What's the Value of a SAHM? Career Site Puts Real Dollar Value on the Work of Stay-at-Home Parents - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-29-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Feeling undervalued as a SAHM (or SAHD?)

For 13 years Salary.com, a leading career site, has taken the time to interview thousands of parents and crunch the numbers to come up with a real world estimate for what a stay-at-home parent's work would be worth in today's market. 

They've calculated estimates for women who are full-time SAHMs and those who work outside the home as well.  Do you agree with this breakdown? What would you change/add? 

#2 of 3 Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The thing I would change/add is the comparison between parents and what we choose to do within our own family. While I appreciate the sentiment...it's not necessary. working parents and stay at home parents are equals and we all have our place in this world and majority of us care for our kids in ways that we can. Then again this is coming from a place of happiness, support, and the daily acknowledgment/appreciation of what I do.Some people might not have it as good and have to deal with major ignorance/hate from their significant others, family, or friends. 

If thats the case then they should take a good hard look at it and show it to others

tracyamber likes this.

Wife, mom of 3, obsessed with photography, crafting and blogging http://annleaartsy.blogspot.com/
#3 of 3 Old 05-26-2014, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm... I don't think moms do any of those things the same way a paid counterpart would. I've been a 'computer operator', and it's quite a bit more demanding than surfing the internet at home. The same goes for housekeeper, janitor, etc... These are things you can CHOOSE to do with your time at home. Some people don't value housework, and put minimal effort into it (not that this is necessarily a bad thing). If you are a paid housecleaner (and I have employed them before), you are expected to mop floors and clean toilets at a set time and place. Someone in their own home can choose to delay or forgoe any household tasks at any time (i.e., the toilets can wait till tomorrow). When people choose to clean their homes, they are investing in the market value of their own home. Same thing with cooking.....you are investing in the health and nourishment of the family. My mom is a clinical psychologist. I don't think it is fair to compare a parent/child relationship with that of a qualified/trained therapist.

Anyway, this is just my 2 cents. I do think that women work very hard and are undervalued, but I don't think the graph is a very accurate representation of the value that mothers add to society. If we valued children/mothers as a whole, and all of the investing and tasks that go into raising children, maybe we would have a better, more equitable system.
mamapigeon likes this.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page