20/20 to air segment about "Extreme Nursing" - Mothering Forums
1 2  3 
Child-Led Weaning > 20/20 to air segment about "Extreme Nursing"
ap mom's Avatar ap mom 12:27 PM 12-10-2008
It looks like 20/20 will air a segment about "extreme nursing" this Friday. If you follow this link, you can watch a promo video about it. The woman they've interviewed is nursing her 6 year-old.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6120045&page=1

There will also be a segment on "Orgasmic Births" that night.

readytobedone's Avatar readytobedone 07:21 PM 12-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap mom View Post
It looks like 20/20 will air a segment about "extreme nursing" this Friday. If you follow this link, you can watch a promo video about it. The woman they've interviewed is nursing her 6 year-old.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6120045&page=1

There will also be a segment on "Orgasmic Births" that night.
wow. i can't decide whether to : or :

i'd like to hope that the show gives EBF/CLW some even-handed publicity and normalizes it a bit. but i fear what's more likely is we're going to look like a freak show.

we'll see, i guess! i plan to watch. thanks for the link!
Swan3's Avatar Swan3 07:45 PM 12-10-2008
I'm a little pessimistic when I see that they would look to emphasize "extremeness" and "when to stop"...
MoonWillow's Avatar MoonWillow 07:48 PM 12-10-2008
I think the fact that they are referring to nursing as extreme isn't the best sign of unbiased coverage.
2pinks's Avatar 2pinks 08:08 PM 12-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
I think the fact that they are referring to nursing as extreme isn't the best sign of unbiased coverage.
My thoughts exactly!
Meredith&Alexander's Avatar Meredith&Alexander 08:44 PM 12-10-2008
Ugh. Color me not excited at being portrayed (by proxy, at least) as the freak of the week.
AuntLavender's Avatar AuntLavender 09:32 PM 12-10-2008
So I don't want to watch it! (He's special needs and more like 2 1/2 but I digress...)

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 12, 10, 9, and 5 1/2
onyxravnos's Avatar onyxravnos 09:45 PM 12-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan3 View Post
I'm a little pessimistic when I see that they would look to emphasize "extremeness" and "when to stop"...
:
I rather think it will be like Dr Phils "homebirth" show...
naturalness and bonding don't make for good TV
kacymoose's Avatar kacymoose 11:39 PM 12-10-2008
I wrote them like 3 years ago and asked them to do a story on EN. Guess they finally listened to me. Just kidding, like they even read my letter.

I wonder if my in-laws will watch. They are significantly freaked out that we are still nursing. The preview didn't look too bad, but if they are going to get some kind of "expert" on there as a rebuttal.
Lovenest's Avatar Lovenest 12:39 AM 12-12-2008
The link takes me to the Childbirth page not nursing.
Anyone have a link?

Update-

Okay found it:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6427971

The mom and lil kiddo are so sweet! I will be watching this for sure.
My son is 6 and still nursing!
tinyblackdot's Avatar tinyblackdot 12:44 AM 12-12-2008
I don't see it......
JamesMama's Avatar JamesMama 01:02 AM 12-12-2008
Judging how the reporter makes a OMG YOU FREAK face half a dozen times in the interview and emphasises how 'some people say...' TEETH!! TALKING!! STOP!!! I'm not betting on this being tilted in our favor.

My son weaned at just over 2 years when I was pregnant with my DD. My dd is still going strong!
1littlebit's Avatar 1littlebit 01:16 AM 12-12-2008
one day they will realize its not that extreme... not nursing at all is more extreme for sure.... by world standards at least wouldn't you think?
mysticmomma's Avatar mysticmomma 12:56 PM 12-12-2008
See, I saw the thread title and thought nursing while skydiving or something.
serenekitten's Avatar serenekitten 01:36 PM 12-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Call me young, but when I hear "extreme" I think motocross and skateboarding.

