'Positive Parenting' approach under attack in Britian - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Interesting post on The Examiner about whether or not the government should be advising a specific parenting approach. 

Helen Reece, an expert in family law, published a study and says this approach sets parents up to fail.

Quote:

The study calls into question the wisdom of adopting a government-wide policy on child-rearing at all, regardless of what that policy may be. Although parents certainly should feel they can draw from experts who deal with children every day, including family lawyers, child psychologists, teachers, and others, a government policy on how to raise children risks putting too much emphasis on one method and encouraging parents to stop looking at others.

When it comes to raising children, the fact is that there is not one method that is effective for all children. Children are not robots. They are born with their own individual characteristics and personalities, and two children raised by the same parents in the same way often turn out vastly different. The best way to approach parenting is with a mind that is open to various techniques and especially with a heart that is open to finding what each individual child needs and responding accordingly.

I agree that the best thing to do is to attune to your child and do your best to meet their needs in the best way for them. 

What do you think about the 'positive parenting' approach? Do you think it only works for some kids? Do you think a government should encourage a very specific style of parenting?

You can read the full article here.

#2 of 2 Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have nothing against the positive parenting approach and plan on using many aspects of it as my daughter grows. However, if something isn't working and another tactic seems better for us, that's what I'll be going.

And no, I don't think a government should be  promoting one specific type of parenting.  Then again, I'm a Libertarian.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom

Tags
News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page