Indiana Midwife Faces 17 Felony Charges - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Certified Professional Midwives are practicing homebirths legally in only about half of the U.S.  A bill just passed the Senate in Indiana to begin licensure for CPMs but unfortunately it did not happen before the rise in arrests of CPMs in the last few years. Midwife Carol Velasquez is the latest Hoosier arrest and has been charged with 13 counts of unlawful practice of medicine and 4 counts of obtaining or procuring a legend drug: http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/midwife-carol-velasquez-faces-17-felony-charges#

The prosecutor in the case insists that she is not attacking homebirths or midwives, just this particular midwife.  

Quote:
"The problem isn't with home birth. The problem isn't with midwifery. The problem is with the use of drugs," said Marion County Deputy Prosecutor Kristina Korobov. "I would encourage her supporters to pick up a copy of the charging information and to read through the charges and ask themselves if this jives with the home birth process and how it is supposed to work."

Velasquez supporters are not convinced and rally outside the courthouse during her hearings.

Quote:
"I think they are completely false and not true. I've worked with Carol. I know her to be an upstanding citizen," said Angie Herzberger, Velasquez's friend. "I have never seen her use any illegal drugs. She uses only natural methods."

How do you feel about both the licensing of midwives and the rise in their recent arrests?

Work-at-home mama of one tot with another on the way!

I blog here and at www.hippieswithbabies.com.

#2 of 5 Old 04-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I want to know if she used the Cytotec and Pitocin to treat postpartum hemorrhage. If so, that's completely appropriate.

Also, if the issue isn't home birth or her practicing midwifery, why is she in trouble for attending homebirths?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not certain if she allegedly gave the drugs during labor or after birth.  That would be important to know.  I will try to see if I can find clarity on that.

#4 of 5 Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I cannot find an article that explicitly says when the drugs were given to the mamas.  However, there were a few articles that were titled with 'administered drugs during labor,' like this one.  We will have to watch the case for more details to surface!

#5 of 5 Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Is there an update in Carol's case? 

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page