How do you see this? Ignore, or tell my mom to shut it. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 31 Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
There are a number of factors here.

One, as others have stated, being ready to spend the night at grandma's is different from being ready to wean. Some kids are ready for a night at grandma's before weaning. Others may wean before they're ready for a night at grandma's- especially if grandma isn't particularly nurturing.

Secondly, your mother and sister are being manipulative and disrespectful to both you and your DD. Those little comments, in your DD's earshot, can be very damaging to your nursing relationship. The only time such comments would be appropriate is if YOU initiated the weaning and asked for their support/assistance in making it smooth for DD.

If your mom was repeatedly making snide comments about weaning on the phone or in emails, I might say to ignore it. But when it happens in front of DD, it crosses a boundary. I'd suggest practicing what to say, so the next time your mom makes "one little comment" about weaning, you already know what to say, and you don't let it slide. If nothing else, DD will hear Grandma's comment along with yours, and be re-assured that it's OK to keep on nursing.

I totally agree with everything in this post. My kids usually do a sleepover at my MILs around age 2.5 and that is before they wean but they are ready at that point. You shouldn't feel forced to send your child on a sleepover to appease your mother or your sister. I don't think they realize that they are being manipulative but they definitely are.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page