Do Home Births Lead to More Stillborn Babies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the article:
There were no complications, none for me, none for the baby and my pregnancy had been equally uneventful. But this experience is the scariest thing that's ever happened to me. Particularly this part: When Estelle was born, she didn't move right away. Like all babies, she was all wrinkly but this one was pretty blue. Our doctor rubbed her back and in the silence had enough time to say, "Come on! Come on!" The she breathed, then she cried, and I did the same. And in those moments I had one thought: THIS is why I wanted to be in a clinic! But in the end, everything worked out fine. Scary, but fine. 

Read the rest here: http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/home-births-lead-more-stillborn-babies-study-says-162500236.html

What do you think? 

#2 of 3 Old 10-05-2013, 01:27 PM

To answer your post title question, no, home births have not been linked with more stillbirths and in fact home birth has been considered safer than the hospital in a lot of cases. Home birth is not for everyone and the choice on where to have your baby is one that should be considered very carefully and thoroughly. I didn't go on to read the rest of the article but the excerpt is all I need to see in this particular case.

My firstborn was as blue as blue could be when he was born, from head to toe, he was even asleep. It took about 2 minutes of stimulation to get him to make some noise but he never cried, that just wasn't his personality. I had him in the hospital and I know for a fact that it was the Demerol I was given and being stuck in bed in one position that caused it.

Had I known back in 2006 that I had a choice and that there was a safer, better way I'd have opted in. If I'd have has access to more information I probably would have an experience that I could look back on with pride instead of humility and humor. Maybe the obvious lack of oxygen is one of the reasons he now has behavioral issues and learning disability? I may never know but I had my last 2 children out of hospital and although I couldn't afford a home birth I would have loved the opportunity. I was especially considering unassisted childbirth but my husband wasn't comfortable with it. 

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 3 Old 10-05-2013, 01:32 PM

In the studies I read, the risk of neonatal death in homebirths is three times higher than in hospital births.

Absolute numbers are low in either case, of course. 

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page