Pink or Blue? A Photo Essay on Gender Specific Marketing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

JeongMee Yoon, a South Korean artist, in an effort to explore gender-specific marketing, has photographed children surrounded by their possessions. You can see some of them here on Slate.com. 

The article says: 

Quote:
Realizing her daughter was part of an international phenomenon of gender-specific marketing campaigns, Yoon began photographing American and South Korean children in their bedrooms with their collection of pink and blue objects, highlighting the powerful gender-oriented marketing pitch toy companies such as Mattel make to children and parents.

The pictures and the way she's arranged the children, surrounded by all this stuff, is a very powerful statement, in my opinion. 

Have a look.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM

The photography is amazing!!

And the gender-specific color-coded marketing ploy is so true. About 10 years ago one of my first jobs in the USA was as a Sales Assistant at a shoe store for toddlers. Almost all the shoes for girls were pink and almost all shoes for boys were blue. We once ran out of "girls shoes" in a popular model and I suggested the mom to buy the identical version and shoe size in blue (aka, the "boys" version). She looked at me shocked and offended saying: "But those are boys shoes!" Granted, the shoes were for a 1 year old. 

So, the question is: are brands not manufacturing kids products in non-traditional gender colors fearing that they won't sell (given the mom's reaction above), or marketing campaigns have been so successful that they brainwashed parents into believing only certain colors are acceptable for their boys / daughters? 

#3 of 3 Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM

It just so happens that the Mothering community has a very heated conversation thread about the exact same topic: 

Pink for girls and blue for boys? What do you think? 

Tags
News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page