More Breast Feeding Could Save Billions and Prevent Thousands of Breast Cancer Cases - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-07-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A new study on breastfeeding is out and, no surprise, it's good for baby and mom!

Quote:
Thanks to public health messages, everyone pretty much knows that breast-feeding is beneficial for baby. But it’s also really good for mom, and now a new study quantifies just how good.

If new moms adhered to the recommended guidelines that urge them to breast-feed each child they give birth to for at least one year, they could theoretically stave off up to 5,000 cases of breast cancer, about 54,000 cases of hypertension and nearly 14,000 heart attacks annually.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/06/07/more-breast-feeding-could-save-billions-and-prevent-thousands-of-breast-cancer-cases/#ixzz2VXPZv6pM

Any thoughts about this new study?
#2 of 3 Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"And even Bartick notes that it’s impossible to know for sure if breast-feeding itself causes less disease or if women who breast-feed simply have healthier habits." See, that's the real problem here. Correlation doesn't equal causation. Women who breastfeed are often better educated and healthier to begin with. It's nice that they got an expert in causality, but his no doubt more extensive remarks are so boiled down in this piece as to be useless, and I can't access the original text, so I'm dubious that there is a real causative factor here. 

IMO, breastfeeding is a choice women should be able to make if we want to and receive societal support. I wish that the rhetoric defending our rights to receive support didn't need to be couched so much in the purported health benefits of breastfeeding. Even if breastfeeding has no or minimal health benefits, it should still be a mother's choice how to feed her baby and mothers should still be able to access lactation assistance, get time off from work to pump, etc. 

#3 of 3 Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I breastfed for three years, all told, and have breast cancer anyway, which contributes to my doubts about causative links. I hear a lot about how breastfeeding prevents cancers like mine, but examination of that claim has yet to reveal anything that holds up.

Breastfeeding was very important to me while I was doing it, but nearly every claim I have found for purported health benefits over formula has been overblown. The one exception seems to be protection from diarrheal disease. I want to support breastfeeding because I want to support parents in doing what feels right to them, not because of specious, scientific-sounding claims that fall down.

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page