Morning After Pill Will Soon be Available to Girls of All Ages Without Prescription - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

From CBSNews

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration must make emergency contraceptives available to girls of all ages within 30 days, a federal judge has ruled, saying the agency's decisions regarding the so-called morning-after pill were "arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable."

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Edward Korman came as the result of a lawsuit brought by reproductive-rights advocates, who had sought to remove age and other restrictions on the so-called "morning after" pill.

The Center for Reproductive Rights and other groups have argued that contraceptives are being held to a different and non-scientific standard than other drugs, and that politics has played a role in decision-making. Social conservatives have said the pill is tantamount to abortion.

Read More

What do you think of this ruling? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I think it is a good ruling.  I think this was how it was intended to be distributed in the first place.  It has been restricted for reasons that have almost nothing to do with health and safety.  The reasons have more to do with anti-abortion views, and that's ridiculous because Plan B is not an abortion pill.  It is taken before pregnancy occurs or can be detected.  It can prevent ovulation and thus conception and it can prevent pregnancy.  It could prevent lots of abortions later and increase the number of children who are born who were planned and wanted.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

I think it is a good ruling.  I think this was how it was intended to be distributed in the first place.  It has been restricted for reasons that have almost nothing to do with health and safety.  The reasons have more to do with anti-abortion views, and that's ridiculous because Plan B is not an abortion pill.  It is taken before pregnancy occurs or can be detected.  It can prevent ovulation and thus conception and it can prevent pregnancy.  It could prevent lots of abortions later and increase the number of children who are born who were planned and wanted.

I agree, I am all for this.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#4 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 PM

This is one judge, in Eastern NY. They can't control the FDA: if a lone district judge could trump agencies like the USDA & FDA, we would all be celebrating in the streets . . . The way the media is reporting it makes it more likely that the FDA will be like 'okay, sure!' but that isn't normally how it works.

Sebelius is VERY pro Pharma & even more pro Planned Parenthood, so she wants it available anyway, but to be like 'oh this one district judge is tying the FDA's hand is disingenuous.

My only concern was that when Planned Parenthood was giving it out, they would discuss with you your 'Plan A' when you went to get it. Also, this is distributed widely (to quote my student friend 'like candy') on college campuses already. It costs $50 in the store, so I think many have access to it from places (like clinics, PP, & colleges) that are not the drug store.

I am a tiny bit worried about dudes making women take it: there is already a really offensive movie about that concept.
#5 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 PM

The effectiveness of Plan B as EC is not really as high as you'd think, when you look @ the stats. It is less effective than other methods, for sure (Ella, Paragaurd), methods that make no bones about being able to impact a fertilized egg.

So making this Plan A is not ideal. I predict Combined Oral Contraceptives will hit the shelves next, that is already the case in many other countries. I don't favor that because hormones suck (in the environment, in the body), also because condoms are 100% better @ preventing STDs & many women are poor evaluators of their STD risk as evidenced by skyrocketing numbers. Hormonal methods actually increase STD susceptibility independant of behavior . . .
#6 of 6 Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I agree that Plan B should not be used as a primary form of birth control.  I believe it is always best to prevent with a reliable method.  And it is certainly important to prevent STD's from spreading.   

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Tags
News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page