San Francisco may be the first city in the US to adopt a flexible work schedule for parents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Podcast summary: 
Five months after Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer banned employees from working from home, San Francisco Supervisor David Chiu is proposing a family-friendly workplace rule that he says would help families balance work and home life. Employees who are parents and caregivers could request a flexible work schedule, including job sharing, telecommuting, or part-time employment. But business owners and other critics say the government shouldn't intrude on how they run their companies. Should San Francisco be the first city in the nation to enact a flexible work provision?

Listen to the entire discussion here: http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201307100930

What do you think of supervisor David Chiu's idea? 

Staff Note: Would you like to leave a comment on this thread? Only Mothering Members can post - and you can become one too! We offer easy Facebook Connect and new account registration. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In Australia, this workplace type of policy (for employees with school aged or younger children) became legislation in 2009.  We have one the most robust economies in the western world, so we must be doing something right! Studies have indicated that this model works well for both employee and employer.  If you want to attract talent as one of your most important resources, then the competitive landscape will dictate that the workplace that offers a flexible work schedule is going to be more attractive to the one that doesn't.  In the 20+ years I have been working, I have experienced both regimented/standard non flexible working practices and later, in the public sector, I have worked under a flexible policy, and I know which one I prefer!  Critics of this type of policy fail to understand the benefits to their bottom line - a happy, respected employee (i.e. one with work/life balance) is a productive one.  I feel dismayed when large corporations like Yahoo make blanket policies changes such as the recent banning of working from home arrangements as it sends the wrong message to other employers that this is considered to be best practice.  It's a retro approach and if absenteeism and productivity is an issue, then it should be addressed as an entirely separate issue, rather than a blanket banning that hurts the individuals who need it most.   David Chiu's initiative is to be commended and applauded, because the rights of individuals to be able to care for their family should be mandated in legislation, so that employees are enabled and protected when they request flexibility in how they manage their work commitments.  

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment/flexible-working-arrangements/pages/default.aspx

http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/the-flexible-workplace-myth-20130716-2q1uz.html

Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I think this would a great thing. Unfortuantely we live in a place where we decide if we want to have kids or not based on where we are in our career. How awful is that? Surely we can continue to climb the corporate ladder without having to sacrifice our desire for family. I say, go for it. Happy workers are productive workers.

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Baby Boy born 11/4/2014 at 33 weeks and 1 day - Atlanta, GA

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com

Tags
News
User Tag List