ACOG President Says it's Best to Wait for Spontaneous Labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

President of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecolotgists released an article last month urging mothers to wait for nature to decide the baking babe's birthday.

Quote:
“Let nature take its course.” Over the years, I’ve found this saying particularly applies to the process of giving birth. My personal experience as an ob-gyn and reams of scientific research demonstrate that Mother Nature knows best when a child is ready to be born. The start of natural labor is the main sign, but we’re not always patient enough to wait for it.

He goes on to say that cesarean deliveries and inductions should only be performed "when medically-necessary."

Do you trust nature more than your doctor?  What would you do if your doctor was urging an induction in your healthy pregnancy?

Work-at-home mama of one tot with another on the way!

I blog here and at www.hippieswithbabies.com.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

What an interesting blog, thanks for sharing that.

#3 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
That is interesting. I was due around Christmas and was very skeptical when my doctor suggested that if I hadn't given birth by the 20th, we should schedule an induction. I just answered that with a, "Nah. I'm good to wait, thanks."

I was ready to argue for at least two weeks past my due date! But then went into labour on the 15th. Oh well.
#4 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM

This is great! THe problem is that most parents don't know what medically necessary is. When a doctor says things like the baby is too big etc they assume that is medical necessity when the things the doctor says is often driven by fear of law suites or doctor convenience. How do parents know?

#5 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthlink View Post

This is great! THe problem is that most parents don't know what medically necessary is. When a doctor says things like the baby is too big etc they assume that is medical necessity when the things the doctor says is often driven by fear of law suites or doctor convenience. How do parents know?

I know! When I went into labor with my first, I was told that I was not progressing quickly enough pretty much as soon as I got to the hospital. (And I went in as soon as I realized I was in labor.) They had me pace the hallways for an hour, then told me I needed Pitocin. I believed that they would not say this unless it was medically necessary -- now I know it's ridiculous to determine that a perfectly healthy first time mom "needs" augmentation after only an hour of labor! Even with my youngest (my FIFTH!) it was so hard to figure out if the "distress" my baby was in was really distress, or just the hospital freaking out because they don't like VBACs. (My doctor was awesome and supportive, but his boss was trying to convince me to get a c-section from the moment I stepped into the hospital.)

I do know one woman who knowingly had two completely elective inductions, and she's happy with that. But every other woman I've ever spoken to either believed that her induction / c-section were necessary (at least at the time) or was pushed into it by care providers against her wishes.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#6 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM

With both of my pregnancies induction was brought up at 40 weeks. With DS I had early labor augmented after 2 days of irregular contractions that only got me to 2 cm. I was 41weeks and still regret not going home and let labor take it's natural course. With DD I had the same 2 days of irregular contractions but stayed home and was able to have a natural birth at 41+4. I was ready to go 43 weeks, but my OB was getting very uncomfortable at 41.

On an interesting note, in our March due date club the majority of us went to 41 or 42 week.
#7 of 11 Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM

I was due on the 13th of December and when DD was 5 days late was told that amniotic fluid was too low and I needed to act right away. Ended up in a cesarean but I keep feeling like they were lying due to Christmas proximity. It's hard to say, "I'll wait" when they tell you your baby is under stress.
#8 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM

I think women should be left alone. I lucked out and went into labor at 38 weeks, but I was fearful at what would happen at 40 weeks. I was ready to argue for at least 42, but I didn't have to go through that. Now, I feel more empowered for the next one. Thank you for the great read!

#9 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM

Instinct suggests this to be true. The medical profession are an over-cautious lot.

I was considered an old mother - and had veiled threats of placenta breakdown thrown around in conversations if the bub had not arrived on or before the due date. I didn't want an induction, but was persuaded to have a membrane sweep instead.

This kicked off a kind of false labour - where I 'laboured' for 24 hours or more, didn't progress (obviously baby not ready) - and ended up having an unscheduled c-section, which I was disappointed about.

I would have declined the membrane sweep if I hadn't been spooked by the doctor....things might have been different if bubs had been allowed to bake as long as she needed (or not, who can really tell?)

#10 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM

18 years ago, my cousin's wife was pregnant with twin girls. she was induced at 7 months, at one of her appointments, against her wishes. maybe it was coercion, but she was told it was "better" for her and her babies, that without it, she risked having them prematurely anyway, away from immediate hospital help. One of the babies wound up dying as a result. TK has never had the sister she should have and will always go through life knowing that.

#11 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmansmom View Post

With both of my pregnancies induction was brought up at 40 weeks. With DS I had early labor augmented after 2 days of irregular contractions that only got me to 2 cm. I was 41weeks and still regret not going home and let labor take it's natural course. With DD I had the same 2 days of irregular contractions but stayed home and was able to have a natural birth at 41+4. I was ready to go 43 weeks, but my OB was getting very uncomfortable at 41.

On an interesting note, in our March due date club the majority of us went to 41 or 42 week.

Did you know when you ovulated?  I'm asking because I am now considered "6 weeks" along. I know that they add 2 weeks at the start from your LMP, but I know the precise day I O'd was CD 9, which is FIVE days (almost a week) earlier than you're "supposed" to. So if you went 41, you may have been only 40 wks if you had an extrememly early O. (I know that I O'd that day b/c it was three days after AF had completely ended, I had a single spot of bright pink with EWCM in my underwear, and I had had a bit of pain one side earlier that morning, coinciding with a temp rise the following morning. Got my 1st bfp 11 days later.)

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page