The Case for Teaching Kids 'Vagina,' 'Penis,' and 'Vulva' - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This article says that it is important that kids learn the real words for body parts, both so they are aware and can tell people about sexual abuse, and so they can tell parents and doctors specifically about health issues.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/04/the-case-for-teaching-kids-vagina-penis-and-vulva/274969/

Quote:
Yet while cases like these make headlines, educators increasingly believe--and parents seem increasingly to accept--that teaching and using plain and accurate language to describe the human body can help children live healthier lives. "We need all adults to be partners in teaching healthy childhood sexual development," says NSVRC's Palumbo, and "square one is body parts." Educators and parents should communicate accurately, without stigma or shame, she says. This helps children who "have important health questions or an experience they're concerned about talk with adults about their concerns," whether the child is seven or seventeen. Parents are children's most important teachers, it's true, but, as educators like Palumbo notes, not every one of the 55 million children who goes to school in America each day comes home to a CDC-ideal "safe, stable, and nurturing environment." One study indicates 34 percent of child sexual abuse offenders are family members. Meanwhile, one in ten students reports being sexually victimized by school employees, predominantly teachers and coaches.

Do you think it's important to teach kids the accurate words for body parts?
#2 of 59 Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it's vital.  I would think that a child that knows the proper terms for their bodies would discourage a sexual predator.  It's also important for children of all age to feel comfortable telling adults "no" when it comes to their bodies.  That means don't force your kids to give unwanted hugs or kisses to family, stop tickling when they tell you to stop, and teach them to care for their own bodies at an early age.

My kids know the names of their "parts", even so far as "foreskin," "testes,"  "scrotum," "glans," "urethra," "clitoris," and "labia."  This has been very helpful with medical issues as my kids can point out exactly what's bothering them, rather than saying, "My pee-pee hurts."

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 59 Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 PM

Absolutely essential that your kid knows the names of his/her body parts.

And use them right, darn it! irked.gif Stop telling little girls the vagina is the outside part.... the outside part is the vulva or labia. No one sees your vagina except your midwife or lover.
ghannit likes this.
#4 of 59 Old 04-18-2013, 03:53 AM

Yes, very important. While we have nicknames for some parts(piggies for toes, for example), the kids all learned the correct names along with them.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#5 of 59 Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Absolutely essential that they learn the correct words.  I was a pedi ER nurse for years, and in cases where medical staff is trying to find out the extent of sexual molestation, knowing accurate terms is key.  You would be surprised how many school age girls do not know anything about their own genitalia.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#6 of 59 Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Of course. Whats wrong with knowing the truth?

#7 of 59 Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Absolutely.  Here's a horrible story for you that I heard from a sexual assault/abuse advocate....

A little girl went up to her headstart teacher and said "Johnny (not real name) keeps touching my cookie!"

Teacher says, "Sometimes we have to share our cookie, honey."

Cookie was the name her family had given her vulva.  It took awhile for the teachers to discover what was going on (and yes, 'Johnny' was inappropriately touching her vulva).

Lazurii likes this.
#8 of 59 Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 PM

I have never understood why you wouldn't teach a child facts. I mean, we don't make up names for anything else do we? And if we do, its always corrected by school age. And knowing your body is a hundred times more important than knowing animal sounds...

I will also never understand why "the sex talk" is not only uncomfortable for parents but also just *one* "talk". Our bodies and sex are a natural part of life. Why so many people are ashamed of these parts and acts is beyond me. The human body, natural functions, health, diet, sex, emotions; these should all be ongoing dialogs with your kids from birth through adulthood.

Pagan mama, married to DH since 10/27/09. Had a wonderful h20homebirth.gif with baby D in 2012!

#9 of 59 Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM

Agree with philomom about not using "vagina" to refer to the vulva. My brother laughed at me for teaching ds that his sister has a vulva. Yes, she has a vagina, too, but that's not what he was pointing at when she was having her diaper changed. If you are going to use accurate terms...then use the correct ones.

Also I was so proud of him when he hurt himself and was able to tell me, "My testicles owie!" Not quite 2 years old, but can accurately express that he wracked himself.

me: C (33), wife to P (35), mom to peanut butter angel1.gif (1/10), porky jog.gif(5/11), and dumplin' baby.gif(10/12).

