DS resorted to thumb sucking all of a sudden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds is 5 years 9 months old, he weaned at 5 years 5 months all on his own.
All of a sudden he has been sucking his thumb which he never, ever did before.
No paci's no thumb, bottle, ever. I thought it would go three weeks like most of his things do so I over looked it. I haven't said anything to him or really acknowledged it. He seems to do it more when he is sitting by himself watching t.v. or sitting quietly. We co-sleep and he doesn't seem to do it at bed time. DH said it is getting hard not to say something to ds but since we aren't sure why he is doing it we thought we would let ds be. ds is a very emotional child, his highs are hi and his lows are low.
He has had a hard time with some friends on our park days lately and I wonder if this has anything to do with it. He is the youngest of the group of homeschoolers and sometimes the older ones exclude him.
My Question is: Has any one had this start up with their weanling?, or do you think it could be from the stress at the park? Or will it pass?
I don't believe in rubbing anything on his thumb at all and I don't want him to feel that what he is doing is awful. I just was hoping some one will say that it too shall pass..??/ any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 AM

My daughter doesn't do it much, but has had times where she sucks her thumb. I had a lot of feelings about seeing her sucking her thumb.

Here's what I realized -- I felt worried that other people might think she was feeling insecure or scared and that that somehow they would think we weren't giving her everything she needed.

I realized that once I let go of that and just saw it as something I could be proud of (she's taking care of her own needs! what a big girl!), even, it was so much easier to see.

I have no idea if you're having these feelings, too. But I do know I was wondering how long the thumb sucking would last. It helped me to figure out why I wanted it to stop. :-)
#3 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 01:45 PM

It sounds like he is trying to find ways to self-soothe. That is a good thing. Perhaps something is upsetting him with the playgroup or perhaps he is bringing himself back to his most recent comfort zone to find that sense of peace (sucking). If you are concerned about it, why not spend time with him in finding alternative methods of self soothing (try teaching him yoga for children, breathing work, meditation for children, etc). He may not have enough 'tools' yet besides the tool of sucking to calm/soothe himself or to ground himself.
#4 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

You both touched exactly was I was feeling and it's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I do feel that it is way to find something for his own and it is a familiar comfort in a way. I think he would love yoga! I have been trying to find ways to help him calm himself without pushing him from feeling his emotions.
Thanks!::
#5 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 05:54 PM

Aw, glad to help you gain some insight mama There is a great yoga kids dvd that I tried with my son if you are interested I can go fishing for the title. He loved it! I have been wanting to buy this poster from amazon (of various yoga positions with feelings associated with it) and create a 'calming center' in our home for my son to use when he feels out of control. Good luck with your son's transition!
#6 of 6 Old 01-25-2009, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

A poster sounds great!, I had one for EFT. I am going to look for one of those too!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page