American Way of Birth, Costliest in the World - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just read this article in the New York TImes.  Does costlier mean better? Not really. 

Quote:
And though maternity care costs far less in other developed countries than it does in the United States, studies show that their citizens do not have less access to care or to high-tech care during pregnancy than Americans.

Quote:
Despite its lavish spending, the United States has one of the highest rates of both infant and maternal death among industrialized nations, although the fact that poor and uninsured women and those whose insurance does not cover childbirth have trouble getting or paying for prenatal care contributes to those figures.

This article has some great (and very depressing) statistics. Read the whole thing over on NYTimes.com

#2 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM

I saw that yesterday, I didn't realize so few plans lacked maternity care. I understand why they couldn't quote a "price" for birth - my friends have told me that a one day in-and-out l&d, no epidural is about $3,000 at our hospital. With my high risk pregnancy and a complicated delivery it was closer to $15,000. And if you need to take the helicopter up to the NICU? Yowza, then you're already tipping $100,000 (if you don't have helicopter insurance). Medical care is expensive, you hope you don't need too much of it. :(

(a note on the stats, to cut down on the scare element: the US is also the only industrialized nation that does not factor home birth into their stats, they are not reported. So all the healthy babies born at home aren't counted in our favor, but all the emergency trips to the hospital are counted against, which does skew our overall stats)

mama Adhiambo likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathlin View Post

(a note on the stats, to cut down on the scare element: the US is also the only industrialized nation that does not factor home birth into their stats, they are not reported. So all the healthy babies born at home aren't counted in our favor, but all the emergency trips to the hospital are counted against, which does skew our overall stats)

Where did you hear that the U.S. doesn't include homebirth in their stats?  I know they get counted in maternal and infant mortality.

Even if we don't count those births, homebirth accounts for (IIRC) less then 1% of births in the U.S., so even if we assume 100% good outcomes for those, it doesn't really help our stats.

#4 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

Where did you hear that the U.S. doesn't include homebirth in their stats?  I know they get counted in maternal and infant mortality.

Even if we don't count those births, homebirth accounts for (IIRC) less then 1% of births in the U.S., so even if we assume 100% good outcomes for those, it doesn't really help our stats.
From the midwives that helped me with my Hyperemesis pregnancy.
#5 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 01:54 PM

All I know is that when I didn't make it to our originally planned hospital destination, and we had to stop into another closer hospital. Between me showing up at the ER doors and delivering my son it was a total of 20 minutes. They were unable to start an IV, and I had no interventions. The cost for the delivery alone between the doc and the hospital was over 5000. This did not count the additional money my 24hr required stay. Everyone where I delivered was wonderful, but if I end up having another baby I will be strongly considering homebirth. Homebirth was not an option with this one because it was a VBAC. I have heard though that it can be more expensive out of pocket to homebirth in the US because insurance won't cover any of the cost of the care.

#6 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 PM

I too delivered at a hospital, 20 minutes after walking in the door, no interventions besides some Doppler during pushing and some stitches by the midwife afterward. No nursery, no meals, no meds for me or baby, no overnight, left within a few hours of arrival....$8,500.

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page