#10 of 59 Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM

I know that a lot of people are against only teaching the word vagina, but i feel like when girls are little it works just fine. I dont see the value in having her distinguish between vulva and vagina at a young age, it will probably confuse her and that doesnt help any. If she comes to me and tells me her vagina hurts i'm smart enough to figure out if its a UTI, infection, rash, etc. If she tells me that someone has been touching her vagina then it really doesnt matter if it was internal or external, both are just as bad. I think distinguishing the different parts like urethra, clitoris, labia, vulva, etc becomes relevant as preteens and teens, which the parents can teach and schools typically do as well. I also cant take the word "vulva" seriously, it sounds too much like volvo. Maybe thats childish of me, but it has never been a part of my normal vocabularly and thats never been an issue for me.

As for little boys, the same principle applies: when they're little its good for them to know penis and possibly testicles as well, but they dont need to know more than that until around the start of puberty.

For both sexes, i definitely feel its a disservice to give their parts dumb, cutesy names which has been the norm for many generations. Hoo-hoo, cookie, squishy, vajayjay, pee pee etc is not helpful and can be harmful, like that story a PP shared.
expat-mama and eniksel like this.

Mama to I (3/11) and pregnant again (3/20/13) love.gif

The richness of life cannot be sold nor bought. --me
#11 of 59 Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 PM

I agree - I've also read that it's "better" in court if a child can say  "The person touched my vulva/penis" than "The person touched my flower/cookie!"

TOTALLY OT - Who seriously calls female genitalia a "cookie"? I would die. Every time someone asked me if I wanted a cookie, I would fall apart giggling. I mean, I'm an adult and I still can't handle the words "wiener" or "peep" in general conversation.

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

Birthmom since Jul/09 adoptionheart-1.gif

Early losses Jan/10 (7w), Aug/11 (5w), Jul/12 (5w)

joy.gifDD Jan '14

femalesling.GIF novaxnocirc.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif ecbaby2.gif cd.gif 

#12 of 59 Old 04-18-2013, 10:16 PM

Very different meanings when we look at a child's (often very natural) behavior, such as "I stuck the dinosaur in my butt", "I stuck the dinosaur in my anus" "I stuck the dinosaur in my vagina" or "I stuck the dinosaur in my vulva". 

I can't get over the visual I get when someone (even grownups!) refer to a mysterious external vagina. I imagine this thing that resembles a waving tunnel, an unruly sort of thing always getting stuck in the panties. Wait....that's a penis.

#13 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 12:27 AM

I dont know, maybe i'm a dodo but i like the idea of using the word "vagina" as a reference to the entire female genitalia. The inner and outer are very much connected so why distinguish them (except for detailed circumstances like talking to your doctor)? Is it simply to sound proper? What i'm referring to is a lot like the term "yoni"--its referring to the entire female genitalia in a sacred way. My vagina includes all my female parts even if the dictionary says thats wrong.

#14 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove View Post

I dont know, maybe i'm a dodo but i like the idea of using the word "vagina" as a reference to the entire female genitalia. The inner and outer are very much connected so why distinguish them (except for detailed circumstances like talking to your doctor)? Is it simply to sound proper? What i'm referring to is a lot like the term "yoni"--its referring to the entire female genitalia in a sacred way. My vagina includes all my female parts even if the dictionary says thats wrong.

I guess my viewpoint is that there is already a collective term for all the components of the female genitalia - vulva - so why use a different word? Especially one which has its own specific meaning. I appreciate that language is fluid and evolving, I just don't think that this is a particularly positive change.

And I feel quite strongly about teaching a child the name of something and then telling them 10-12 years later, actually that's not right. We wouldn't call the arm an elbow until puberty and then say actually, kids, your elbow is just the bendy, pointy bit, you also have fingers a hand, wrist, forearm, upper arm, shoulder and collectively it's your arm.

Sunshinelove, I don't mean to pick on you, I know lots of people share you point of view cthis is just something I happen to feel strongly about.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#15 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 AM

Some of these comments are cracking me up. Lanamommy-External vagina-wacky wavy inflatable arm man LOL

I do actually just call it a vagina when the kids are really little and in my care at all times. As they get older, they learn the real parts but it is no big deal. I totally agree with the pp talking about not just having the ONE talk...sex and the reproductive system is something that starts as toddlers. I have never had a one big talk. I mean...seeing cows mating in the field, there you go, don't tell them they are playing or wrestling, they are making baby cows. Totally not awkward, it's just what it is.