So unless the mothers are breastfeeding on motorcycles or skateboards, I'll be terribly disappointed.
MaryJaneLouise's Avatar MaryJaneLouise 03:53 PM 12-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Or at least while doing yoga

That was a sweet mama / boy picture story
Treasuremapper's Avatar Treasuremapper 04:29 PM 12-12-2008
I get a page about orgasmic birth. Am I at the wrong linky?
Lovenest's Avatar Lovenest 06:17 PM 12-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
I get a page about orgasmic birth. Am I at the wrong linky?
Here ya go:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6427971
ap mom's Avatar ap mom 01:14 AM 12-13-2008
It looks like this may be bumped for the Caylee Anthony story. I see that the "Orgasmic Birth" segment is now set to air on Jan 2 but I haven't found anything on "Extreme Nursing" yet.

on the nursing while skydiving comments, btw!
momma2libby's Avatar momma2libby 03:39 AM 12-13-2008
I don't have ABC...so those of you with it please keep us who don't have it updated. I'm interested in seeing this. I wonder if they are going to post the show online?
Lisa85's Avatar Lisa85 03:45 AM 12-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap mom View Post
It looks like this may be bumped for the Caylee Anthony story. I see that the "Orgasmic Birth" segment is now set to air on Jan 2 but I haven't found anything on "Extreme Nursing" yet.

on the nursing while skydiving comments, btw!
Awesome, I had to work tonight and thought I would miss 'Orgasmic Birth'. Hopefully will have the 2nd off so I can see it.
urchin_grey's Avatar urchin_grey 03:57 AM 12-13-2008
Awww.

I've never seen anyone nurse a child that old IRL, but it didn't seem weird at all to me... He still seemed so little!
prescottchels's Avatar prescottchels 04:41 AM 12-13-2008
I'd love to see the full length version if anyone comes up w/a link for it. I watched the trailer and not finding the full version I ended up watching the segments (3 of them) about the man who gives birth to his own baby-wowsers!
Lovenest's Avatar Lovenest 02:39 AM 12-14-2008
I watched last night and it was not on?
Anyone know when it will be?
Meredith&Alexander's Avatar Meredith&Alexander 03:26 AM 12-14-2008
The Orgasmic Birth story shows it airing January 2. But I'm sure that depends on if it gets bumped again.
mom2threenurslings's Avatar mom2threenurslings 12:10 AM 12-16-2008
I hope I can catch it if/when it's on - if anyone hears anything, keep us posted!

Whenever I hear "Extreme Nursing" I think of someone doing some "extreme" sport while nursing.

Whenever I hear "Extended Nursing/Breastfeeding" I think of the times when the nursling turns their head to see what's going on and tries to take the nipple with them.

I think words are important when talking about things, including breastfeeding. "Extended breastfeeding" makes it seem like you're nursing past some normal cut-off point and "extreme breastfeeding" makes it sound like you're nursing while hangliding or something. How about a story on "premature weaning"?
Blu Razzberri's Avatar Blu Razzberri 06:54 AM 12-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings View Post
...Whenever I hear "Extended Nursing/Breastfeeding" I think of the times when the nursling turns their head to see what's going on and tries to take the nipple with them....

mama2jack's Avatar mama2jack 05:56 PM 12-20-2008
While I can't stand the title Extreme breastfeeding, or the opening to the segment. I think that that mom is AWESOME! She seemed so comfortableand her little guy was so sweet. I think they will be a good example to portray.
rivkah's Avatar rivkah 02:20 PM 12-23-2008
I just watched the intro. I actually thought it was fine. The reporter seemed perfectly comfortable talking to the little boy, and the mom was not "weird-seeming" at all. Other people obviously had a different reaction to the reporter, but I thought she was kind and open. Her job is to do an interview, and she just asked perfectly valid questions. She just basically said it worked for her and she wouldn't push it on anyone else. The kids seemed normal. The little boy seemed really little, so I think the strangeness factor was pretty low.
a(TM)?Star's Avatar a(TM)?Star 03:46 PM 12-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
I sadly agree.
1 2  3 

Up