I "gave it a try" for 3 months and now it's been 10 years! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest child turned 10 on Monday. The past ten years have flown by! I remember the first time he nursed - how unsure of myself I was. Scared that it was going to be physically and/or emotionally painfuly for me. And then I looked into his eyes and experienced Bliss. We struggled with latch problems and thrush for the first 6 weeks. When I made it to the 3 month mark, I changed my expectations to 6 months. Then a year. Then all of a sudden I was pregnant and nursing, then tandem nursing, then tandem nursing through pregnancy and triandem nursing. Then he self-weaned on his fifth birthday. Then another pregnancy and more triandem nursing. Then another pregnancy, triandem nursing and pregnant ... my second child naturally weaning just shy of his seventh birthday. And here I am, triandem nursing for the third time - with five children from 10 years old to 10 months old and I've been nursing for 10 years straight. I find it amazing that I've come so far and that this breastfeeding journey, that I was at first so unsure of, has been wonderful, blissful, amusing, and too amazing to do it justice with words.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 03:06 PM

WOW that is amazing! Go you!!! ::
Old 12-24-2008, 03:09 PM

That is absolutely amazing! You are amazing to me!!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
Old 12-24-2008, 04:21 PM

congratulations! thanks for sharing your story!

--Heather
Old 12-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That's amazing! :

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 12-24-2008, 04:58 PM

yeah, just amazing!!!!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 PM

(one for each year!)

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 PM

Mama, you rock!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 12-25-2008, 12:03 AM

Wonderful, Mama, wonderful. You, however, aleady know that(and so do your kids).

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
Old 12-25-2008, 01:08 AM

Amazing. Just amazing.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:44 AM

My goal is always 2 winters, bc I read that it lowers rick for RSV. But 7 yrs for one babe!!!!! Tandem and peggos!!! Awesome. I lost track, what was the most tandem nursing at once?

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Old 12-26-2008, 08:41 AM

So, you're still nursing your oldest at 10 years old?
Old 12-26-2008, 05:18 PM

hoa mama! You are amazing!:
I am still nursing my 6 year old son, and it is truly amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollicup View Post
So, you're still nursing your oldest at 10 years old?
From what I see:

Quote:
Then he self-weaned on his fifth birthday.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

My oldest self-weaned on his fifth birthday, but I've been nursing at least one child (mostly 2 or 3 children) since Dec. 22, 1998. The most I've nursed concurrently is 3 - I did triandem nurse during my last pregnancy, but the oldest nursling at the time self-weaned during pregnancy. I'm now nursing my 6.5 year old dd, my 3 year old ds and my 10 month old dd.

Thanks, Mamas!!! :

I look back and remember how scared I was to try breastfeeding and my views on it during my pregnancy with ds1 ... I only breastfeed because my dh wanted me to. At the time, I thought that a 6 month old baby was kind of old to be breastfeeding and definitely not a 1 year old. Who knew that five years later I'd be celebrating that child's weaning day?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:18 PM

Opps - got sidetracked and forgot to say ::: that's awesome mom2threenurslings!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings View Post
Why am I still breastfeeding my 6 year old?
Because she still has the need to nurse and isn't yet ready to wean. Because it's a wonderful way to reconnect with my very independent daughter. Because it's normal and natural and I couldn't imagine forcing her to stop before she's ready.

Perhaps you should read up more on child-led weaning and the average natural age of weaning in humans (between 3 and 7 years of age). "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" by Norma Jane Bumgarner and "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower are great resources, as is kellymom.com.

Nursing a child of any age is for their benefit (you can't force a child to nurse). Breastmilk never loses nutritional value, and still contains all the antibodies and other benefits no matter what the age of the nursling. I don't find it at all annoying at all...in fact it continues to be as special as it was when I was nursing her as a newborn - just different!
congratulations on a very diplomatic answer, mama and also on nursing and nursing and nursing! my 7y11m old last nursed on...i think it was 12/9 this year. he may be weaned. i am recording each of the days now, because i want to make sure he's absolutely done before i get my commemorative tattoo

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 12-27-2008, 08:46 AM

You.Go.Girl!!!!!