We ended up calling vagina "gina"(long vowel i) bc when we moved, my mom visited and I was showing her my box of China dishes, and my just-turned-5 year old thought I said "gina" as in "vagina" dishes LMAO. So now that's the nickname, but everyone but the 18 month old knows what is what.

Also, a speculum is called a "vagiculum". 

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#16 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 AM

I tend to agree with the 'not getting uptight' over vagina/vulva distinction. I grew up with 'vagina'. What about 'clitoris'?  Its also visible...The fact is, female genitalia  is  more complicated that male, and therefore there are more parts to it. I dont need to go into every detail with my daughter (or son) Just a functioning word that is more or less accurate (as is vagina, even though it refers to the inside part rather than the outiside visible part) When you say 'penis' to a boy, he understands that thing he sees, that he pees with, that feels good when he touches,  that must be kept private etc.  But for a girl, you have to use so many different words, why not vagina? Vulva is also good and more accurate when describing the visible part, but not so much the part that she 'feels'.

Also, 'vulva' is an ugly word, 'vagina' sounds so much nicer.

However, having been alerted myself to the strict scientific differences between  vag and vulv, i  teach my kids the  strictly correct words.(still dont like the word 'vulva')

My sister, 40yrs old, pregnant with her first child, and doing lots of research on childbirth, surprised me by her ignorance of the word 'perinium'.  Do you tech your kids the word 'perinium'? I bet those who get uptight about the vulv/vag issue dont  ....

(Shocking the story about the cookie)

#17 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

I taught both the words "vulva" and "vagina." When my older one got a UTI at 4, and told me her vulva hurt, I had a better idea of what was going on. If she'd told me her vagina hurt, I would have had other questions. It felt helpful for me that she knew both words. Her doctor was actually surprised she knew the word "vulva." She thought it was great she knew how to accurately talk about what was happening, but she said it isn't common for kids to know that word.

I don't teach "perinium" and I'm not sure how likely my girls are going to need that word anytime soon. I guess I don't think because teaching every possible word seems overly complicated, that teaching those two is complicated.
#18 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Definitely. We just called it our privates growing up (both boys and girls) and my husbands family had similar names, and I think it creates a "dirty" connotation. I think children feel like if we can't say the name of our body parts something must be wrong with it, or it isn't good. However, I haven't ever thought about getting so technical. I will definitely consider that.

#19 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM

Absolutely!  Crucial - for self-esteem, health, protection, normalization of sex, so many things.  It's a no-brainer to me (of course, I've never been one for any kind of cutesy baby talk with my kid smile.gif curious about the world? cool - a spade is a spade - that's what's up!).

I don't think that teaching girls the difference between "vulva" and "vagina" is any more complicated than telling a boy he has a "penis" AND "testicles." shrug.gif  Lord knows nobody combines the frank and beans!

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#20 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM

My boys dont know the word 'testicles' yet, i mean, they never really asked...in any case, it is not the anatomical equivalent...

#21 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Katelove--But vulva isnt a collective word for all the parts of the female genitalia--thats just the part you can SEE. Thats actually a small percentage of the total parts.

I grew up using the word vagina as a collective term and i see nothing wrong with that. If people want to make that distinction they can but honestly i dont think it really matters other than for technical purposes. I thought more about this and i realized that a lot of little girls arent even aware of an inner vs an outer female gentalia, just the outer so giving it one name makes it less confusing. Once they are exploring themselves more and have more questions then it is more appropriate to give them the different terms.

#22 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:

thought more about this and i realized that a lot of little girls arent even aware of an inner vs an outer female gentalia, just the outer so giving it one name makes it less confusing. Once they are exploring themselves more and have more questions then it is more appropriate to give them the different terms.

It's interesting how people can have such different experiences - one of my childhood friends had to be taken to the doctor for putting marbles up there!  And my mother made sure to always tell us (proactively) not to put things in there, just like no crayons up the nose, no paper clips in the ears or what have you. lol.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#23 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Oh my gosh...marbles!!

