Is weaning something I need to read about? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is weaning something I need to read about? DD is 11 months and I really do not have a plan for when we will stop nursing, I love it! 2-3 years maybe? I would like to have more children soon, but my period has not returned yet (no I’m not pregnant). She still nurses (I guess, I don’t really keep up with it) 6-8 times a day and eats 2 meals of baby food. She nurses to eat, sleep, comfort, just to check in, etc. I figured she would wean when she is ready, but after reading some threads maybe I need to become more educated. The breastfeeding books I have just get you started. Any advice?
#2 of 5 Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Hello, ds is fifteen months old and has two weaned older siblings. His sister gradually nursed less and less as she got older until she stopped nursing altogether. I did not have to do anything at all. I did wean his brother, but that was not something I intended to do and is another story for another thread.

My short answerr is that weaning is not something you need to worry about or even think about. It is a part of life that happens on its own when the child is ready, sometimes when they are two, sometimes when they are three, sometimes when they are older.

I still don't have my period back either and that is normal and nothing to worry about. if you are thin, perhaps trying to gain some weight might bring it back sooner, but I've never done anything special and i got pregnant while i was still nursing my daughter.

hth
#3 of 5 Old 05-17-2009, 11:58 AM

DD is 13 months and I don't have AF yet. However, just in the last month she has really decreased her nursing. She's down to about 5-10 x during the day and 1-4x during the night. Have you tried switching your LO to table food? Some days, DD is eating large meals now - much more than a month ago. I haven't read anything specific about weaning (except for these boards). We are just going with the flow. Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM

You don't *need* to read anything, but you might enjoy How Weaning Happens by Diane Bengson. It's a good book on long-term nursing and gentle weaning, including child-led weaning.
#5 of 5 Old 05-18-2009, 10:32 PM

I don't think you have to read anything about weaning, unless it's something you are planning to do with your child. Both my children weaned themselves when they were ready. . .DD at 18 months (yes, it was her choice and I couldn't force her to continue) and DS when he was a little over 4 years old.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page