Mothering Forum banner

Tandem nursing/pg question

721 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ScarletBegonias 
#1 ·
I put this here, because I figured you gals would have the most experience with nursing through pregnancy.

I've had 8 m/c and tend to not think of myself as pregnant until we hear a heart beat (or I start vomitting everyday). My best guess puts me at 7 weeks.

My 10/04 DD is still nursing several times a week, and my 2/07 DS is reverting back to nursing like a newborn. He has begun to nurse a lot at night, which I am trying to divert by putting him in bed with dad, nursing more during the day, and letting him nurse longer at night before I get out of the bed. I'm also focusing on meeting his emotional needs during the day with more quality and quantity, and there is very little pressure surrounding this "night weaning" if you can call it that.

Moving on. I am about 75 pounds overweight, and with DS and DD I lost about 40 pounds while pg due to HG. So far, I'm slightly nauseas and set off by smells, but no vomitting yet. I am PROFOUNDLY hungry most of the day. Usually it comes in waves and if I don't eat right that second, I feel like I will DIE!!!! Then I usually eat for about an hour. That sounds like a lot, but it's probably the amount a normal person would eat in a meal, but it just takes me a long time. I have a long complicated history with food, eating disorders, addictions, etc.

For example, today I woke up at 8am and had 4 pieces of cinnamon toast and 1L of water. Then at about 2pm I had about 6 small pieces of peperoni pizza (I couldn't stop, the peperoni's were so crunchy and yummy and I can't stand meat when PG). Then around 6pm, I had a big salad, 4 servings of brocolli, and more pizza! In calories I probably hit 1800 today.

Thing is, I still feel pretty weak and hungry. I also dehydrate VERY easily.

More to point. I'm looking for suggestions on high bang for buck food items. I mean in terms of protein, fluid and vits/mins/fiber.

I don't really do meat pregnant. I like eggs, but no soy. very little dairy. Too cold for smoothies.

I'm trying to drink water and pg tea, but can't seem to stomach getting the liquids down... unless it's diet coke
: and then I could drink a 2 liter.

HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
Quinoa comes in many forms, including pasta, and is high in protein and fiber. Ground flax seed added to anything instantly increases the nutritional value - lots of omega 3's in there!
: I am 17 weeks with my 2nd and just stopped puking two weeks ago so I was trying to eat as well as I could just in case I could actually hold something down! My son weaned himself a few weeks ago at 17 months but I am hoping his interest in nursing will resume when the new baby comes! Good luck!

#3 ·
A couple of my faves: mixed nuts- you can just eat a handful here and there to tide over your hunger, they're packed with vits, protein, and "good fat."
For staying hydrated I like to drink diluted fruit juice- apple and grape and combination juices containing them seem to taste the best diluted. about 50% juice to water. It helps to give some flavor without tons of calories.
Eggs- these can go 100s of ways. boiled, fried, scrambled, quiches, casseroles....... They're a good nutrient-dense protein source.
HTH a little!
Good luck!

#4 ·
avocados are a great, quick and cheap source of protein and flavor. dh likes to cut one in half, add salt & pepper and a small dallop of dressing for extra flavor.

beans are also very nutritious and if made well, can be extremely flavorful and satisfying. i cook a pot of beans almost every week and is great for making some quick nachos, a burrito etc.,. i personally love good homemade beans so much that i happily can eat a bowl of them everyday! a friend who owns an authentic mexican restaurant told me that you must mash the beans some to release their flavor.

happyhelpmate had a great suggestion about diluting juice. another good drink to try is emergenc. it gives you that fizziness of soda, with little sugar and a dose of vitamins. i also LOVED crystal geyser sparkling fruit flavored mineral water while pg. it's cheap (about the price of soda), and comes in berry, lemon, mandarin orange and lime flavors. no sugar and no bad stuff!

we also love fried eggs around here! if you cook them right, they are full of flavor and nutrition. fast too!

almonds are a really good snack to help with nausea and heartburn.

take good care mama! i'm sending you sticky baby vibes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.