She's weaned! Now what? Looking for a right of passage. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas!

My eldest daughter seems to have weaned. She announced a few nights ago "Mama, I think I weaned myself." This came after her not nursing for over 2 weeks. I hadn't mentioned it to her because I didn't want her to feel pressure either way. After pointing out that she had weaned she asked to nurse before bed the following night. I said yes but she never did. It must be over.

She will be 6 in August and I can't imagine that she will not remember nursing for the rest of her life. I would like to mark this moment in a symbolic but low key kind of a way. I would really like to give her something that she can keep a a memento of our time together nursing.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can give her or do for her to mark this passage in her life?

Mama to 3 lovely home learning, nature loving girls read.gif(10), fairy.gif(7), fly-by-nursing1.gif (3).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 03:16 AM

Congrats. What a beautiful gift you gave your DD and how happy and proud she sounds. I can totally understand your desire to have something to commemerate this important (and long ) time.

Have you talked to DD about it? For my DD (she was 4) it was important to spend time with me alone (DS was only 18 months at the time, so we didn't get a lot of alone time together). We went to Build A Bear and made stuffed pigs together. Her choice.

For DS he didn't really want a party or anything (I had planned on celebrating big with him, lol). Instead we got him a video game that he had wanted but I considered too violent Not the best move ever, but definately something he understood to mean he was growing up.

Have you asked DD if she would like to celebrate? There is some beautiful jewelry out there, cute party ideas, etc...

I just wanted to say : CONGRATS!

#3 of 9 Old 05-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Congrats::: for the two of you.

Could be a good idea to have a day, once a year for mother-daughter to have a little celebration. You can go her favorite restaurant or some other activity that you share.
With the time the would be the mother and daughter day... same day of weaning

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#4 of 9 Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 AM

I agree that it's important to mark this kind of milestone in both your lives. I weaned at 6 and my parents gave me a weaning party. Although I do not remember nursing (amazingly), I carry with me the feeling of being loved and accepted and allowed to grow at my own pace. And now that my daughter is weaning at almost 4 1/2, I bought her a bead necklace that she chose and we'll have a party because she's asking for one. I toyed with the idea of buying her a necklace with a meaningful charm on it (mother/child or a nursing pendant) but then realized that she loses things at this age and it was more about her choosing the necklace when she was ready to officially decide to wean.

Good luck, if you come up with any ideas, please share them!

L
#5 of 9 Old 05-17-2009, 12:41 AM

My son nursed until he was 6 and he remembers. He used to say it was better than pizza!

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#6 of 9 Old 05-17-2009, 01:41 AM

I think these necklaces are beautiful, maybe you could each have one and you could save her's until she is older. I also like the idea of celebrating it as a sort of anniversary every year and making it a special day for just the two of you.
#7 of 9 Old 05-17-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal View Post
I think these necklaces are beautiful, maybe you could each have one and you could save her's until she is older. I also like the idea of celebrating it as a sort of anniversary every year and making it a special day for just the two of you.
Those are SO cool!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#8 of 9 Old 05-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

What about the starting a string of pearls. you put a new pearl on the string for all special life events to represent those events. That could be her first one - to represtent the time you spent nursing together. Every time she gets a new pearl she will remember all the ones before I'm sure, including the one for nursing.

http://addapearl.com/

I'm sure you can also come up with a less costly, similar idea as well.
#9 of 9 Old 05-19-2009, 12:16 AM

I got dd this

for her weaning party (she self-weaned at 4)
I went shopping with her and we bought a new dress that she could choose (normally we only go to the thrift store, so this was extra special.)

We had cake and balloons and danced to the bagpipes of a friend.
All the guests drew something on a white T-shirt to mark the day.
DD has fond memories of her weaning party.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page