a tough time dealing with stories about children.

All I can do is cry about it, and pray for them. I don't know anything else to do. These stories do have an unfortunately positive side effect though--they always bring me closer to my own children and loved ones.
This does help; crying and praying/meditating does help the pain move on.

I have read a lot about this particular tragedy because it is so close by and somehow that's helped, too. Usually I avoid stories to keep away from gory details, but I couldn't help it this time. A lot of the stories have been about how upset so many people have been, and how widespread the outpouring of grief has been. Somehow that has helped, knowing that it is a shared, collective grief.

#4 ·
I cry and and try to remember and send some love to those children. I hope that they have peace now (I'm agnostic). I try to do something nice for someone in need and put some kindness into the world. And after all that I give thanks for the gift of every breath I get to take and for my loved ones and I try to be a better mother, wife, and daughter.
hug.gif

I found that after I became a mother I started to get a physical reaction of grief when hearing about children hurt and abused. I think it really sunk in after DS was born just how much power and responsibility I have as his mother and how easy it is to hurt an innocent child.
greensad.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.