Modern parenting may hinder brain development, research shows - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is an article from Notre Dame about how typical American style parenting that stresses independance, sleeping alone, sleep training, etc., is bad for babies.

http://research.nd.edu/news/36692-modern-parenting-may-hinder-brain-development-research-shows/

Here's a bit of the article:
Quote:
“Ill-advised practices and beliefs have become commonplace in our culture, such as the use of infant formula, the isolation of infants in their own rooms or the belief that responding too quickly to a fussing baby will ‘spoil’ it,” Narvaez says.

This new research links certain early, nurturing parenting practices — the kind common in foraging hunter-gatherer societies — to specific, healthy emotional outcomes in adulthood, and has many experts rethinking some of our modern, cultural child-rearing “norms.”

What do you think? Do you think this research will make AP more popular and sleep training less popular?
#2 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

No, I think one study will not make much of a difference. I think there would have to be quite a few and the media would need to get in on it. Without popular baby books, like What to Expect, and other sources talking more positively about AP, the more mainstream parents are not going to find out about it, or even be interested.

I'm glad for the study though. joy.gif

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#3 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

The article has really no specifics - I wonder how badly they had to slant the research to get that attention-grabbing headline, and what the underlying research actually found.  (Also?  While we love to talk about AP has roots in the parenting practices of traditional hunter/gatherer foraging societies, we don't look at the way those people actually parent.  Not all of it is as lovely as it sounds from here.)

I think major changes in social support for children and families would increase uptake of a lot of good things, but as long as parents are financially stressed, and there is no paid parental leave, parents will have to make economic choices that affect their children, like opting for formula instead of breast milk, or letting the baby cry because they have to sleep to be able to work. 

Darcia Narvaez has a long history of being super judgey about modern parenting practices, without offering practical solutions or considering the challenges parents actually face.  I'm not excited to see her doing it some more.

Tags
News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page