Top Five Parenting Regrets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This was a short article in The Guardian by Dr. Angharad Rudkin, on the top five regrets most commonly listed by parents.

The top two:

Quote:

1 Spending too little time with your children

You're not just spending time with them – you're laying foundations that help them feel important and valued. Even a short amount of time every day, when you are completely with your children, can work wonders to make them feel other people are interested in them. No amount of presents or DVDs can make up for this. Remember, them wanting to spend intense time with you is for a brief period of your lives. Make the most of it.

Not prioritising their needs

Work out your needs and theirs and prioritise theirs as much as you can. For example, you really want your child to learn the violin but he/she really doesn't want to. Do you put what you want first or listen to what the child wants? With some things, such as school work, they have to do it. With other things, think about if it's for them or you.

Go to the Guardian UK  to read the last three. 

Do these resonate with you? Do you think your own parents have some of these regrets? What's your action plan for avoiding these regrets with your children? 

#2 of 4 Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Wow, annoying article. I was especially grouchy about point five: guilt. The article was pretty much parental guilt trip from start to finish.
#3 of 4 Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guilt is what I felt the most. No matter what I did, there was something not done. I spent my son's childhood always feeling bad for not being perfect. Now that he's a teen, I have relaxed a lot more. I wish I had been able to do it sooner. Oh, well.
#4 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

Wow, annoying article. I was especially grouchy about point five: guilt. The article was pretty much parental guilt trip from start to finish.

I agree.  While the points may be good, something about the phrasing was kind of...off putting.  I agree though with the main points.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page