Study Finds No Harm In Occasional Drink During Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is the occasional glass of wine or beer OK for moms-to-be? 

Quote:

According to a new study published in BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, there doesn't seem to be any measurable risk.

The study found that drinking up to two alcoholic beverages per week during pregnancy is not linked to developmental problems in children. But even the study's authors caution that abstaining from alcohol is still best for mothers-to-be.

Read more in the original article here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/04/17/177644483/study-finds-no-harm-in-occasional-drink-during-pregnancy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I think I would still abstain during pregnancy. It just wouldn't feel right and if I gave birth and my baby had an issue the first thing I would think is"dang,it was those cocktails" and be all guilt ridden.

#3 of 10 Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM

With my first daughter I didn't know I was pregnant until about 4-5 weeks and drank pretty heavily because my husband and I had our engagement party...I was freaked out, and she was fine.  I think I pretty much abstained with #2 except maybe a glass of wine at the very end. With #3 I did have an occasional drink throughout the 2nd and 3rd trimester, but always things like sangria I made myself, which was just a little bit of wine with a lot of juice or soda...I did have a big fat glass of red on my due date though :)  With #4, the research has been compelling enough to me that I feel ok having the occasional drink, as long as it is, again, something like sangria, or a frozen margarita from a place that I know makes them extremely weak.  I will enjoy some wine towards the end as well.  As long as you keep it to one drink, once or twice a week, and that drink isn't a shot of liquor, or a giant glass of wine, I think its ok- the royal college of obstetrics & gyn in britain actually says that 1-2 drinks, 1-2x/week is considered a "safe amount"

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#4 of 10 Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I agree with tracyamber, nope. If there was a problem, I would always feel that my choice to drink might have had a role in it. Also, I do not think that the study mentioned in the article can accurately conclude that a drink or two a week is safe. I think it takes more than one study to reach an answer.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#5 of 10 Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM

Research has never shown harm from occasional drinking during pregnancy. Alcohol at certain developmental stages can cause profound developmental problems. The problem is it is hard to define the amount of alcohol for an individual pregnancy on a given day in the pregnancy so to err on the side of caution "experts" encouraged women to abstain from any alcohol during all of pregnancy. The problem is "experts" loose credibility when they take these kinds of stands because we all know women that drank during pregnancy and it seems that everything turned out okay. I was born in the 50's and my mother drank A LOT when she was pregnant with me. 

Fetal alcohol syndrome is rare (0.5 - 2 cases per 1000 live births in the US), involves profound developmental problems, and is thought to be the result of heavy drinking. Smoking during pregnancy is a huge problem and is a behavior we as a society we continue to accept. Smoking causes many pregnancy complications and can cause lifelong health and developmental complications for the child. In some states over 1/4 of all pregnant women smoke during their pregnancy. Over half of pregnant women may be regularly exposed to ETS. Many women have to live in apartments and ETS and harmful chemicals like formaldehyde can move from apartment to apartment through the ventilation system, cracks in the walls, ect. Some "experts" believe smoking is a bigger problem for pregnancy than using cocaine because of the frequency of dosing the baby gets (people smoke more frequently than they take cocaine).

If my child wasn't perfect, would I blame the glass of wine I drank while I pregnant (if I drank a glass of wine)? Of course not. 

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#6 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 AM

I don't see FAS running rampant in cultures where wine/beer is normally drank during pregnancy. I don't think our DNA in the US is that totally different!! We just tend to overreact about everything.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#7 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah I think the issue has always been that no one knows just how much alcohol it takes, so doctors have always suggested just not having any, because of course you know it won't be a problem in that case. But I do think that probably causes unnecessary anxiety in pregnant mothers. The fact that so many of us would rush to blame ourselves if something went wrong for something that almost certainly could have caused it seems like proof of that to me. Anxiety is probably not great during pregnancy either. I didn't drink, but I have other health issues that cause me not to drink regardless, but I did eat sandwich meat and bleu cheese and other stuff I was warned against. I think we worry too much about this kind of thing.
#8 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My OB/GYN said I could have 1 glass of wine or 1 beer every once in a while, but not every weekend.  I've been completely abstaining from alcohol anyways, because I've never liked to just have 1 drink.  But before I knew I was pregnant..up until about 8 weeks, I probably got drunk a couple times and had a few drinks on most weeks and was smoking cigarettes.  Everyone has assured me not to worry about it.  A midwife said fetuses are quite resilient and also to consider that my baby had only been getting what I put into my body for 4 weeks, not 8, since 2 of those weeks were counted from my last period before I even conceived and then the clump of cells was free floating for another 2 weeks before it implanted and started getting what I put into m body.

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

#9 of 10 Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM

In France, the official rule is a little wine is fine during pregnancy. I was startled to find that out; it highlighted for me that culture was playing a role as well as research.

As an aside, in France mothers are admonished never to eat unwashed unpeeled fruit (like an apple) because of toxoplasmosis (or is it listeriosis?). I scoffed that off and ate apples in front of shocked people, later to learn that the rate is indeed high in Europe because there is a lot of cat poo everywhere! I was fine, but just saying, the rules vary a bit between countries!
#10 of 10 Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCapucine View Post

In France, the official rule is a little wine is fine during pregnancy. I was startled to find that out; it highlighted for me that culture was playing a role as well as research.

As an aside, in France mothers are admonished never to eat unwashed unpeeled fruit (like an apple) because of toxoplasmosis (or is it listeriosis?). I scoffed that off and ate apples in front of shocked people, later to learn that the rate is indeed high in Europe because there is a lot of cat poo everywhere! I was fine, but just saying, the rules vary a bit between countries!

I was just in the French Riviera a few weeks ago and ordered my husband a soda when he took our toddler potty. The woman looked at my bump like she was trying to figure out if I was pregnant or just had a small belly. She finally offered me a glass of wine instead and kindly told me soda is bad for the baby. wink1.gif

Tags
News , Pregnancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page