Babies Born Even Slightly Early May Lag Behind: Study - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This article talks about a study that shows that those last couple of weeks do make a difference, and therefore suggests that women not have elective c-sections or inductions slightly early.

http://www.healthfinder.gov/News/Article.aspx?id=675406
Quote:
A term of 37 to 41 weeks is considered ''normal,'' but the new research finds birth at 39 to 41 weeks provides more developmental advantages compared to birth at 37 to 38 weeks.

"If the pregnancy is going well, it would be better to avoid doing elective C-sections early in the full-term window," said study author Dr. Betsy Lozoff, a professor of pediatrics and communicable diseases at the University of Michigan.

Do you have any opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-16-2013, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If this study helps a woman who wants a natural birth fend off a care provider who is pushing an early induction or c-section that isn't medically indicated, I'd say that's a good thing.

The article makes it clear that the study doesn't really indicate whether individual babies will be affected by early delivery. It's about looking at trends in large populations. So, I'm not sure how valuable it is to individual women in their personal decision making, other than in the scenario I mentioned above.

Also, the article doesn't say whether the babies studied were cases where a mother was induced or elective a c-section, or if they were all natural onset of labor, or some mixture of the two. Also, they assessed babies at one year, but it doesn't tell us if delays present at 1 year lead to delays beyond the 1-year mark.

I would say there is a lot more study that needs to be done in order to really understand the long-term impact of early delivery. But hey, it's a start.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

Tags
News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page