#24 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

What a way to decide what word to use! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

I don't teach "perinium" and I'm not sure how likely my girls are going to need that word anytime soon. I guess I don't think because teaching every possible word seems overly complicated, that teaching those two is complicated.

Totally seconded. I don't get why teaching two words, "vulva" and "vagina", is so complicated. If I had to use just one word I'd go with vulva. That's the external part that she is most likely to see and interact with, anyway. Girls aren't too likely to have much to do with their vaginas until puberty. Unless they are molested, in which case, like someone noted upthread, knowing one accurate word for the area is sufficient because nobody should be touching them on any part of the area anyway. 

A friend of mine blogged about teaching her kids euphemisms for genitals. I asked her about it and she said that she has difficulty bringing herself to use the words herself, and she'd rather have a euphemism that she can say in a matter-of-fact way than use the real word and cringe and thereby convey to her kids that it's a cringe-worthy thing. I can sort of see an argument there, though I am assuming also that they taught the kids both the real names and the euphemisms. 

I've heard the "Uncle Max touched my cookie" kind of story before (on the Internet, not anywhere in real life). The really horrid version was where the girl was telling her mom, who was presumably the one who taught her to call it a cookie in the first place! 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#25 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 PM

Hmm.  My parents tell a story about friends of theirs who (in the mid-1960's) had taught their little girl to call her genitals her "box"...she was about 3 yrs old and the little girl's parents thought it was just hiLARious and kept finding ways to ask their daughter about her 'box' throughout the dinner party and then laughing uproariously at her befuddlement...

As a result my parents never socialized with those people again, and were thusly inspired to teach their daughters the correct terminology, yay.

Another story I have filed away is when I learned my college boyfriend's parents taught their daughter to call her genitals her "goodgirl".  They also didn't explain menstruation when it was imminent and she was pretty sure she was dying, bleeding to death...

Yikes.  Very glad I didn't end up married into that mess.

Mama of 6 joy.gifjumpers.gifjumpers.gif, eldest is 10yrs, youngest is 18mos.  winner.jpgfamilybed1.gif our 6th baby was born at home, hooray!

#26 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Katelove--But vulva isnt a collective word for all the parts of the female genitalia--thats just the part you can SEE. Thats actually a small percentage of the total parts.

ms.

Vulva is a collective term for the labia majora, labia minora, clitoris and vestibule. That covers pretty much everything. Yes there is more clitoris on the inside than the outside and the vagina isn't included but what else is missing?

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#27 of 59 Old 04-19-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Vulva is a collective term for the labia majora, labia minora, clitoris and vestibule. That covers pretty much everything. Yes there is more clitoris on the inside than the outside and the vagina isn't included but what else is missing?

What about the uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes, and ovaries?

#28 of 59 Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 AM

We're talking about parts that the kid can recognize and touch/point to. I mean, we don't typically teach them about the anatomical location of their pancreas, kidneys, gallbladder, spleen, etc. either at the same time we are teaching them hand, arm, chest, ear, eye, etc.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#29 of 59 Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Enigeron- "What a way to decide what word to use

I think i said at least a couple of times that the correct terminology is desirable. therefore i use the correct terminology. Nonetheless, i dont get  as uptight as others about the vulvl/vagina distinction because i grew up with 'vagina'.  Also, vulva isnt a nice word, but who cares?  Its the accuracy i aim for...anybody here say that they choose words to use based on what they sound like?

Having said that, personally, i feel my vagina more than my vulva, although i see my vulva.  A boy feels his penis  like a girl feels her vagina ( i guess) So what the girl feels is just as important as what she sees . Thats why the word 'vagina' is important, and maybe how it came to be used in the first place.

Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Thanks for clarifying.

#30 of 59 Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 AM

As a mother who has practiced accurate body part naming my children's entire life I can see the emotional benefits in my children vs their peers.  My children are much more secure and mature with their bodies then their same age group friends.  My MIL was horrified that I asked her to use the word penis rather than the slang "birdie". She even went as far as to ask me NOT to teach her 4 yr old THAT word. I asked her why? We call his nose a nose and his elbow an elbow? She only had an emotional response. After all theses years she has accepted that terms like penis and vulva and yes even breast and vagina are used in our house when needed.

Sara CD and CBE

Labor Affirmation:

My cervix opens outward and allows my baby to ease down.

Tags
News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page