Exclusive, Extended Breastfeeding Lowers Mother-to-Infant HIV Risk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought I'd read in the past that mothers with HIV should not breastfeed, or at least I know there's been controversy over that. But this study shows otherwise.

http://www.voanews.com/content/exclusive-extebded-breastfeeding-lowers-mother-to-infant-hiv-risk/1643748.html
Quote:
A new study has found that HIV-infected mothers are less likely to transmit the virus to their newborns if they breastfeed their child exclusively for more than 4 months. The findings have important implications in sub-Saharan Africa, where infants are at greater risk of contracting and dying from diarrheal diseases or pneumonia.

Breastfeeding is widely regarded as the best form of nutrition for newborns because human milk transfers not only essential nutrients but also important immune-system factors from mother to child, protecting the baby against potentially life-threatening infections.

What do you think about this?
#2 of 2 Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting! My main initial reaction though was to laugh about the difference between what I thought they meant by "exclusive extended" bfing and what the article says, which is beyond 4 months. I was thinking years! I did meet a mother once at a diner who told me she nursed her child exclusively for two years. As in, he only got her milk, no other food. She was from Latin America. I was intrigued and amazed. For one thing, how could you STOP a mobile baby or toddler from eating?

Anyway, it makes sense nursing would create immune benefits. Maybe if you do it long enough it kills off the virus?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page