Wife to G, mommy to dd1 (99), dd2 (07), dd3 (09)
Three beautiful girls. How did I get so very lucky?:
Old 12-27-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsmm View Post
Who says it "should be" for babies and toddlers?

Nursing is not just about nutrition.

I think when you know the kids you realize that these are normal, healthy kids who just happen to nurse sometimes.
:
it's a mind shift, here in this country. you have to take the "sucking boobs" part out of the equation. because it's not sexual, and that's how people think here, unfortunately. especially when the child is "older". they are still children, and for some reason, some need to nurse longer. of course by that time it's mostly about comfort, but who knows what other needs they have.
the fun part about having an older nursling is they can tell you all sorts of stuff that you'd never know from a child who can't yet talk, or who can't articulate enough.
plus, like the PP said, there are no "shoulds". there are cultural norms, but those aren't shoulds, and they aren't necessarily correct. it's all individual.
the worldwide average age for weaning is 4.2 *years*. and it's "developed" nations such as ours and the UK, who wean our children ultra early, that bring that average *down*!
Kathryn Dettwyler is an anthropologist who has done a ton of research about breastfeeding worldwide. google her and check out her website. it's fascinating! i think the oldest recorded nursling is 9 or 10, even. mine's nearly 8 and he nursed a couple of weeks ago. by this time it really is every couple weeks and only for a minute or so, total. weaning is like growing-- slowly, slowly, slowly. they taper off, and taper off, and taper off, till you both realize it's been forever since they nursed and it's done. they're weaned. i'm glad i let my son self-wean. nobody was forced to stop doing something that is mutually beneficial, and it's been good.

HTH

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Congrats, Amanda! I have such respect and awe for you.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is a support forum and not a debate forum. No one posting here should feel the need to defend CLW. Therefore, I have removed several posts and the replies, well-thought out though they were.

If a member is interested in learning more about child-led weaning or extended nursing, they are certainly free to start a thread, either here or in the Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy forum, provided that thread helps maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere for our members.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Wow...That is all I can say. I am in awe of you. Those children of yours are so blessed to have such a wonderful, strong and nurturing Mama like you. I can only aspire to have the nursing relationship you have with your children, with my own son.

I am so thankful to come on here and get support for breastfeeding. No one in my life breastfeeds currently, and those who have bf only did for a short amount of time. I have learned so much through all the stories here, and have gotten enough encouragent to know that it is normal and healthy to keep on nursing until he is ready to be weaned.

Thanks for being an inspiration Mama (and all the others on here)!!! Congrats on 10 years!!! :

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Old 12-27-2008, 04:11 PM

What an accomplishment! Great job on "giving it a try!"

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 12-28-2008, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats! I remember reading your posts when you only had 3 children and was surprised to see you now have five! I have been nursing for over 6 years myself. My son wasn't breastfed but my oldest daughter nursed until she was 5 and that included 21 months of tandem nursing. My youngest daughter is now almost 3 and still going strong. If she goes to 5 years as well it will be a total of 8 years straight. We are done having kids so I'm not going to catch up to you! LOL

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 12-28-2008, 03:36 PM

Wow, amazing job!! I am in absolute awe!!

I never got to tandem nurse--my two nurslings weaned during my subsequent pregnancy. All together I get 8 years and a bit... my youngest is still nursing at 3 years 4 months, and I hope he goes for a bit longer.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! It's funny because it's a normal (yet still very special) part of my day to be nursing children. I feel very blessed to have spent the last 10 years nursing children and look forward to a few more years before my youngest weans.

A friend asked me how long it would be if I took each child individually ... 22.5 years and counting!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:16 PM

good job mama!

my dd will be 6 in a month and a half, and i *think* she is finsihed nursing now

you probably know how that goes. ds was just over 5 when he weaned for good.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 01-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Wow! You should write a book! You are an inspiration...
Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

There are a few quotes from me and my "mother's story" (from when I had only 3 kids and was triandem nursing for the firest time) and even a tiny picture of me tandem nursing in the "perch" position in Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hilary Flower.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:18 AM

my eyes are brimming with tears I'm so happy to have read your post
Old 01-10-2009, 05:56 PM

Awesome Awesome Awesome. How encouraging!

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

User Tag List