Wal-Mart Recalls Infant Formula - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
 
mamayogibear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is scary for those who can not breastfeed! I am so sad for that families loss and I hope it is the only one!

 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45762595/ns/health#.TvN7YcCYPQo


be good family...

mamayogibear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-24-2011, 09:54 AM
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 20,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so sorry for that family.  I hope no other babies are harmed by the bacteria.

 

That said, in one of the articles I read, it mentioned that the WHO says that infants under 28 days (four weeks) should NEVER be given powdered formula.  They should be only given ready to feed (if breastmilk is unavailable).  I had never heard that before and the people I have talked to never had either.  I wish that formula manufacturers needed to put "for infants one month and older" on their powdered formula!


 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 10:01 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,407
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

 

 

Quote:
 I had never heard that before and the people I have talked to never had either.

it's about clean water and sterilization and they really are not 100% sure that in the case it was the powder or the method used at home (cleanliness issues)


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
Old 12-24-2011, 06:50 PM
 
Megan73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

I am so sorry for that family.  I hope no other babies are harmed by the bacteria.

That said, in one of the articles I read, it mentioned that the WHO says that infants under 28 days (four weeks) should NEVER be given powdered formula.  They should be only given ready to feed (if breastmilk is unavailable).  I had never heard that before and the people I have talked to never had either.  I wish that formula manufacturers needed to put "for infants one month and older" on their powdered formula!

I totally agree.
The interesting thing is that the only person who told me about the potential dangers of powdered formula is the IBCLC who helped me when I had to supplement DS2 (fortunately temporarily) with formula. They really are experts in infant feeding. Our family doctor had never heard of it when I mentioned it.
That poor family.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Megan73 is offline  
Old 12-25-2011, 09:55 AM
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 20,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

 

it's about clean water and sterilization and they really are not 100% sure that in the case it was the powder or the method used at home (cleanliness issues)


 

I totally understand why, just had never actually heard that.  I had heard that ready to feed was *easier* on a baby, so when I had to buy formula for my newborn nephew that is what I bought.  I didn't really think about it being safer (considering we would be using filtered water), too.  I consider myself to be pretty educated about childcare (though probably fairly outdated at this point for infant issues, but not as outdated as many given my activity here and reading interests) and had just never known that.  It's info that needs to get out there!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post


I totally agree.
The interesting thing is that the only person who told me about the potential dangers of powdered formula is the IBCLC who helped me when I had to supplement DS2 (fortunately temporarily) with formula. They really are experts in infant feeding. Our family doctor had never heard of it when I mentioned it.
That poor family.


Unfortunately, I'm sure that other people would call her a "Breastfeeding Nazi" and say she was trying to unfairly scare them from using formula :(
 

 


 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
 

Tags
News
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off