BFing the high needs baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else out there clw more by circumstance than by choice?

My ds has always been a major boob boy. He nursed constantly for the first 8 weeks of life, rarely sleeping or being held by anyone else. He has continued to NEED nursing a lot throughout his two years. I can't imagine how I could have weaned him had I wanted to before now. I'm still going strong and hanging in there but I'm wondering what other mamas experience has been with the high needs baby and clw. Am I in for the long haul (5 + years)

Mama, wife, labour doula and HALO labour doula instructor, fertility and maternity reflexologist, certified dancing for birth class instructor, placenta encapsulator and placenta encapsulation trainer, owner of By the Moon.

Happy hippy mama

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-01-2009, 03:53 PM

My DD was high needs, especially wrt bf'ing. She self-weaned at 5. It was hard for me b/c I was ready for her to wean long before, but I knew she was far from ready herself. My DS, OTH, recently weaned at 3.75 yrs. Each kiddo has a unique timetable. I did set some limits w/ DD though for my own sanity. Always remember that nursing is a 2 way relationship. Aknowledging that doesn't mean going against CLW. Sometimes, just giving yourself permission to meet your own needs can ease stress in CLW.
#3 of 3 Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 AM

I considered DD to be more high needs than DS (most outsiders consider them both very high needs, I think sometimes I underestimate DS' high needs status because DD had normalized so many of the behaviors). Anyway... with DD we partially night weaned (so, one 4 hour segment once a night) when she was 25 months old and I was pg with DS. I definately pushed her to cut back on nursing more than she would have had I not been pg. At 4 years, 2 months she "forgot" how to nurse and mourned for the next 15 months (she would try to nurse and get very upset that it didn't work, I know I had ample milk because DS was a toddler and there was *tons*). She stopped trying when she was about 5 years, 4 months. I think that is much closer to when she would have naturally weaned, maybe even later. DS happily weaned at 5 years, 8 months. He was allowed to night wean and his full weaning was very satisfying for him. He was very proud of being weaned and never really looked back.

I don't know if I would have been able to wean either of them earlier. I planned on CLW from pregnancy, but it was very different than I thought it would be. I had expected to still be nursing at 2 years, but I thought it would be just to sleep type thing, not the 24 hour buffet it still was with both kids And when I went to my first LLL meeting I knew I would never nurse a preschool aged child. Meanwhile, both of my children not only walked & talked before weaning, but could ride bikes & read books before weaning. I guess they were both weaned before 1st grade though. Oh, and they were late teethers, so they both had 20 teeth when they weaned (didn't loose teeth until later--- DS is 7.75 and has still only lost two teeth, DD is 10 and has lost 8).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page