How do you know... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you know when you LO has weaned? I ask because my 3yo hasn't nursed or asked to for almost a week. She's still very in love with cuddling the boobies and touching.

Could you share your stories of when your CLW weaned?

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-14-2009, 03:05 PM

When ds was around 3.5 he started cutting down a lot. At one stage he didn't ask to nurse for 2 weeks and just said no thanks when I offered. I honestly thought he'd weaned. 2 weeks after that he asked to nurse and kept on going regularly until just after he turned 4. About a month after his 4th birthday I noticed that he was starting to skip days again. Then he started to say that there was milk there, which I knew wasn't the case because I was nursing his baby sister at the time too. He'd get a bit of milk if he nursed alongside her, but on his own he'd say there was nothing, so I knew he was starting to lose the ability to nurse effectively.

I tried everything to help him because he's get a little frustrated about it, but nothing worked and gradually he started asking less and refusing more when I offered. Then when he was around 4y3m he just stopped asking altogether and gave me these really weird looks if I offered. I didn't think then that he'd definitely weaned because of our experience the previous year, but it turned out that he really had.

He did ask to nurse again about 3 months later and I said yes, but he didn't have a clue what to do! He tried to use my nipple like a straw. I did talk him through it that day, but he just couldn't do it at all. About a month after that, and for a couple of months thereafter, he asked to nurse, but it seemed like just knowing I'd say yes was enough because every time I said, "of course" and went to lift my shirt he'd laugh and say, "Not really."

So in short, I wouldn't think too much of it after a week of no nursing, but that is based purely on my experience of ONE weaning! lol
#3 of 8 Old 06-14-2009, 03:39 PM

My ds was regularly going a week and then two weeks, a month and at the end two months between nursings. It's hard to know when they've actually weaned!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#4 of 8 Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM

My 3yo dd hasn't weaned yet, but I can tell you that it's not uncommon for her to skip a day, a week, even 2 weeks without nursing. She nursed once a week routinely for about 6 months when I was pregnant. There have been a few times when I was just sure she'd weaned, and then she'd ask again!

-Alicia
tandem nursing mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)
My blog: LactationNarration.com
#5 of 8 Old 06-21-2009, 01:21 AM

Well, have you asked her?

I knew DS had weaned when he had gone over a week (?) and I mentioned he hadn't nursed in a while. He was quite proud to say he had weaned!

#6 of 8 Old 06-21-2009, 09:07 AM

I'm nursing my almost 2.5 yr old (almost 3yr old) and I had no idea that they would skip days/weeks of not nursing. Hmnn, my son did not nurse yesterday at all and went to sleep w/o nursing. This morning he nursed. I thought even 24 hours was a long time. Are they still getting milk at this age and does anyone know how much? I've just wondered this?
#7 of 8 Old 06-21-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
Well, have you asked her?

I knew DS had weaned when he had gone over a week (?) and I mentioned he hadn't nursed in a while. He was quite proud to say he had weaned!
That is cute. How old was he?
#8 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
I'm nursing my almost 2.5 yr old (almost 3yr old) and I had no idea that they would skip days/weeks of not nursing. Hmnn, my son did not nurse yesterday at all and went to sleep w/o nursing. This morning he nursed. I thought even 24 hours was a long time. Are they still getting milk at this age and does anyone know how much? I've just wondered this?
In my case, she was probably not getting much milk anyway because I was pregnant when she started decreasing her nursing, and I think that's why she went down to only about once a week nursing. Now that I'm nursing her little sister, there is always milk, so it doesn't matter how long she skips! She's back to about once or twice a day now, but she does skip a day or two sometimes. She's very unpredictable about it!

-Alicia
tandem nursing mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)
My blog: LactationNarration.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page